Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my plugs today and now when i am driving it it seems to have lost power. When I press the gas it seems like its trying really hard to get going. kinda like sputtering almost. What did i do wrong? has anyone else had this happen?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess the obvious thing to check is did you gap the correctly? Also are they genuine Motorcraft plugs? Are the plugs the ONLY thing you changed?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the plugs were gapped to recommended specs .44 and that was the only thing i changed. I even threw the old ones back in to see what was the problem and its still doing it even with the old ones so i tried again. Don't know what the hell is going one.

·
Registered
164 Posts
A common problem I have with the older cars I keep buying is the plug wires. Especially the cheap ones, you tug at them to get them off the plug and that metal clip breaks off inside of the boot. Perhaps you damaged a wire?

I would if you haven't already, let the car idle. Then, one at a time pull a plug wire off of the distributor (or right at the plugs). If the idle gets rough, the wire is probably good. If the idle stays about the same when you pull one, it could be bad.

I know you only said it didn't seem to have any power when you give it gas, so this test may not be the right solution, but if you haven't already, it is worth a try.

Other basic things to check for loss of power:
Fuel filter
If you have the equipment; fuel pressure.
Air filter - is it very old/dirty?

·
Registered
282 Posts
did you put the plugs on in the right order? I wonder if the I4 would be the same as a 350 v8 when you mix up the wires. Runs rough at idle then spits and sputters and backfires soon as you touch the gas. Nice sounds :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
it's funny when i think of it... in my lifetime i've had many more bad plug wires than spark plugs.

yet manufacturers only recommend spark plug changes when doing a tune up...

·
Resident asshole
1,694 Posts
Did you use that dialectic silicone on the plus ends into the boot. They may not be getting good contact

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i looked online for a diagram of what order the plugs go and i found alot of different ones but never one that was the same:confused:. does anyone have a diagram that they know for sure is correct for a 1992 2.3l lx N/A. I'm going to buy new wires and recheck the gaps again.... Here's hoping

·
Registered
660 Posts
i looked online for a diagram of what order the plugs go and i found alot of different ones but never one that was the same:confused:. does anyone have a diagram that they know for sure is correct for a 1992 2.3l lx N/A. I'm going to buy new wires and recheck the gaps again.... Here's hoping
since the DIS system is a waste spark system (the plug fires on both compression and exhaust stroke), all you need to worry about is the bank left of the primary electrical connector is placed on cyl 1 and 4, and the bank to the right of the connector is on cyl 2 and 3. That goes for both coils.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The coil packs are numbered by cylinder, clean them, and they are self explanatory. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts