Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was looking at some videos on youtube, what exactly is powershifting? just shifting fast and letting out the clutch hard?

·
Registered
371 Posts
ive always understood it as shifting without letting up on the throttle, im not positive though

·
Registered
423 Posts
do a search we had about a 7 or 8 page topic on it not to long ago

·
Registered
68 Posts
seems like they never let off the gas when they shift. when they take off they mash the gas then when they shift they keep the gas pedal in and push the clutch pedal, shift and let go of clutch. imagine whatll happen if they shift to the wrong gear lol! KABOOM!!!

·
Forever in our hearts travis_afx
4,391 Posts
Don't lift when you shift...In other words never let off the gas pedal, and engage the clutch as quickly as possible just enough to get into gear. It takes some practice to get it right, is somewhat hard on your clutch and drivetrain, but can make a world of difference in a close race.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
<--- broke a bran new w/c t 5 on my 3rd pass down the track with a n/a carbed 302 ( 12.20 @ 113 ) on drag radials , 1st to 2nd went smoothly, i pulled third and heard this awefull grinding, i pushed in the clutch ( the shifter was in 3rd gear , i didn't miss it ) but what happened was that i stripped the 3rd gear and cluster gears , that's when i upgraded to a tko 500 , yet i've powershifted 4 cyl t5s on slicks in 13.0 cars for months and months and months and never had a problem , go figure

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
power shifting is shifting fast with out lifting, and using the clutch

Pro shifted trans are the ones that you don't use the clutch to up shift.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Actually proshifted just means synchro-less with face plates. You can get a proshifted T-5. And you can shift it clutchless in theory, but if you do it, it will blow up on the first hard shift. the mainshaft is not strong enough to handle the shock load.

Never power shift a T5 either...unless you don't want it anymore.

·
Registered
423 Posts
ya i have heard that even the HD AND W/C T-5's break when powershifted

·
Registered
698 Posts
There is proshifted, there is face plated and there is true clutchless. Trying to shift a proshifted or face plated transmission without a clutch will result in a trashed transmission. I had my toploader rebuilt and faceplated by Liberty's gears in Mich. Check out their web site for accurate info and pricing. A faceplated transmission is a joy to shift at the track but takes alot of practice to drive on the street. I had modified syncros installed for first gear to make it a little easier on the street. A properly shifted face plated transmission at full throttle sounds like a race preped automatic going down the track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts