Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone bought this kit from super six comes with heads, cam, upper and lower intake, and you can add a t/b? just was wondering wanting to buy it and install it over the summer, but wanna hear some feed back on the quality of the parts. And if anyone has some hp gains from this kit would greatly appriciate seeing some numbers wondering what to expect for gains out of this kit, if its worth it.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
I've been wondering what cams, such as the SuperSix ones, do to gas mileage?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
some people say youll lose a couple, yet some people say they only lost about 1. i saw a thread on another forum where a guy said he had a h/c/i combo (and possibly a 4.2 stroker kit, but i dont remember) and 3.73s i believe and he was getting 25mpgs. if i can remember ill try to find the thread tomorrow, but im going to bed now :D

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
some people say youll lose a couple, yet some people say they only lost about 1. i saw a thread on another forum where a guy said he had a h/c/i combo (and possibly a 4.2 stroker kit, but i dont remember) and 3.73s i believe and he was getting 25mpgs. if i can remember ill try to find the thread tomorrow, but im going to bed now :D
I'll be waiting;).

·
Banned
636 Posts
You will see about 220RWHP with the stage 1 or 2 powerpacks. The thing about the powerpacks is this ..... they are sorta the prelude to a supercharger. They free up and increase flow and makes the addition of a supercharger that much better. Just make sure the cam you get is specd for a supercharger or NA depending on how you want to go.

However the only real way to get any power out of the 3.8 with NA is through a stoker kit.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
are u sure only 220 rwhp? that seems low i have heard that you should be right around 250-275 rwhp with h/c/i. I know that the 275 prob hi compression heads and a stroker kit.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had stage 2 power pak on my friends stang and he was pushin 300s in hp but he had sick tune and full borala pipes and some other small bolt ons but it was a pretty nasty stang

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yea I's say with FULL bolt ons and h/c/i you would be at about 250, maybe a little less. Just throw a windstar on it and you should be a bit higher, I've heard gains after tunes with the windstar are in the 20s for hp and tq.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
Had stage 2 power pak on my friends stang and he was pushin 300s in hp but he had sick tune and full borala pipes and some other small bolt ons but it was a pretty nasty stang
no he wasnt

Not one V6 3.8L or even 4.2L for that matter has made 300RWHP all motor. despite the ease of it, its not been done.

h/c/i you'll be at anywhere between 220-250rwhp
depending on many variables.

Theres a member on this site that just ordered some parts from me he's going to be hitting the dyno soon on an all motor setup. now the cam is a tad big for what the cars out right now but with where it will be its great.

many things like tranny type, bolt ons, upper intake, where the car will rev to, other bolt ons, tuning, motor health will all effect numbers.

Valve size on a stock bottom end mustang is almost worthless.
as it is Stock valves have been taken to over 500whp anyway.

On an all out all motor setup i'd say yes Valve size is critical, as well as a high boost application. but its generally about the flow on the head.
On a boosted car i wouldnt even think about big valve heads until im ready for 500+
all motor is more something to look into but on these motors the outcome is minimal. but on a race gas high flowing top end it could make a HUGE difference

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you going to stay single port?
no but wanting to do the stage 3 power pak first, then port swap, and stroker kit. i have heard about roughly 100hp gain from these power pak kits is that true? because right now i have an underdrive pully, full dual cats, performance chip, with 7.5 trac lock differential, adding the power pak what kind of numbers should i be looking for?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You will see about 220RWHP with the stage 1 or 2 powerpacks. The thing about the powerpacks is this ..... they are sorta the prelude to a supercharger. They free up and increase flow and makes the addition of a supercharger that much better. Just make sure the cam you get is specd for a supercharger or NA depending on how you want to go.

However the only real way to get any power out of the 3.8 with NA is through a stoker kit.
thats on my list of things to do 4.2 stroker kit. but both the power pak kit and stroker kit is expensive s going for one then the other later.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks everyone, um how hard is it to install a cam have never done it before heads, upper, lower intake are just basically bolt ons but cam should i have someone professionaly install it because i know it can't be easy to put in a new cam i have heard its very involved?

·
Banned
636 Posts
no he wasnt

Not one V6 3.8L or even 4.2L for that matter has made 300RWHP all motor. despite the ease of it, its not been done.

h/c/i you'll be at anywhere between 220-250rwhp
depending on many variables.

Theres a member on this site that just ordered some parts from me he's going to be hitting the dyno soon on an all motor setup. now the cam is a tad big for what the cars out right now but with where it will be its great.

many things like tranny type, bolt ons, upper intake, where the car will rev to, other bolt ons, tuning, motor health will all effect numbers.

Valve size on a stock bottom end mustang is almost worthless.
as it is Stock valves have been taken to over 500whp anyway.

On an all out all motor setup i'd say yes Valve size is critical, as well as a high boost application. but its generally about the flow on the head.
On a boosted car i wouldnt even think about big valve heads until im ready for 500+
all motor is more something to look into but on these motors the outcome is minimal. but on a race gas high flowing top end it could make a HUGE difference

Omg thank you chris, I was going to blow a head gasket on that claim.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
thanks everyone, um how hard is it to install a cam have never done it before heads, upper, lower intake are just basically bolt ons but cam should i have someone professionaly install it because i know it can't be easy to put in a new cam i have heard its very involved?
A camshaft isn't to hard to install. But not to scare you from doing the job, a lot of things CAN go wrong during installation that are very critical. cam positioning, propper rocker arm torque, not lubricating what needs to be etc..

something as simple as a camshaft being installed a tooth off or a few degrees incorrectly will result in poor performance and power. You might have the parts and setup to run 250whp all motor but soooo much of it is within correctly installing the parts.
having a cam thats not correctly in place will throw timing off resulting in a power loss. Or depending how out of place it could even cause bent valves on start up!
But its also easy enough that with enough pictures and information it can be done. I would say it requires some mechanical experience though.

Such as if replacing the upper and lower intake manifold was a hard task for someone, then replacing the heads and cam isnt a job I'd recommend someone doing.

here's a simple short idea of the process and whats required
removal of
intake setup(CAI)
ignition coil
drain coolant & oil
vacuum hoses, heater core coolant hoses & radiator hoses
upper and lower intake manifold
belt
water pump(with waterpump removal comes removing the power sterring pulley or the enitre assembly. I personally find it easier to just remove the bracket that holds the pump and alternator pulley, just because every power sterring pulley removal tool breaks and is frustrating.)
timing cover
Timing cover
valve covers
rocker arms
pull push rods and lifters
timing components(cam&crank sprocket & timing chain)
cam thrust plate
then your there.
it doesnt require removing the heads unless of course your replacing the heads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts