Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I know there was already a thread about this and someone had this problem before but i couldn't find it. I went to get gas today and at about half a tank the pump clicked off like as if the tank were full. Switched to a diff pump, same thing would not let more than like 10cents of gas in each time it would click. What is the reason for this and can it be remedied without going back to the dealer? thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
it's been a fairly common occurrence for me as well, I think it's even mentioned in one of the TSBs. They just had a bad design for our tanks, causes some backwash to reach the nozzle and it shuts it off. You can do what Zip said, usually works, or try pumping extremely slowly for a few seconds then gradually get to full flow.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i tried to pump really slowly, but it was some freaky pump where it was almost like all or nothing when i squeeze the handle so it didn't work out too great. i'll try the parallel trick, thanks. what does that do exactly?

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
My fuel gauge gets out of whack when I dont drive it for a few weeks. I pulled it out the other day and it was on Empty when I thought I had about half a tank. I get to the gas station, about 5 miles away. Pull in and it moves back up to half tank :rolleyes:. Didnt mean to highjack your thread

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nah np, i get the same problem sometimes, especially if i let it run a little low close to the E line... i'll top it off full but it'll only read ~1/2 a tank then next time i start it or if it runs for a while it'll read Full.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
From the NHTSA website:

SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE YEAR : 2006 Make : FORD Model : MUSTANG Results : 1 | All records displayed Make : FORD Model : MUSTANG Year : 2006 Manufacturer : FORD MOTOR COMPANY Service Bulletin Num : 06313 Date of Bulletin: JAN 01, 2006 NHTSA Item Number: 10019387 Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS Summary:
FUEL FILL SLOW, OR DIFFICULT TO FILL. *TT

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
I've had that issue... I think its that maybe some bubbles form in the line and makes the pump think its full, I ussually just shake it a bit and it continues fine.

Also... theres a TSB for the fuel gauge, mine has been switched once already, don't know if its the same issue... mine turns red and shows 0 miles of gas left... then after a while, it slowly climbs back up... but I mean a while like 5-10 minutes maybe...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
i tried to pump really slowly, but it was some freaky pump where it was almost like all or nothing when i squeeze the handle so it didn't work out too great. i'll try the parallel trick, thanks. what does that do exactly?

Dude this happends to me too. I thought i was just retarted or something. I usually have to squeeze the trigger about half way and just pump it really slowly. But sometimes i just keep trying to stick the nozzle in the tank at different angles or stick it in really far or not as far etc until i find the spot it works. I acually had this problem today with our Jeep Grand cherokee too. So i think its just the way you put the nozzle in the tank. You have to stick it in the right way i guess? ive never had this problem until like 1 month ago. now everytime i fill up this happens and everyone just looks at me like i dont know how to pump gas. its embarrassing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow! Same thing for me. I never wanted to bring it up before to anyone I figured people would think Im stupid but yeah I hate that it just frustrates me and I give up half ways! Lmao I feel a lot better now that its the car that does it not me lol. Ill try the parallel next time. THANKS A BUNCH!!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same problem when i fill up on base, I turn the nozzle upside down and it will work. It only does it if it is pretty low on gas. I have an 08 so Ford must not be in much of a hurry to fix it. I was afraid my system was defective. Dont want to wait on more parts from the dealership, already waiting on parts for the driverside seat.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Wow! Same thing for me. I never wanted to bring it up before to anyone I figured people would think Im stupid but yeah I hate that it just frustrates me and I give up half ways! Lmao I feel a lot better now that its the car that does it not me lol. Ill try the parallel next time. THANKS A BUNCH!!!!
Yeah. You just have to fill it sideways.

Don't be mad at your beautiful fine Ford product.

Think of it as spooning your Stang. lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
The gas tank on the mustang is a poor design. instend of being a rectangle shape tank. it is in a saddle bag shape so it is hard for the gas to get on the passenger side of the tank. i had that problem with filling up and bought a new fuel tank sensor than found out that the tank has two sides. also some of the fuel pumps have senstive cut off. i just pump the gas slow.

·
Registered
488 Posts
There is a TSB for the 05-06 models but supposedly after a certain date they got the new styles tanks. I had never had an issue with my car until recently when the gas station I usually use changed all their nozzles. Now I cannot fill the car at that gas station. So nozzles are part of the issue. There is also an issue with the Vent Solenoid hose which is under that protective pan at the rear of the car. There is a filter in there that can get plugged and if you take it apart and blow it out it can help.

Here is the TSB

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10281/tsb05-04-08fueltank.pdf

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it only happened to me once so far at one gas station but i remembered previous posting about the same problem and got a little nervous. i was going to just stand there and keep pumping like that with it clicking off every few seconds but the pump actually went off on safety after like 10 clicks.... went to a diff pump and the same thing happened. it's not my normal gas station so hopefully it was just the one place

1 - 20 of 20 Posts