Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Havent had a rainy day like this in a while. Kind of has me down. Got the 3.73 gears and t-lok as mentioned from a guy off CL for $100 as mentioned. Damn rain is terrible to drive in on the car..

But that's beside the point. Filled the tank up last night, went through a quarter and a half tank of gas since then (only 65 miles). I could literally see the gauge needle slowly go down every few miles.

I've been having this terrible gas mileage for weeks now. Can't figure out what it is. Could probably be a mistake on my part- wouldn't know where to look though. I have no idea though. I just had it dropped off at a local shop for a tune/check-up. They're also mounting my wheels for me.

I have to shake my head though. I suck at driving stick- frustrates me on long rides- I got soaked from the rain, car is acting up.

/emo

other than getting the gear and tlok installed those are my last mods until the end of the summer. I need to save for college and I'm having problems with the car which need to be paid for. :/

Oh yeah, tlok and gears, yay. Cheer me up?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Imagine driving in heavy rain with performance tires and 4.10 gears. It's way too easy to get the tires spinning :p As far as your gas mileage, how many miles are on your car and what have you done for maintenance since you got it?

Edit: Don't worry about sucking at driving a stick, you'll get better. You just have to get a good feeling for where the engagement point is for the clutch and slip the clutch as you press the gas. Don't worry about slamming through gears until you've got normal shifting down really well. Have you worked on rev matching for downshifting? Basically the same deal goes for shifting up, you have to know what your RPMs are going to be at when you shift (relative to your current speed). It takes practice man. Very few people hop into a car with a manual transmission and have no problems without practice.

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Imagine driving in heavy rain with performance tires and 4.10 gears. It's way too easy to get the tires spinning :p As far as your gas mileage, how many miles are on your car and what have you done for maintenance since you got it?
my nt555s and 4.10s are fun in the rain... and quite a bit scary down the highway

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
my nt555s and 4.10s are fun in the rain... and quite a bit scary down the highway
Lol have you ever ran them in the snow? Last year I put my Sumis on a little too early and got a light dusting of snow while I was at work. Couldn't get traction to save my life. And this past winter I had all-seasons on my Bullitts. It was snowing one night and I was getting on the highway. I knew it was slick so I was doing about 25mph and I shifted into 3rd so I wouldn't be hitting high RPMs. Slipped the clutch, lightly accelerated, and ended up sideways headed for a ditch. Thank god I can drive and got myself straightened out but RWDs suck when winter comes :p

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
I wonder why everyone gets terrible mileage. I went from 3.27 to 4.10 and I dropped ten-twenty mile off every tank.. So from 320-300 mile a tank. Always speeding and burning out and other gas guzzling stuff..

·
1 Wheel Peel
3,747 Posts
Lol have you ever ran them in the snow? Last year I put my Sumis on a little too early and got a light dusting of snow while I was at work. Couldn't get traction to save my life. And this past winter I had all-seasons on my Bullitts. It was snowing one night and I was getting on the highway. I knew it was slick so I was doing about 25mph and I shifted into 3rd so I wouldn't be hitting high RPMs. Slipped the clutch, lightly accelerated, and ended up sideways headed for a ditch. Thank god I can drive and got myself straightened out but RWDs suck when winter comes :p
A few days lol. I then put my stockers on with all seasons and it was like driving an awd car after the nittos

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
are you having bad gas mileage all the time or only when its full? if its when the tank is full, check the filler neck grommet, its probably bad. had this happen to me. its also an easy/cheap fix.

·
Registered
928 Posts
300 miles!!!i wish

·
Registered
928 Posts
I thought I have been driving it easy and ive owned three now most ive ever gotten is 250 I seafoam every couple oil changes and keep up with regular maintenence always but 420 miles?with a procharger?you sure your odometer isnt in km

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I thought I have been driving it easy and ive owned three now most ive ever gotten is 250 I seafoam every couple oil changes and keep up with regular maintenence always but 420 miles?with a procharger?you sure your odometer isnt in km
I'm sure. Having an A/F gauge and boost gauge has helped me to improve my economy driving a ton. I know exactly when it goes from 14.7AFR to ~12ish for power. if I stay at 14.7 and keep my boost gauge in vacuum I get amazing mileage. It takes like 0 throttle on the highway with my stock gearing.

Most of the time I take shifts 1-3 to about 5k rpm and still get around 20-22mpg in town.

The time I got 420 miles on a tank I was driving on white snow the entire time only going about 55. If I gave it any throttle it would just start spinning the rears and fishtailing.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@mp4- holy crap! 5k rpms? I never go that high unless I'm trying to go fast.. haha

300! That's probably a little more than I get and I am really slow at shifting and I always shift around 2000-2500, sometimes 3000. I just got the 3.73s like I said so stock gears right now. Terrible pick up.. until I get into 3rd gear, then I'm moving.

I can't rev match too well either, and I'm slipping the clutch for 1st gear only which has worked out well rather than letting it out.

Right now I'm thinking it's my injectors/wires/coil/grommet. Can't be suree.. we'll see.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was looking at the t-lok and the guy had these rings tied to it. I suppose they go with it. I don't know what they're for but there's 2, and one snapped somehow. Not sure if it's vital to have or if I can use my stock rings or the ones from the installation kit from AM.. help?

day cant get worse :l

EDIT: Figured out it was a carrier/pinion shim. No big.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I was looking at the t-lok and the guy had these rings tied to it. I suppose they go with it. I don't know what they're for but there's 2, and one snapped somehow. Not sure if it's vital to have or if I can use my stock rings or the ones from the installation kit from AM.. help?

day cant get worse :l

EDIT: Figured out it was a carrier/pinion shim. No big.
Yeah, you'll likely need different ones anyways.

I remember I measured and my stock shims would have worked perfectly. Tried to put them back in and broke one :(

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hahah why do they break so easily I wonder :( ?

oh well, I was going to get the installation kit anyway. 3.73s will be perfect for me, since driving stick is hard enough. 4.10s I wouldnt be able to handle.

Time to start the bank account mod.. :D

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
I only read the bad gas mileage part so pardon me kind sirs... I get terrible gas mileage too!!! I mean it's always been bad... But it started getting worse after I got my duals, which is about 3 months now?! And then worse after I swapped the fuel filter (purolator) a month ago... Any thoughts on this?!

I don't think I have a heavy foot on the gas...

1 - 20 of 83 Posts