Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on getting the Kenne Bell Twin-Screw soon. Just curious as to what all would be a good idea before hand

I'm going to get the engine rebuilt, it's still good.. but.. Just to be safe. Should I get anything special done here? Forged? Etc...

Aswell as any other performance modifications. State the ones I should pick up before hand.

I know they claim you can drop it on a stock motor, although... Seriously.. Fuel Pump sounds like a plan, injectors are probably needed... Although I heard KB has a "Bandaid" for that. Either way. Post it up. So i can Hook it up.

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Planning on getting the Kenne Bell Twin-Screw soon. Just curious as to what all would be a good idea before hand

I'm going to get the engine rebuilt, it's still good.. but.. Just to be safe. Should I get anything special done here? Forged? Etc...

Aswell as any other performance modifications. State the ones I should pick up before hand.

I know they claim you can drop it on a stock motor, although... Seriously.. Fuel Pump sounds like a plan, injectors are probably needed... Although I heard KB has a "Bandaid" for that. Either way. Post it up. So i can Hook it up.
If it's still good don't rebuild it unless you are planning to go above 400rwhp. Also, after that power level, it would be best to get forged internals.

As far as fuel setup, it depends on how much power you are planning to run.

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
If you're getting the motor rebuilt, then that is a perfect time for forged rods, pistons, crank, blower cams, etc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it's still good don't rebuild it unless you are planning to go above 400rwhp. Also, after that power level, it would be best to get forged internals.

As far as fuel setup, it depends on how much power you are planning to run.
The 2.6 KB that I'm purchasing states to give these results on a stock motor

379-504 RWHP 445-596EHP
MUSTANG 4.6 1

So... I do believe above 400 is obvious I guess.... So forged internals..

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
In that case, rebuild the motor with forged internals. You could also order a new shortblock with forged internals from MMR or another reputable company.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In that case, rebuild the motor with forged internals. You could also order a new shortblock with forged internals from MMR or another reputable company.
I'd be better off sending my current one in somewhere and having it completely re-done there. I'm not very mechanically inclined, although I have no problem with learning, nor do I not want to learn... I doubt putting my engine back together is a good place to start.

EDIT: Looking at MMR.. It seems like you can purchase the whole engine. If it wasn't for the images of nothing but the block I'd say it's a drop-in. Once again not very mechanically inclined.

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/600 Shortblock.htm

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
general rule of thumb is 420RWHP is the most you want to push on the stock motor. you will need to upgrade to 42lb hr injectors and your fuel pump as well. oh and dont forget the tune.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I think you will also need an aftermarket hood to clear the KB.

·
Registered
555 Posts
yup need a cowl hood.

what is your budget?

A forged short block with stock heads and cams, an upgraded fuel system with tons of boost should set you over 500rwhp on a good tune.

if you want more(you can prob get to 600rwhp with that blower maybe more) start researching heads either going with ported or Trick flow(race 195 IMO are ideal for big blower power) and throw in blower cams(mph KB Cams are prob best), return fuel system,and upgraded tranny (tko 500 wil prob work fine unless u plan on dragging with slicks)

if this is a strip car then u will want to put money into that rear to get the power down

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
With stock heads and cams, I don't see that blower making more then 600rwhp. And at that, it's pushing it.

You would need some custom blower cams and ported heads to make more then that amount of power.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
The 2.6 is a tuner kit. You will need a completely new fuel system to withstand more power including injectors. Kb also does NOT include a new maf or cobra air intake. You will also need a 03-04 cobra throttle cable. Its not just a plug and play kit like the 2.1. Not to mention all that power is useless without suspension. A built rear and trans is also a good idea. You can run the 2.6 with lower boost but it wont be in its efficiency range at ~400hp. You will need a smaller crank and larger blower pulley if thats the case. It wont be cheap by any means to support it. If 600 is your goal then pm me. Ill give you more info on my build and i should be mid 600s

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I will post this here also just incase people are confused with the kb 2.6. Op is planning on mid 400s-500ish hp. Here was my input. You guys can tell me if im throwing false statements or not.

"Well if you are aiming for that power you will definetly need forged internals so the mmr shortblock will be a good choice. If you read Kenne Bells sight it tells you what the blower will come with and what you will need to install it and have it running. Im at work right now but i have pages saved with tons of info. But the main thing is that the 2.6 is a tuner kit like i stated earlier. Heres a list of thing i can think of that you will need extra

Fuel system - there are many options out there. I will be around 650 and i am gonna run dual gt pumps, -8an fuel line from tank to rails, 60 lb injectors, dual fpdms and upgraded wiring. This setup will be more than enough for what you are going for. I would just buy a cobra hat with stock pumps and then get a bap. Many people have made 600 no problem with just those. and obviously you will need to go with bigger injectors also

Air Inlet system - The 2.6 uses the 03-04 cobra air inlet. I would just find one off of svtp. You can usually find decent cai's for sale over there.

Maf - If you plan on running that much power your car will have to be able to read the airflow going through. Therefore, you should get a new sctba3000 maf or just get a diablosport maFIA. Im going the cheap route and got a maFIA. you can find them for around $100

Throttle cable must be changed to an 03-04 cobra cable because of the angle it attatches.

If you plan on going more power down the road you should switch to an 8 rib setup. I would also suggest the gi joe gripper plate. Both are not needed for where you want to be yet.

Suspension - This should be setup for how you want your car to perform. If you want drag or a corner carver, make it that way. The main things i will suggest to actually be able to use that kind of power is better lcas and flsfcs at a minimum. Tires will also help a lot.

If you plan on being hard on it then i would suggest swapping to 31 splind axles and a new carrier in the rear end. Otherwise if you hook good you will have a good chance of snapping an axle.

For the 2.6, you will need a new hood or you will have to cut your hood and have the blower stick out.

I would suggest at least getting a air/fuel ratio gauge. This will tell you if your car is running correctly and will help you prevent it from going boom. Other gauges are nice to have also, but you should have that one at a minimum

I know plenty of people with that power have been fine with stock transmissions. But a lot of peoples trans dont make it. Im not sure if you are manual or auto but if its a 5 speed. your clutch will definitely not hold up. I would recomend upgrading the whole trans/clutch/stall whatever you have beforehand though

The 2.6 as stated is a tuner kit. You will need to take it to a tuner and have it dyno tuned. If you dont have a handheld tuner i would suggest you get one. Whatever your local tuner uses is what i would get.

Im sure theres more than that but i cant think of anything. There is a lot more that im doing for my kit but you wont have to. Cams will help your application a lot. People have seen gains 80+ hp just by swapping to some blower cams. I would suggest mph kb cams but there are many other options. Heads and full exhaust will also help. Efficiency can only increase by increasing airflow in/out."

·
Granny Shifter
1,051 Posts
I would say that is a pretty good rundown froush.

The Gripper plate is pretty nice, between that and the thump rrr tensioner, my belt holding was definitely improved with an 8 rib.

For an inlet I'm running the new jlt inlet with a SCT BA 2600, it has a pretty good maf location and in the 105mm housing the ba 2600 has a range of somewhere up around 800hp they say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts