Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i decided to tackle the power steering gear unit . After all the rusted bolts were finally removed " 2 hours or so" I went to Advance auto and got a remanufatured Ford unit, There were only 4 of them to choose from. After getting home and installing the new unit I went to start the vehcile and all hell broke loose.

After starting the vehicle The steering wheel started jeking back and forth Violently I have never seen this before So I am stumped on what to do next.
Anytime the car is started the wheels Jerks back and forth so does anyone have any ideals on what is wrong with my New Power steering rack?

Tonight I went ahead and told the parts store to order me a new one cause I just dont know what the hell could be goin on.

REPS to someone who can help out with this.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Air in the lines or you have the lines reversed at the rack is my guess.
My guess is you have the lines reversed.

Reactions: SSG Pate

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a few pictures of the old rack before I removed the lines, and I put them back exactly like they came off.

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up being a Bad PS Rack, I replaced it this AM and it turns perfectly, I still have to button up the job, But I wanted to give you guys an update. All the corrections were correct, It was just an internal issue with the rack.

REPS for you all trying to help me out.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
Sorry I didn't read this earlier. Yes, it would have been a defective rack. The treddle valve(the correct term escapes me now) on the steering shaft was bad, allowing fluid to bypass itself and causing the rack to turn. When we turn the wheel on a p/s car, we aren't actually turning the wheels, we are opening a valve and allowing fluid to flow into that side of the rack we are turning to. As the wheels turn to catch up to our steering wheel position, the valve closes, if you move it further, the valve opens and moves the wheels. When you turn the other way, it moves the valve to open in the opposite direction and puts fluid into the opposite side of the rack. We are not actually turning anything but opening the valve, when everything is working correctly that is. Hope this helps.

Reactions: SSG Pate

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finished it up and hour ago and everything worked perfectly handles like a new car now couples with the Polyurethane bushings i installed as well. Thanks for the response atleast I know what was wrong with the rack. Later in the year when i start my build ill be wanting to upgeade the PS line to SS lines.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
I finished it up and hour ago and everything worked perfectly handles like a new car now couples with the Polyurethane bushings i installed as well. Thanks for the response atleast I know what was wrong with the rack. Later in the year when i start my build ill be wanting to upgeade the PS line to SS lines.
There is a great build thread on corral. Guy replaced his lines with braided, and he went into detail on what was required. His build is a 95 low mileage cibra he put a dart blick stroker in with a turbo and six speed or auto, cant recall.

·
Premium Member
13,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill definately check that out thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.