Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery which I bought from autozone a year ago keeps dying. Basically my car is not driven, it's garaged, I disconnect both battery terminals. Give it several months and come back, connect the battery and it's dead. Enough to run radio but not enough to start. When I left it there it was charged good.

So the question, is it problem with battery or problem with me leaving it for 5 six months at a time?

I live in Florida, temps are 90s all year round.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
Can't leave a battery disconnected for that long, might get away with a couple of months, but not 5 or 6 months. Get a battery tender to put on it to keep it maintained when you're not driving it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
It takes at least an hour or more of driving to charge the battery, and a battery constantly being charged wont die. if it never gets used the electrolytes will get like messed up and stuff. It kept a good full charge when you first got it? Or did you not really use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does it hold a charge for a week?
Yes. For a week no problem. For a month no problem too.

thumbie said:
It kept a good full charge when you first got it? Or did you not really use it.
I didn't really use it, but it did keep a good charge. I can tell because I'd start it two months later and it will work.

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
its just cause its sittin so long with nothin goin on. before i moved to texas from washington my car would sit all winter and the battery would die if i didnt go out and let it run or drive it on those couple nice days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow $45!!! At first I dismissed this option, thought it would cost too much. But $45 is affordable even in this economy. Question, I see a wall power plug, always thought battery tender is something you keep in the car. How is this thing used?

Another question. Is this a battery charger which checks battery status and charges it as necessary?

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
Wow $45!!! At first I dismissed this option, thought it would cost too much. But $45 is affordable even in this economy. Question, I see a wall power plug, always thought battery tender is something you keep in the car. How is this thing used?

Another question. Is this a battery charger which checks battery status and charges it as necessary?
Use this just like a charger, but it is a slow low amp charge. It will go into float/maintenance when the battery is charged and if the battery goes back down to like 80% or so it'll kick back in. You don't have to unhook your battery. May come with ring terminals which installed will have a quick disconnect plug to connect and disconnect the tender, or just hook the clamps up real quick. We have a lot of these at work and are fixing to buy about 15 more to get rid of some older off brand. One battery made it 7 years I believe.

I didn't notice, but the other link said gel cell. Haven't tried any of those to know if they'll work on regular batteries, but here is the one for the normal style batteries.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
7 years? wow im definitely lookin into one of these

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
You can pick up a battery tender for $20.00 at walmart.. probably less than that.

The day before you need the car just put the tender on a 2 amp/12 volt auto deep cycle over night.

We use tenders a lot with motorcycles.

And make sure the battery isn't on any type of cement when you store or charge it.

·
What's this Photoshop?
2,426 Posts
7 years? wow im definitely lookin into one of these
well, i looked up the service records and it was 8 years actually. Brand new in 95.
Battery Replaced - 5/1/2001
Battery Replaced - 11/4/2009

Pretty good for a vehicle driven roughly once every 3 months.

You can pick up a battery tender for $20.00 at walmart.. probably less than that.

The day before you need the car just put the tender on a 2 amp/12 volt auto deep cycle over night.

We use tenders a lot with motorcycles.

And make sure the battery isn't on any type of cement when you store or charge it.
^+1, never place a battery on cement.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
well, i looked up the service records and it was 8 years actually. Brand new in 95.
Battery Replaced - 5/1/2001
Battery Replaced - 11/4/2009

Pretty good for a vehicle driven roughly once every 3 months.
ooooohhh i thought you meant it sat with th etender for like 7 years without being started and still worked haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts