Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1985 GT convertible. It has factory shortie headers and a "Y" pipe into one converter, then back to duals for the mufflers and tails. I see the trans cross member has one exhaust hump. Which cross member do I have to switch to so I can do the Long Tube headers and full dual exhaust. This car needs some help. It's a auto CFI car and I need to convert to carb and long tubes. Thanks.

Jerry

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
86-93 v8 trans cross member. It has the double hump. Or you can get them from summit

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Might have to adjust the jack a few times to get the bolts lined up, but its an easy swap. Tack weld the tubes and hit it with a little paint and youre good to go. Just replaced mine and the only issue was getting the hpipe back into the hanger.

I recommend safety goggles. Got a spec of dirt in my eye doing mine and it was NO FUN getting it out.

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked at the summt part an looked under my car. I see the drier's side and it looks like the crossmember had about 6 inches of straight section, and a bracket of some kind just above it. I hope someone has and idea of what i need to move/ modify to get the double hump to bolt it.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
All you should have is the main crossmember, the trans bushing on top of that and a ypipe hanger of some sort on top of that. Where the crossmember meets the body should just be a single bolt on each side of the car. There are brackets at each end the member fits into but are spotwelded to the unibody. They stay there.

???

This is what you remove.

-- Didnt think of this, but is the ypipe or whatever connected to that bracket? Not sure what else would up there. I believe the hanger would be on the passenger side of the cat anyway. Havent found anything online yet.

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
fb93 Thats exactly what I have. On the straight side, drivers side, I have a few lines or hoses or something just above it. I'll have to move them out of the way. You are right on the catyalitic on the passenge side. I wonder if I can have the crossmember changed first and leave the exhaust until I save up for it. Thanks for the info and pic. Lots of info on this site. Very cool.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
You might be able to replace it without removing the ypipe, but it is much easier with everything out of the way. I would wait until you have the exhaust and everything needed to hang it (new bolts, nuts, washers, new hanger). The xmember bushing sleeves should be tack welded so they dont vibrate, so you will need a welder. My stepdad did mine with a MIG. I cant weld for crap. Shouldnt take more than a day to swap it all out as long as you have everything you need.

Now that i think about it, the mess on the driver side is probably the cable for the speedo youre seeing.

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good info fb93. I'll collect parts before I do it. A friend of mine from highschool owns Diamond Race Cars. He builds rail drag cars from sctratch. Look him up on the internet. He's a hell of a fabricator. I'll have him do the install.

Jerry

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the kit info ryanw. I have an AOD car and wonder if it would fit mine. I'l call Late Model Restoration when I'm ready to buy.

Jerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts