Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys/gals, im about to start ordering some more pieces for my front mount setup, including parts for a homemade powerpipe. If im not mistaken the vortech inlet is 3.5" but most all of you are running 4" powerpipes. Is there really any performance difference if I ran a 3.5" pipe instead of 4". Im just thinking thats just 1/2" more wiggle room I have and maybe a slightly smaller hole I have to cut..

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Bigger the intake the less restriction. Alls I did was buy a 3.5-4" 90* silicone coupler for silicone intakes.com. Trimmed the 3.5" side, and then a 4" 45* pipe 1ft long, put a filter on the end of it and done! Cheap mod, and freed up a lot of power.

Was making 378rwhp at 10psi and 16* of timing with the plastic intake, then with that power pipe I made 394rwhp at 9.5psi and only 13* of timing.

If I had 16* of timing, and wound it out (had spark blow out) I probably would hve made close to 420rwhp

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm so the filter just went on the end and it fit pretty good?..I was worried that it would hit the fender and thought I would need another 45 before the filter..

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I wedged the filter in there. But the filter is hanging in the engine bay alittle. I didn't feel like ****ing with it

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol so I can do it either way I guess...thanks for the info man!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yea it doesn't matter. That's how pro charger has it. Not like its a procharger kit from the s197 mustangs have the intake wrapped around sitting right on top of the headers. Lol worst design ever

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since u have already answered my other question shaun I might as well ask you this too...im buying a treadstone tr1235 not the whole cx kit like u have...but im wondering is the s bend necessary because the cx piping kits dont come with it...it is available separate tho

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
There's so many different ways to route your piping. Just search, see what setup you like best

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea some of the cxracing universal intercooler kits that are "for" a mustang have an s bend in the kit

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I dont have my car here, But I think the AFM pipe is 4" and ill never make the mistake of buying that expensive pipe. Im looking into ordering this tonight.
Aluminum Pipe

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Again a good price there too..only thing I notice is that some brand of couplers have a smooth inner radius and some are more of a sharp bend like the one in the link...not sure how much of a difference it makes...im really to anal about some stuff I guess lol

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
Yes the one in the link is prefectly fine any there is no way to get out of having sharp bends when setting up these systems. Trust in those who have successfully set up these things in the past and be assured it work work as well for you as it did for the rest of us.
This piping should get you a good head start on your intercooler too. You will have to cut and shape this pipe and be creative. here is a couple of pictures of mine so you will know what your trying to build.
Cxracing 3" Intercooler Piping Kit Accord Mustang Pipe | eBay
This pipe goes from my passenger side intercooler to the Throttle body.

this is how you notch the bumper to fit the intercooler.

t

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks ssg! I trust u guys thats y I ask...always good to somewhat know what your getting into before hand

1 - 16 of 16 Posts