Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I put my motor back together my buddy threw some auto trans fluid in the power steering pump since at the time cars were NOT my forte. My line isn't to tight and leaks a bit. Its getting low and grinding. Can I through vavoline max life fluid in there. It also has stop leak.

If so should I drain the pump first.

·
Banned
464 Posts
auto tranny fluid is fine for ford power steering...
dont put motor oil in it...
just add tranny fluid/power steering fluid and fix the leak...

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Only put in tranny fluid if it's the original pump. Newer ones have different seals and need PS fluid. I ran tranny fluid in mine a while back and it leaked like hell. I had to fill it every couple days and I couldn't find where it was leaking from. I flushed it and put PS fluid back in and everything was good. It still leaks a little.. I gotta top it off maybe once every 2 weeks. When you flush it, you should fill it, then turn the engine on and take the cap off and fill more if it needs it.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So a stock pump wont take to power steering fluid at all? That sounds odd. I wanted to avoid buying trans fluid robot due to have 3/4ths full bottle of power steering fluid looking me in the eye as I type this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
ive worked at 2 ford dealerships and we always used trans fluid in the powersteering units on fords,thats what i would stick with

·
Banned
464 Posts
So a stock pump wont take to power steering fluid at all? That sounds odd. I wanted to avoid buying trans fluid robot due to have 3/4ths full bottle of power steering fluid looking me in the eye as I type this.
stock will take both power steering AND auto tranny fluid.

it doesn't matter if they get mixed.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I would flush. It takes like 10 minutes. If it's not the original than use PS fluid. If it's the stock pump, atf. Stock ones actually call for type F tranny fluid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts