Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting ready to redo my rear end but before i do that i need to know if by doing so it will also fix this problem where in 5th gear on the highway the shifter is just going crazy rattling buzzing etc and i was told that it sounds like the gears are outta pitch.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Im getting ready to redo my rear end but before i do that i need to know if by doing so it will also fix this problem where in 5th gear on the highway the shifter is just going crazy rattling buzzing etc and i was told that it sounds like the gears are outta pitch.
Sounds like a good old T5 on its last leg. I've had a couple with worn out bearings do that. In both transmissions the teeth on the input shaft and a couple other gears were razor thin as well. I'm sure something else could cause the shifter rattle problem but that is what caused the issue when I experienced it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok lets say the transmission is the problem and its only doing this in 5th how long will this thing last under normal driving (no racing).

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
ok lets say the transmission is the problem and its only doing this in 5th how long will this thing last under normal driving (no racing).
Its hard to tell. As long as it is not getting stuck in any gears it will probably be ok for a while.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Mine makes noise when it's in 5th too but it only really started when I installed the pro 5.0 shifter. Ive played with the adjustments on the shifter but still makes noise. I just assumed it was the shifter but maybe mines heading south to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i just found out ive got a steeda tri ax not to long ago (i wonder if this has anything to do with it due to the fact that the previous owner is gaining a rep with me on not installing things right)

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Check the shift stop bolts and maybe give them a turn or two to give the shifter some more room.

·
Registered
292 Posts
hey I have a hurst shifter in mine and it also rattles but when I am on the interstate in 5th if I left off the gas it pops out of gear, should I back out the stop bolt a little because it is not fully in 5th or what?

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
hey I have a hurst shifter in mine and it also rattles but when I am on the interstate in 5th if I left off the gas it pops out of gear, should I back out the stop bolt a little because it is not fully in 5th or what?
The shifter stops should be adjusted properly when installed or it will do damage to the transmission.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yeah, especially if it keeps the gear from fully engaging, not good. If I remember right (I've only ever see one fox mustang with a stock shifter), the stock shifter doesn't even have shift stops.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
my b&m ripper ratles in 5th just doesnt sit against the stops all the way it only does it if you get on it in 5th

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine does the same thing i guess i will just check the stop and adjust to see if it fixes it cause like u said it only does it when i get on it in fifth no other gear

·
Registered
292 Posts
yeah mine pops out only in 5th and driving around town it is fine its only when I am on the interstate I guess I am just going to back my stopper out a tad and see if it helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts