Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...this question goes out to any of you that have driven your mustangs in the winter...I'm in the process of prepping it up for the winter :( and was curious if any of you actually have put extra weight in the back? I've been told to do so and I've been told not to do so. Some people tell me I HAVE to have it some people say it will affect my suspension and that it doesn't need the extra weight ...:confused:

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Winter beater FTW... A lot of places will tell you to put weight in the back, but the issue I see with it is it changes the driving performance, so in certain conditions it handles differently than what you are used to if say, you where going to spin out the rear end. The weight should help keep the tires planted better, but a good set of snow tires should help out better than added weight. The important thing here is to make sure not to gun it! Second gear starts and nice and easy!

My 06 V6 barely survived it's last winter here, two accidents, both related to ice = sucky! Slid into another Mustang, very light damage (slow speed, 10mph here). Entered a corner at around 10 MPH, hit a section of ice and slid the rest of the way into her... really sucked. The other one was a similiar situation, lost traction mid corner and slid over a curb...

Needless to say, it wont kill you to drive at 20 MPH on city streets (yes even the ones marked 45)... just plan ahead and brake early and slow down at each and every light...

Personally though, I'd go, if you can swing it, and purchase a beat FWD 4 banger and use it all winter, or a pickup. That way you dont expose the 'stang to all the salt they throw down on the roads, and the lack of a good cleaning for months on end.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally though, I'd go, if you can swing it, and purchase a beat FWD 4 banger and use it all winter, or a pickup. That way you dont expose the 'stang to all the salt they throw down on the roads, and the lack of a good cleaning for months on end.
That's what I'll be doing next winter....unfortunately I'm stuck driving it this one winter because I know longer have a garage or driveway for that matter to store it (and i dont want to pay and store it somewhere else because as stupid as this sounds I have to be able to check on it at all times lol....but thankfully I'm moving next summer :) to a lovely place that will have a garage....and my baby can hibernate during the winter

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
winter tires, blizzaks FTW and the weight would be unnecessary then.

Personally, throwing 50-60 lbs of sand or salt in the trunk isn't going to hurt a damn thing in your suspension. Half of us are carrying 5 times that in stereo equipment.

·
6,578 Posts
winter tires, blizzaks FTW and the weight would be unnecessary then.

Personally, throwing 50-60 lbs of sand or salt in the trunk isn't going to hurt a damn thing in your suspension. Half of us are carrying 5 times that in stereo equipment.
Hurt no, but change how the car reacts in turns, probably enough to throw you off.... At least it did for me =(

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
compensate elsewhere if that's the case. We are still talking about winter driving are we not? This is a non comparison to handling and performance traits that car will have for spirited driving. I thought we were talking about making a car work well during the winter. Part of that is driving properly for the conditions at hand. You mentioned alot of that yourself whiskey. So I'm assuming we are on the same page here.

In the s197 platform, a set of snows and some weight in the back gives this car a very firm feel in snowy icey conditions in both acceleration and deceleration. It really is a night and day difference.

Regardless - if you get nice weather, put the sand bags in the garage and go find some roads to play on. When your done, toss it back in. Weight and suspension reaction is then not relevent for the addition baggage.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regardless - if you get nice weather, put the sand bags in the garage and go find some roads to play on. When your done, toss it back in. Weight and suspension reaction is then not relevent for the addition baggage.
How much weight is needed approx to be more solid? I've gotten so many different answers that I'm not sure how much sand or saltbags I should be buying. I had one guy tell me he drove a winter with about 150 lbs on each side...:confused:

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
that's over kill.. I'd start with about 75 lbs and not do much more than 100lbs because of our sub floors for the spare tire well. It's a composite board that with too much weight can be deformed.

All your trying to do is get a little less tire spin in adverse conditions, no need to make the thing lean to the rear.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with Emay, 75-100 will be good. It will help plant the tires. But way way way way ahead of that in terms of what will help would be the blizzacks. These blizzack tires are unbelievable, get a set of those and you'll be all set.

I know you said you can't do it this year, but the winter beater is the way to go. That's what I do.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Emay, 75-100 will be good. It will help plant the tires. But way way way way ahead of that in terms of what will help would be the blizzacks. These blizzack tires are unbelievable, get a set of those and you'll be all set.

I know you said you can't do it this year, but the winter beater is the way to go. That's what I do.
I already got my winter tires :( and they ain't no blizzaks....they're the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW3 ....i just hope they get me through the winter. I'm honestly a bit nervous getting through the winter with my stang

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's over kill.. I'd start with about 75 lbs and not do much more than 100lbs because of our sub floors for the spare tire well. It's a composite board that with too much weight can be deformed.

All your trying to do is get a little less tire spin in adverse conditions, no need to make the thing lean to the rear.
thanks alot for your input it really helped me :)

·
babe, let's get packed
2,034 Posts
If there's a storm in the forecast, I always fill the gas tank in the Subaru. At 6.5 lbs x 15 gallons, adds almost 100 lbs over the rear tires. :yes

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If there's a storm in the forecast, I always fill the gas tank in the Subaru. At 6.5 lbs x 15 gallons, adds almost 100 lbs over the rear tires. :yes
I'll definately almost always be riding on a full tank....because at the rate my stang is drinking gas right now .. (the winter tires...the remote start...the hours of traffic)..it's killing me...thats another reason why this is the first and last winter i'll be driving it.

·
babe, let's get packed
2,034 Posts
I've got remote start in the Subaru too! :D And heated seats and side mirrors.
If I only had a heated steering wheel!

07GT: Can't beat a Subaru for New England winters!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Jeep Wrangler is my winter ride, spring ride, summer ride, and fall ride.
I had an 04 Wrangler Sport for 3 years before I got my Mustang. My logic was that I could have the top down in the summer and still drive it in the winter. While that was true, I just didn't like the way it drove, relatively speak of course. They are cool rides though, if I could have lots of different cars, I'd still have one.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Mustang is the worst to drive in snow. I tried once because I had to and never made it out of my old apartment complex. I agree with the winter beater

·
6,578 Posts
I'll definately almost always be riding on a full tank....because at the rate my stang is drinking gas right now .. (the winter tires...the remote start...the hours of traffic)..it's killing me...thats another reason why this is the first and last winter i'll be driving it.
Are you a manual or auto? You can do 3rd gear starts in the auto really easily... just move the trans to the 3rd gear spot... that will certainly help ALOT.

Last year I googled "Mustang driving in the snow" and got a lot of good webpages pertaining to driving Mustangs in the snow. You should read up on "winter driving" tips for Mustangs... Thankfully I have the privalage of driving my dads I4 Ranger for the winter!! Phew!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts