Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Reformed Chevy driver
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure there is lots of info on simaliar issues on here. computer crashed and only have iphone right now so its not too easy to search.

Here is my issue. I have a 2002 GT with a Procharger, Accufab TB and plenum, longtubes, O/R Mac prochamber and Bassini from were the cats should be back.

Car runs great just driving around, idles smooth everything. Only when i get on it hard is when at 4000 rpm it just hits a wall. Almost like it cuts out completely. Big miss or hesitation you could say. It is not so noticable in 1st gear as it is in all the others because I am shifting so fast as it revs.

Now I can rev slowly in any gear and the boost doesnt come in and it will rev all the way up to redline no problem. I have cleaned the MAF and changed the plugs gapped at .32. Have swapped all the coils with another set I have. It has all the supporting mods needed for the procharger. Fuel pump, injectors etc.

I bought the car with al the mods it has. It ran fine for awhile or I am just getting on it harder now? Since I am used to it. The original owner had it tuned conservitialy he said. 360 rwhp.

Any suggestions to fix it. Is it just the Tune maybe? Just want to get some ideas on this. I have it scheduled to get tuned again after Christmas, just want to see if I can find another problem with it before I take it in so I dont have to deal with anything but the tune when I do.

Thanks Everyone for any input.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
What fuel pump? Definitely a fuel issue. Id put money on kinked or split fuel hose.

I would drop the tank, check it out. You need a Gates submersible fuel hose. Otherwise, they will deteriate and crack/split in the tank.

Then, to be safe, spend the money and get the car dyno tuned. So you know everything. AFR is dialed in, max timing, fuel pump duty cycle, etc...

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
x2 on getting it dyno tuned. although it could cost you $500 it could save a couple grand in a blown motor. i would not buy a blown car and not retune it personally, just to be safe.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I agree with the above. It sounds like a fuel issue to me. A centrifugal supercharger is creating boost with whether you use it or not. Excess boost simply goes out the by-pass valve. What injectors are you running? What fuel pump?

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
You can datalog and see if the fpdc is maxing out.

my tuner said after the pprv delete the fpdc sound be around .9 its at 21 now

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Id wouldnt trust buying a blown car. Id go over the fuel, and get a new tune

·
Reformed Chevy driver
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the input.

I don't know if the PPRV is deleted. Will contact original owner and ask him.

It has a Focus SVT fuel pump and 42lb injectors. I had planned on getting it tuned when I got it. Just like was said, wanted to get it done just for my own state of mind. Just had to get past the two new grand kids and the youngest daughters wedding first. Have dyno time scheduled the week after Christmas. I went through the whole thing when I first got it, filters, plugs, etc just for my own state of mind too.

It ran good and just started doing this recently. Was just hoping to figure it out before the tune session. The shop I am taking it too said he would run it on the dyno for a $100 bucks and see what's up if I don't get it fixed before I have my dyno time scheduled.

I was thinking fuel issue too. I forgot to mention it also runs like crap when the fuel gets to about a 1/4 tank and not just at high rpm. Knew I was leaving something out and that was it. Does that help narrow the issue down?

I appreciate the help. This is my first supercharged car. Also my first Ford. Driven Built Chevys all my life.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I had a similar problem that occurred at 3k, and not in neutral so only at load. It mysteriously vanished but I datalogged the car and found at WOT my fpdc was maxed. I thought this was weird because my tuner said I had a lot of room to grow yet.

I think your pump could be on its way out.

·
MM's V6 Hater
13,422 Posts
Are you sure you have the stock GT fuel hat in there? I know when you out in a 03/04 cobra hat youll have issues when you get to a 1/4 tank if you dont make a baffle for it.

should check that out too while you drop the tank

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
It runs like crap around 1/4 of a tank regardless? Definitely a fuel hose issue. Whether it came loose, or split. Id put money on it.

Definitely drop the tank. Its 3 17mm bolts (holding the straps) Then lower the tank, unplug the connectors, theres like 5 of them. 2 on the fuel filler neck, 2 on the driver side, and one in the back on top of the tank.

Lower the tank more, then from the driver side, pull the fuel tank to get the filler neck out of it. Tank will be free. Then tanke the hat off, and pull the fuel pump assembly out and check it out.

Im almost 100% positive its the fuel line

·
Reformed Chevy driver
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will drop the tank tomorrow I guess. I figured it was all related. Just wanted some input from some people with more Mustang experience. Any suggestion on the easiest way to drain the tank. Just filled up on Friday. LOL.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Drive it for a while lol. The botto of the filler neck has a ball, that acts like a check valve. So you can't siphon it.

You could lower the tank alittle, tilt it towards the passenger side, har a bucket under where the filler neck goes in the tank, and wedge a flathead or something in there to get some gas out of the tank

·
Reformed Chevy driver
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Shaun. Should I delete the PPRV while I have the tank out? Will that cause any issues till I get it tuned in a couple weeks?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
You can delete it. Definitely a good idea too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You could guess all day. Take it to a tuner and have them hooker up.

·
Reformed Chevy driver
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. I didn't have time to drop the tank today. The wife had better plans for me today.

Have a question. I have to drive my car this week because my R1 is in the shop. Since it ran real good if I kept it out of boost, even if I rolled on the throttle and only has a few pounds of boost it would run perfect all the way up to redline. (I know this isn't smart knowing it isn't running right but I did it yesterday just to see if it was just when I hammered it of not) So any way in my infinite wisdom I figured if I took off the BOV and just let it vent always to the atmosphere it would be safer to drive and would stay out of boost. So I tried it and test drove it. As you all probably already know it still got into boost, only about 3 or 4 pounds though. But it ran perfect.

I am still going to drop the tank next weekend, but is ok to drive it without the BOV for now since it run good?

Thanks everyone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts