Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm finally ready to start putting the wheels in motion for buying up parts for my supercharger build (because $4k non-intercooled kits seem like a rip-off to me), and I just want to ask some questions to make sure that I'm doing everything right and not forgetting anything.

Right now my 02 manual GT has some bolt-ons, Stage 3 Exedy Clutch, and Nittos, so my car isn't completely stock. I'm trying to decide which headunit supercharger is going to be the best. I see that so many members here are running Vortech systems, so is that the best bang for the buck? I know that most people say that a twin screw is going to be the best charger, but I'm in it for 400rwhp and the longevity of my engine's life and the blower itself. So, if the Vortech isn't the company that you guys would recommend, please go ahead and recommend another brand.

As for the actual build, I'm trying to keep the parts under $2,000 and I'll be doing the install myself to save money. Here's a list of parts that I know I need, and if you guys have any advice or I missed a part, please let me know.

- Vortech Headunit (I see that people have the V1 or V2, but I've heard that the V3 is self-lubricating, so which of the three would be the best buy?)
- Bracket assembly ~ $280. I'm taking it that superchargersonline.com's assembly is a good one? Link
- Vortech oil feed assembly ~ $42 (this one good?)
- Vortech oil Drain Line ~ $42 (this one?)
Now, if I got the V3 headunit, would I need the oil feed and oil drain lines? I'm sorry if the question sounds stupid, but I'm new to superchargers and if the V3 is self-lubricating, do I need those two lines?
- Vortech Pulley ~ $73 - now which size would you guys recommend? Also, I'm going to need a new belt right? And is the 6 rib the one that should be used for Mustangs or does it not matter?
- Blow through MAF ~ $300 - does anyone have any suggestions for this?
- Upgraded fuel pump ~ $200 - I'm not sure which one to go with, any help? Also, do I need a BAP?
- Upgraded injectors ~ $300. Are 42s the best to go with or would 39s do the job as well?
- CX Racing $300 DIY Air to Air Intercooler
- Intake assembly - I'm not exactly sure what to go with or use here. I see that most superchargers on here have a fender intake. Any suggestions?
- New spark plugs
- Dyno tune

So that puts my total to $1537 without the headunit. Did I manage to list all the parts needed for a successful and proper future installation? Sorry if it seems foolish, but I want to make sure I have everything mapped out before I start buying parts!

Also, I don't want to do any drilling into my oil pan, because I've seen some write ups here where people drilled into their oil pan to thread it. I want to keep everything other than the intercooler installation as bolt-on and simple as possible!

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
A lot of people say the get 39s because you'll typically find a better price on them compared to 42s. And in most cases, if 42s aren't going to give you enough more fuel to make a difference if you're planning on running more boost.

This is coming from a guy with 42s btw.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of people say the get 39s because you'll typically find a better price on them compared to 42s. And in most cases, if 42s aren't going to give you enough more fuel to make a difference if you're planning on running more boost.

This is coming from a guy with 42s btw.
Appreciate the advice. I'm looking at these 39s:
Ford Racing Mustang EV6 High Flow Fuel Injectors - 39 lb (94-04 V8) M-9593-M39 - Free Shipping!

Is there another brand that's better with 39s? Or should I plan on using those?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive been recommended intercoolers from treadstone over the ones from cxracing
I've been looking into them, but it seems like I'd have to buy the actual core intercooler from them and use piping from somewhere else because I don't see a mustang kit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that is correct you would buy the intercooler from them and the piping from them or some other company
Do you have any suggestions on which model intercooler to get? And it looks like the treadstone ones are smaller than the CX Racing ones...Would I have to cut my support to make it fit with enough room for the AC and radiator to still cool?

·
Registered
166 Posts
the tr10 seems to be a good choice but by no means am i an expert maybe someone will hop in and give more of an expert opinion.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the tr10 seems to be a good choice but by no means am i an expert maybe someone will hop in and give more of an expert opinion.
Thanks, do you know of any proper mounting brackets/hardware though? I can have a shiny new intercooler, but I need to find a way to bolt it up to my pony somehow! Preferably, with the least amount of cutting my supports away.

·
Common sense isn't common
566 Posts
ok a few things...

The injectors ur looking at can be had for a lot cheaper HERE

The adapters you need for the injectors can be added to the purchase for $26.95 (ev6 to ev1) you would also need these for the ones you linked to at AM. as for the 47# vs 42# vs 39# everyone suggests going bigger rather then smaller. There will be no "ill" effects of going a little bigger.

now, as far as your parts list goes you would also need a BOV and the flange for it. The easiest option is from treadstone HERE and then getting the Tial BOV to go with it HERE

as far as an intercooler goes IMO I would do the cxracing one. theres a lot more info on it and will be a lot easier to get help with since its more widely used on forums.

goodluck and hope I helped a little

Edit: your question regarding the oil feed and drain lines is; no, with the V3 unit you do not need those. however finding a good price on a used V3 is near impossible.

The fuel pump i would contact kurgan motorsports LINK apparently they have a drop in fuel pump that doesnt require a BAP and can handle what your looking to make HP wise.

·
566 Posts
I just noticed your located in Georgia. Definetly contact Kurgan Motorsports. there some of the nicest and most down to earth people you will talk to and go above and beyond to answer any and all your questions. If I was you id deff consider them when its time to tune. I hear they do some of the best work in the country.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok a few things...

The injectors ur looking at can be had for a lot cheaper HERE

The adapters you need for the injectors can be added to the purchase for $26.95 (ev6 to ev1) you would also need these for the ones you linked to at AM. as for the 47# vs 42# vs 39# everyone suggests going bigger rather then smaller. There will be no "ill" effects of going a little bigger.

now, as far as your parts list goes you would also need a BOV and the flange for it. The easiest option is from treadstone HERE and then getting the Tial BOV to go with it HERE

as far as an intercooler goes IMO I would do the cxracing one. theres a lot more info on it and will be a lot easier to get help with since its more widely used on forums.

goodluck and hope I helped a little

Edit: your question regarding the oil feed and drain lines is; no, with the V3 unit you do not need those. however finding a good price on a used V3 is near impossible.

The fuel pump i would contact kurgan motorsports LINK apparently they have a drop in fuel pump that doesnt require a BAP and can handle what your looking to make HP wise.
Injectors: So the 47s won't be dumping TOO much fuel to the point that it just hurts fuel economy and doesn't really add power over the 42s or 39s?

BOV: Thanks for the heads up on that. Where in the piping does the BOV and the adapter go? As for the BOV itself, I'm looking at the link you provided me and there's quite a few options. Which one is the proper/best one to pick?

Intercooler: Thanks for telling me about that. I didn't think about it that way. Now I'll be sure to stick to the CX intercooler. My only concern is that I don't want to be cutting away most of my bumper supports if I don't have to. I've heard of people putting it snug up against the AC and radiator, is it worth doing that to save my bumper supports?

V3: I know that people have the debate where they say that a threaded oil pan vs the V3, but I think I'd lean more towards the V3 just because I'd rather blow a headunit (if it had an oil leak) vs. blowing an engine (if that had an oil leak). But, with that said, how much of a price difference would we be talking here, and where should I be looking for the headunits?

I just noticed your located in Georgia. Definetly contact Kurgan Motorsports. there some of the nicest and most down to earth people you will talk to and go above and beyond to answer any and all your questions. If I was you id deff consider them when its time to tune. I hear they do some of the best work in the country.
I'm in Atlanta, so thanks for the advice. I've bookmarked his site and I'll give him a call later this week when I have everything compiled. Really appreciate it.

·
566 Posts
Injectors: So the 47s won't be dumping TOO much fuel to the point that it just hurts fuel economy and doesn't really add power over the 42s or 39s?
From my understanding the tune will dictate how much fuel is actually going to flow through the injectors so it wouldnt effect gas mileage (someone correct me if im wrong).

BOV: Thanks for the heads up on that. Where in the piping does the BOV and the adapter go? As for the BOV itself, I'm looking at the link you provided me and there's quite a few options. Which one is the proper/best one to pick?
Part#Q.11 Pink

Intercooler: Thanks for telling me about that. I didn't think about it that way. Now I'll be sure to stick to the CX intercooler. My only concern is that I don't want to be cutting away most of my bumper supports if I don't have to. I've heard of people putting it snug up against the AC and radiator, is it worth doing that to save my bumper supports?
I cut mine all to pieces and ran the 4 core intercooler only because if I ever crash my car to where I actually needed the bumper support for safety I would prolly be dead anyway lol. But I've seen setups that place it where you are talking about with the 3 core. Doesnt seem to have any negative effects doing so.

V3: I know that people have the debate where they say that a threaded oil pan vs the V3, but I think I'd lean more towards the V3 just because I'd rather blow a headunit (if it had an oil leak) vs. blowing an engine (if that had an oil leak). But, with that said, how much of a price difference would we be talking here, and where should I be looking for the headunits?
Look on craigslist, ebay, and forums. as for price difference I would assume thered be a huge difference if you can even find one. personally I shopped for a headunit for ~4months nd never seen a V3 by itself for sale and after losing a few ebay auctions ended up just paying 1100 for a V2 polished unit with ~500 miles. just make sure theres no shaft play, and the unit is a CCW rotating one with a straight discharge.

and just to play devils advocate with ya consider this: A headunit that uses the oil from your pan is using 5-6 quarts of oil to lubricate it vs whatever the v3 holds, and you can much more easily monitor an oil leak from inside the car via guages to avoid any negative effects to both ur engine AND headunit. Your cars oil guage and even an aftermarket one if you choose to will let you know as soon as oil pressure drops.

Also remember your going to want an wideband guage and probably a boost/vac guage to monitor your car; so theres more money to your list.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, the two parts I'm still looking for are a blow thru MAF and an intake assembly. Where would I be able to find each, and what are the best ones to get?

So, I don't know if I'm making this seem too simple, but for installing a supercharger, I basically bolt up the Vortech bracket near the alternator, bolt up the intercooler in the bumper, connect the piping, put in the BOV and the MAF, and install the pulleys with the new belts? So it'll be air intake to head unit, head unit to intercooler, other side of intercooler through the MAF to the throttle body?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From my understanding the tune will dictate how much fuel is actually going to flow through the injectors so it wouldnt effect gas mileage (someone correct me if im wrong).
Okay, so Bob would be able to take care of that for me?

Part#Q.11 Pink
So when it says 11 psi Spring, 20 and -21 in/Hg, what exactly does that mean?

I cut mine all to pieces and ran the 4 core intercooler only because if I ever crash my car to where I actually needed the bumper support for safety I would prolly be dead anyway lol. But I've seen setups that place it where you are talking about with the 3 core. Doesnt seem to have any negative effects doing so.
That's not comforting about crashing haha. I just don't want to overheat the car, especially at the track when I can't attend to it as quickly as I could just driving around locally where I live.

Look on craigslist, ebay, and forums. as for price difference I would assume thered be a huge difference if you can even find one. personally I shopped for a headunit for ~4months nd never seen a V3 by itself for sale and after losing a few ebay auctions ended up just paying 1100 for a V2 polished unit with ~500 miles. just make sure theres no shaft play, and the unit is a CCW rotating one with a straight discharge.
Did you have to thread your oil pan for the V2?

·
566 Posts
So, the two parts I'm still looking for are a blow thru MAF and an intake assembly. Where would I be able to find each, and what are the best ones to get?
Ok blow through MAF... Alot of people go with a 90mm lightning MAF and run it as a blow through setup. Personally I ended up wanting to spend the extra money up front and get nicer stuff that my tuner would like to work with better. (kurgan from my understanding has no prblem working with the lightning MAF and reccomends it)
I bought this with the optional MAF adapter for $65 with this tube to mount it in.
So, I don't know if I'm making this seem too simple, but for installing a supercharger, I basically bolt up the Vortech bracket near the alternator, bolt up the intercooler in the bumper, connect the piping, put in the BOV and the MAF, and install the pulleys with the new belts? So it'll be air intake to head unit, head unit to intercooler, other side of intercooler through the MAF to the throttle body?
you have it basically right. Its a little more complicated then just a normal bolt on mod since some of the piping can be a pain to get exactly right, you need to make brackets for the intercooler, and you need to cut ur fenderwell a little to get the piping to come up through and to get the air filter to fit. but yes it would go air filter to headunit, headunit to BOV, BOV to Intercooler, intercooler to other side of intercooler, piping up through fender to MAF, MAF to throttle body.

·
566 Posts
Okay, so Bob would be able to take care of that for me?
Again, im hoping someone else will chime in but from my understanding of how it works, yes. if you dont get an answer from here definetly include it in a list of questions your gonna have for Kurgan.

So when it says 11 psi Spring, 20 and -21 in/Hg, what exactly does that mean?
Honestly, Ill be the first to admit I have absolutely no clue, I just know its what I bought and have been told to buy multiple times from these forums and my tuner.

Did you have to thread your oil pan for the V2?
yes. Its alot simpler then you think, just save your old oil that you drained before tapping it and when your done drilling run that old oil through the engine to wash out any meta shavings that may have gotten in the oil pan.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the oil pan, I've just heard so many stories about how the return or delivery lines sometimes leak and that would be a big problem for me.

As for the install of the supercharger, the only part that truly requires bolting is the intercooler and headunit bracket? I can install the intake to the headunit all the way through to the throttle body like we just talked about and IN THEORY it'll just work? I know I need a tune immediately, but I am just being hypothetical. I don't need to do anything else really? Like it acts just like putting a CAI kit on the car? Just bolt it up, make sure nothing leaks, and it would start perfectly fine? It just sounds so simple to me (I know the intercooler would be a total PITA). What about the pulleys and such? How would all that connect and work (like making sure the headunit is running off the pulley system)?

·
566 Posts
Mines currently sitting with only the intercooler, piping, MAF, BOV, and headunit mounted so I haven't got to the pulley yet but it looks like it'll just go right where the old one was and you use the idler pulley that the bracket kit comes with and make sure everything is connected.

You have it all right it seems though.

As for the drain/feed lines leaking think about it this way; people only say anything about the bad. How many people are supercharged running the v1 nd v2 who haven't had a problem? I'm sure tons. Just take ur time doing it. If ur worried about the integrity of the line itself. Upgrade to braided SS lines.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mines currently sitting with only the intercooler, piping, MAF, BOV, and headunit mounted so I haven't got to the pulley yet but it looks like it'll just go right where the old one was and you use the idler pulley that the bracket kit comes with and make sure everything is connected.

You have it all right it seems though.

As for the drain/feed lines leaking think about it this way; people only say anything about the bad. How many people are supercharged running the v1 nd v2 who haven't had a problem? I'm sure tons. Just take ur time doing it. If ur worried about the integrity of the line itself. Upgrade to braided SS lines.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Well if the price difference is huge between V1/2 and V3 headunits, I might consider the oil lines. What do you think I could find a V1/V2 for and which one do you think is better?

Also, do you have any recommendations on spark plugs or intake assemblies? And I'm wondering if it matters if I get a 6 rib pulley? Is that what most people use, or is it because any other size won't fit? Also, what size belt should I get? And when people say that they put a smaller pulley on, what exactly have they done? Like did they change all the pulleys in the whole car?

I appreciate all the help you've provided so far!

1 - 20 of 98 Posts