Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I had these LTH put in yesterday and am getting a check engine even after tuning the car. The mechanic who installed them told me 2 of the o2 sensors wouldnt fit so he had to put dummies to fill the holes. My air to fuel ratio is 20.0 (doesnt move at all). Is this because the computer is all whacky from the dummies? Or is my air to fuel really that high? My car seems to be running pretty well, but the check engine is going to screw me once inspection rolls around. The guy who did my car wont be in until monday or I wouldve went back already. Anyone know if this is safe to drive with and is just a computer malfunction? The sound is also extremely loud especially on cold start. Didn't expect the headers to make that much of a difference compared to having just the borla s type catback I had alone. Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
The computer needs the input from the o2 sensors. The CEL is not a computer malfunction. Its the install screwing it up. What do you mean by "dummies to fill the holes"? Why wouldnt the o2 sensors fit? Is the harness not long enough, or are the o2 sensors too close to the floorpan? If the harness just wasnt long enough to reach, you will need harness extensions. What year? The 96-up had issues if you used the wrong hpipe because the sensors were repositioned at some point. The floorpan got in the way. Not sure about long tube applications. Have you considered MIL eliminators? Never messed with those myself so i cant say much about them.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
If something is in the way of installing the O2 sensor's,new holes can be drilled and O2 sensor bungs can be welded in place at another location on the LT's.You wanna locate them as close as possible to the stock location.The farther away they are from the head,the cooler they will run and a O2 sensor needs heat to work,eventhough it has a heater built in.They have to reach a minimum temp of 600°.
If the holes are in the right place,but the wiring harnesses are too short to reach the main O2 sensor harness,extension harnesses are available that plug in between each O2 sensor & the main O2 sensor harness.The link & picture shown below details this extension harness that fb93 mentioned.

https://lmr.com/item/SVE-1676A/Mustang-SVE-50L-46L-SVE-O2-Sensor-Extensions

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts