Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a powerassist unit on my 67 coupe. I have done a LOT of research on how to replace the engine and transmission. And that is what I am doing. The only thing I can't find any where is what is a good conversion from pwerassist to true power s teering. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scott,
That is power steering, its just not a modern design.
What you are thinking about is a modern integral steering box with the assist built in the steering box.
This has been discussed alot in other forums and it is not easy to do.
You have to find a steering box replacment the will fit, some guys are trying a Toyota one.
Then the steering shaft has to be adapted to the box. The pitman arm has to be adapted. The power steering pump is still needed but it has to be compatible with the steering box.

What do the photos of your motor have to do with the question?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You could swap to a power rack and pinion, it'll make things easier.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah, the rack and pinion is a well known swap and they come in kit form so the bugs are worked out.
On the down side they are pricey and reduce the already poor turning radius.
If someone can work out all the details for the integral box it would probably be cheaper but its a swap thats just not ready for prime time.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

The box are off of 1986 to 1995 Toyota's called IFS style steering box's.
They are used Alot of on 4X4's I use this same set up on a 1966 conv we did.
It worked great.
We also use total controls power rack and flaming rivers rack and steeriods rack.
Reaally didnt like the steeriods rack.

Good Luck. Hope this helped

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for all the help. Sorry about the pics. I was trying somthing..............Do I need to change the steering colmn to match the Toyota box?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
If you have a late 67, steering box without the long shaft you will be just fine.
if it is a early with the long shaft you will need to get a Late colum from a 1967 or a flaming river tilt type colum.

Good Luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts