Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a leak at the Rubber bushings on the PS rack so I am going to replace the Rack. Which rack should I go with and where from? I see alot of stuff out there with different gear ratios, but I want someone who has replaced thiers with XX brand that could tell a difference in the way the car handles. Not looking to put the most expensive stuff on just because its expensive I am looking for a good quality product that will last as long as the facory one did 24 years. Thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
The biggest problem is parts listing confusion. Get yourself one that says one or all of the following things: sport suspension, 15:1, 2.5 turns lock to lock, and you'll be fine.

Don't turn your old rack in for core refund until you're sure the one you bought is the right one and it fits properly, you may have to re-use your old bushings if the re-manufactured didn't supply the correct ones.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
Flaming river is who I use for manual rack kits. Get the complete kit for your car. It wont help handlung, it just turns the wheels, doesnt affect handling at all.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is the 15:1, 2.5 turns lock to lock better then what comes stock on these cars?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
The 5.0 came with a 15:1 from Ford starting in 86 or 87, so stick with that. The 2.3 came with a 19:1 or 20:1 im not sure which.

What brand is better? Cant say. I would like to say Ford but i read AGR is better. They are expensive, they are new, and supposedly use improved internals compared to Ford. Store boughts are usually rebuilds and as we all know 'rebuilt' doesnt always mean good. Some places will use 'useable' parts that could fail in 2 weeks or 2 years.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I may just go to Ford and get my Steering rack they can look it up by VIN and get me the right stuff apparently the OEM one is good cause It lasted about 24 years. I have a friend at the dealership so I can get a discount.

·
Super Moderator
13,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up with a OEM Ford rack and the issues were resolved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts