Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powerglide transmission is in...it's a complicated process since the bellhousing is C4, so there has to be an adapter plate to connect to the main body. The scattershield surrounds the center. A template is being made so that a custom bracket can be fabricated to connect transmission bracket to vehicle mountings.

An estimate is that the powerglide is maybe 75-100 lbs lighter than the 4r.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
A well built Powerglide will take some serious abuse, just keep it cool. Looks nice. I don't think I know of anybody that's put one in a new stang. My buddy Don Burton runs low 7's with a Powerglide.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 4r70w that we had in the car before was terrific, never missed a beat. We had it reinforced, strong enough to pull both front wheels with transbrake usage.

Now that car has been pulled from the street, allows us to take a build path less traveled. The powerglide is a lot simpler, lighter, only 2 forward gears, and easily upgradeable....but not something anyone would likely consider for even a lightly used street vehicle.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Glides are great, I almost ended up putting one in my 99 Z28 and yeah you just don't street a car with a glide in it. Would that be Total Performance out of Michigan?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
You need big (BIG) power to get the full benefit from the glide

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You need big (BIG) power to get the full benefit from the glide
Yes you do...takes a lot of torque. We plan on using around the same boost level as before (~22 lbs), and with the upgraded heads, cams, JPC intake manifold combo...should work fine but the glide was put in also with the next build in mind (2010-2011), which involves a lot more cubes and much larger turbo

pic of motor back in and interior that's not quite there yet...lol...but does show extent to which this car is being transformed & redesigned, at different levels. Car is going through major rewiring (harnesses from nose of car being moved into passenger compartment and other stuff).

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
What gears will you run?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Is it gonna be ready for NMRA Houston?? :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it gonna be ready for NMRA Houston?? :D
:D

What gears will you run?
Steve will have another post in a while after we dyno the car with a "dead" converter (very low stall converter to feel out our powerband). We can play with the tire size and gearing as well as the stall to get us in the meat of the powerband.

Still a couple unknowns at this point until we have the car on the dyno and ultimately the track but 3.50:1 gears with the current tires should we choose to continue with them will get us roughly where we want to be at the RPM we want to be at. The beauty of a 9" rearend is very easy gear changes with the removable chunk.

Wes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts