Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
heres the story:

when i received my 2000 mustang GT the front left brake produced more brake dust than the right. so after about a month of driving, it started to grind like hell! and for me not knowing a lot about cars i just said oh it'll be fine for a bit.... 3-4 weeks later we pulled apart the left front system and the rotor was ground past being able to turn it. and the pads were past the metal.

so i went out and bought a set of raybestas ceramic pads and put em on both sides, as well as a new left rotor, just like the stock one. (the right rotor was just fine.)

now the front left still produces about twice the amount of brake dust as the right. is there somthing thats off here? or....

thanks!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Did you change the caliper? It appears to be sticking. My 2000 GT did exactly the same thing and since I needed everything rotor, pads and caliper, I just went ahead and bought the 13" Cobra upgrade kit.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope didnt change or do anything to the caliper. i would get the brembo kit but thats a lot of $. and i plan on doing full bolt ons and tune + rims tires and susp. in the spring. lol, so what would i have to do to stop it from sticking?

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
You might get away with taking it apart and lubing it, but I've alway just replaced them when they went bad.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Sounds like a bad caliper as stated above. If you know how to do it, it can sometimes be freed up by taking it apart and putting anti seize compound on the sliders.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kool, thanks i'll try that and hopefully it works. oh, and is it bad if you smell your brakes? like smoke? thats just because i'm working them hard right...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts