Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option to get a low mileage 1995 Thunderbird SC engine. Instead of tearing down my engine and having exchange alot of parts from the SC to my mustang to get this project done im planning to sway the whole SC motor into my car. Oh and my car is a 1996 V6 5 speed. So heres the summary of what I'm gonna do: Im going to chuck the old intercooler and install an aftermarket one since those you can cut to fit better in the mustang engine bay. Then I am going to have to do some splicing and dicing. I will use wiring we have spare to create another power wire and grounds/negatives, etc to the 1995 tbird computer (its a five speed computer btw). Than all the A/C, radio, etc... pins i will leave connected to the mustang computer and all the engine related pins will be connected to the S/C computer. I will have to put a custom air intake and filter system on the car of course and yes I have the mustang shorty headers with dual 2.5" exhaust. I am also getting a 1990 tbrd sc pulley since its slightly smaller. But I have a few questions I need solved before buying and proceeding.

1. Will the dual computer system with the A/C, radio etc connected to the mustang ecu and the engine pins connected to the tbird ecu work if i have two power sources to power the computers?

2. Will the tbird sc engine bolt onto the mustang mounts and attach to the fuel lines etc... with no complications?

3. Will my stock v6 5 speed trans bolt onto the S/C engine or is the bolt pattern, shaft, etc... different?

4.Will the shorty headers from my mustang bolt up to the engine with plenty of clearance?

5. Any other areas I must consider?

Please serious answers only! Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
As long as its a 3.8 everything should work and if sc motor already has pilot bearing id change it before you put it all together as for the two computers id just switch all sensors from the 96 motor to the sc motor and go obd2 with it instead of the hasel of 2 computers

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
1. I agree with jrs187. Stick with your stock EEC. You'll just need a tune to run the SC engine.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, it will bolt right up.

4. Yes.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok great! If the tranny won't hook up I can always use my Mustang Motor to get parts to make it fit properly. I hate to have to pay for the tune too but if I must then I guess I will have to. If I get a handheld tuner and use a 95 tbird sc tune it should work since the tuner doesn't mess with the radio and A/C and all that. I have the EEC-V but what sort of tune would I need to get this working? I prefer not to fork it over to a shop and all I can buy is a handheld tuner

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Dyno tune would be best, you could use a stock "sc" tune but your going to need a few things turned off (sensors etc) or it'll throw CELs

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can deal with CELs. its already going off in my car but it's not an actual problem just the sensors being stupid. Might be because of the dual exhaust, porting, or 3" CAI. or maybe it's because of the combination of a 1995 motor, a 1995 harness, and a 1996 computer? I have no idea my brother did the wiring on it when we put the low mileage V6 into it. What sort of tuner will I need to get? I can't seem to find a handheld tuner online that fits a 1995 thunderbird sc

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
I can deal with CELs. its already going off in my car but it's not an actual problem just the sensors being stupid. Might be because of the dual exhaust, porting, or 3" CAI. or maybe it's because of the combination of a 1995 motor, a 1995 harness, and a 1996 computer? I have no idea my brother did the wiring on it when we put the low mileage V6 into it. What sort of tuner will I need to get? I can't seem to find a handheld tuner online that fits a 1995 thunderbird sc
you don't ... you find one for a 1996 v6 mustang.

Also when doing an engine swap you didn't need to swap the harness just the motor. Guess its too late to know that now lol.

·
SpamBOT
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will diablosport be sufficient? And what parameters on it need to be adjusted do you think? sorry i ask alot of questions haha. just gotta make sure I wont screw this up

1 - 8 of 8 Posts