Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been looking into buying a preowned diesel around 100k miles. anyone know if it too many or do they last? i know diesels have a rep for lasting a long time but im apprehensive because i wouldn't buy a 100k gas car

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 7.3 with 112K miles on it and it runs perfect. A lot better then those 6.0 and 6.4 diesels. A 7.3 is great, but when you go fuel it up you almost cry, lol.

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol i bet. do you know how long on ave they are built to run?

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
hey man dad (I call him my dad) runs a buisness has 3 diesels,
1) is a 7.3 with 430kish
2)6.4 with around 200k (he doesnt like that one)
3) a cummings with 320kish

He drives the 7.3 the most out of all of them he bought it brand new he loves it to death but B****'s when he has to fill it up lol

Its quad cab dually the greenish tone color its bad man, I have drove it and I like it to =P

He drives it pretty hard to and he has never had a problem with it so far he said just make sure to change everything on time thats what he has done so far

I called him and asked him he said just take it to a Diesel Mech and see if he can run over it but deff get a 7.3 theyre the best

Just his oppion

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea i like the 7.3l the 6.0l didn't start till 03 right? the truck im looking at is a 2000 reg cab 112,000miles 4x4 7.3l turbo

·
Registered
150 Posts
yea i like the 7.3l the 6.0l didn't start till 03 right? the truck im looking at is a 2000 reg cab 112,000miles 4x4 7.3l turbo
The started making the 6.0 in late 03. Early 03 they were still the 7.3L.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
give me the VIN and i'll run it on Ford. And tell you if its had problems.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
welder out on one of my jobs had a like 95 7.3 with around 170k, and still had a rigged out welding bed on it and pulled a 34 foot travel trailer. it ran strong still.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
The 7.3L are a great motor. I have had 2 of them. The first a '95 that I drove until 195,000k where a deer ended it long before it's time, and a 1999 that my neighbor's son has today. They are reliable and easy to work on. I warn you with a 100k I wouldn't start to modify it at least don't go overboard with it. An exhaust, programmer, and intake are going to be your most practical and safest upgrades. What year is the truck. If it's a '99 then you find out if the wastegate has been replaced. If not when driving the truck listen for a loud noticable whooshing sound during deaccleration. If it's there then odds are it hasn't been replaced. A good cure for this a 4'' turbo housing. That was what I did it will keep prevent overboosting. Also those trannies are weak from day one. It won't take much to kill one. Fortunately I buy all manuals. Also the 6.0L is a great truck I drive one now and I love it. In my opinion it runs a hell of alot better than the new 6.4L. I know this I have driven them all back to back. The company I work for has 3 new 6.4's. My father even has a chip, CAI, and exhaust on his '08 and my '05 destroys it. Another thing that might interest you, most of these motors start to nickel and dime you at around 150k. It doesn't matter how meticulous you might be it's been proven. water pumps, injectors which are $300 a piece, lift pumps, and ofcourse I can't forget the notorious cam sensor which goes out all of the time. Best of luck to you, and if you have any issues drop me a message I knoe these motors all to well.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
yea that welders cam sensor went out on a job, they tried to get it out with channel locks, stripped it out, then it took the mechanic about 4 hours to do a 30 min job.

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not planning on modifying it much. ill probably lift it and put some 35 inchers on it but thats it.

·
Anatidaephobic
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
damn these gas prices i really want to buy this thing but gas will kill me

·
Registered
353 Posts
You know what they say about diesels: They aren't even broken in till 100k miles =p

·
Registered
150 Posts
You know what they say about diesels: They aren't even broken in till 100k miles =p
Well I would say 80K miles its broke in. The Mac tool guy who comes to my work said his brother has a 7.3 with over 400,000 miles on the original engine and pulls the **** out of it.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
run biodiesel:)
Running bio diesel is a great idea, but I warn you it can also be a bad idea. If you live in a cold weather state like myself, bio diesel starts to gel faster than regular #2 fuel oil. The bio fuel is made from, animal fat is the best. It burn hotter than the soy and corn product. I personally have been running bio diesel for about 4 years now, and have had nothing but good things to say about it. I run B60 in the summer and B10 in the winter. Also once you run the bio I don't advise switching from bio to ULSD, unless you like to change your fuel filter often. I used to carry a spare with me at all times because the bio with clean out the fuel system and load your filter within a 1 tank. Good luck with your diesel. If you make it to the dieselplace forums, look me up futureLLYpuller ( it's back from when I had my Duramax).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Running bio diesel is a great idea, but I warn you it can also be a bad idea. If you live in a cold weather state like myself, bio diesel starts to gel faster than regular #2 fuel oil. The bio fuel is made from, animal fat is the best. It burn hotter than the soy and corn product. I personally have been running bio diesel for about 4 years now, and have had nothing but good things to say about it. I run B60 in the summer and B10 in the winter. Also once you run the bio I don't advise switching from bio to ULSD, unless you like to change your fuel filter often. I used to carry a spare with me at all times because the bio with clean out the fuel system and load your filter within a 1 tank. Good luck with your diesel. If you make it to the dieselplace forums, look me up futureLLYpuller ( it's back from when I had my Duramax).
On extreme 4x4 they had a biodiesel hybrid system, that had a small tank with diesel that it ran until the heater in the biodiesel trunk heated up to an optimum temperature. Might be something neat to look into. If I still have it on my DVR I'll post what it's called.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts