Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called a guy i know who does custom paint about painting some flat black racing stripes on my black gt. He spoke with his paint rep and called me back and said he doesnt think its a good idea. Said something about having to sand the panels down, then repaint black(because u can't do the procedure over baked paint?), then some kind of clear. Basically said that it would look like **** because it would be too high above the factory paint and the lines would be messy. Also said that if there is any dust in the paint after the process, it would be impossible to buff out(obviously...flat +buff= shiny). He hated to do it, but said if I wanted flat black he would recommend vinyl. What gives? Anybody else hear of these type of problems? Any recommendations? He said no problem with any other color. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
191 Posts
he is ABSOLUTELY correct, and ABSOLUETLY wrong... a good paint shop can and WILL do flat paint. if there is any dust in the environment YES it will get into the flat paint. one solution is to do like the 1969 mach 1 and use a textured paint. the 69 had speckled flat black hood so they could do it on the assebly line and if there was some dirt in it... who cares??? i dont know if they still make the same paint as the 69's, i am sure its hard on guns, but if you want it, then you want it. I would love the flat black on my alloy gt. and i am seriously thinking about it. The paint WILL be at a higher elevation than the rest of the paint, but if you do a stripe around the flat black, it would look fine. (that is if you are going with the retro mach 1 look)...

another idea is going with a white stripe.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to do two racing stripes the entire length of the car, but its starting to sound like a royal pain in the ass...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wanted paint, but who makes a good vinyl stripe kit? How hard are they to take off when they start looking like hell because of age? Thanks guys

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ohio...not as big of a market for mod shops as cali:bs

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
why not try and get an inner panel clear, not a high luster clear like the exterior of the car but one like aftermarket uses on the door jams and under the hood. it isn't exactly flat but doesn't have a high shine to it. we used it pretty regularly in a body shop I worked in when I was younger and it might be better than flat black. I know a couple people that have a flat black on there car and every time you get a scratch or bug guts then you have to repaint the whole thing.

Then there is vinyl which would be more cost effective and easier to replace

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, I heard flat black is a pita to maintain. Its just one of those things that I thought about, then the first time I saw it I fell in love. Anyone know a good place to get a set of stickers(never thought I'd say that).

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ttt

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Well it all depends. Everyone has a diff place they go for vinyl. The main thing is to make sure they are reputable...offer good quality (3m) and they are precut to what every u need (spoiler/back/)etc.

Google it or try ebay. Thats what I do most of the time. The sticker place is decent as well.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I called a guy i know who does custom paint about painting some flat black racing stripes on my black gt. He spoke with his paint rep and called me back and said he doesnt think its a good idea. Said something about having to sand the panels down, then repaint black(because u can't do the procedure over baked paint?), then some kind of clear. Basically said that it would look like **** because it would be too high above the factory paint and the lines would be messy. Also said that if there is any dust in the paint after the process, it would be impossible to buff out(obviously...flat +buff= shiny). He hated to do it, but said if I wanted flat black he would recommend vinyl. What gives? Anybody else hear of these type of problems? Any recommendations? He said no problem with any other color. Thanks for any input.
sounds like they dont want to do it. try another place that is excited to do it and it will be beautiful.
flat is different then non flat. it wont be level with your original paint but doesnt have too. the clear is what levels the surfaces but you wont want clear added ontop of flat. my stripes cost me $1400.00. and are level under clear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts