Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a little reading around and this is what I'm getting:

Milky sludge on oil cap
Very slow coolant leak

Also had my girlfriend follow me on a trip and just found out that she saw white smoke from my exhaust but not a lot. (I had to ask, she didn't tell me -__-)

Any other signs I should look for?

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
Check the actual oil in the pan, look at what's on the dipstick. Has the engine ever been overheated? Do a compression test. Hell, hook up a vacuum gauge and see what it's doing.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the actual oil in the pan, look at what's on the dipstick. Has the engine ever been overheated? Do a compression test. Hell, hook up a vacuum gauge and see what it's doing.
Just recently got my oil pan gasket replaced, no idea if engine has been overheated before I owned it, and I'll have to have a shop do a compression test when I get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
Also, another thing to check or replace would be the oil filter adapter/ lower water neck gasket. If that leaks, that can cause oil and coolant to mix. It can also let both fluids leak out, especially on cold start up. How does the engine run?

Check over all of your hoses. Check to make sure you don't have an intake manifold gasket leak. Look in the engine valley. Is there any coolant there?

Unless the engine has been overheated, there's a slim chance that the head gaskets are bad.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've noticed I don't leak anything onto the driveway. And the engine bay is clean except from the tiny bit of oil that peeps out the top (need a breather) and a little bit of moisture on the breather tube running from the air filter tube to intake.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Could be a cracked intake manifold. But Its sounding more like a head gasket. Make sure you order fords Head change kit its really cheap

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
Highly unlikely it's a head gasket. Any codes?

What are you talking about when you say "And the engine bay is clean except from the tiny bit of oil that peeps out the top (need a breather)"? What are you looking at? Confirm that it's a not everything else before jumping to the head gaskets.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No codes at all. And there's like less than a teaspoon of oil spread from like the top of the valve covers/little crevice on the block. I'd take a picture, but I'm not near my ride at the moment.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It would start overheating if it was a headgasket. The oil is a little wierd though. Take a flashlight and look in the valley of the motor to check for coolant. You could pull the intake off aswell. If those gaskets went then you would see white smoke. This would also cause coolant in your oil.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
do a leak down test. pretty easy and quick to confirm if its headgasket or not. you can pick up a cheap kit at harborfreight. but it could also be burning coolant from a cracked intake manifold or like others said the oil filter housing gasket

·
WOT Junkie
1,163 Posts
It couldn't hurt to replace the valve cover gaskets and grommets. A little film of oil like you're describing isn't anything to really be concerned about. Make sure the PCV valve is still good.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And that'll stop some of the oil from spurting out? How difficult is it to change valve cover/intake gaskets? I have a 5.4 in it so the valve covers are huge and seem fairly easy to get to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts