Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang,

Not a big poster but a heavy reader. I bought the procharger p1sc kit 2 core intercooler with a 6lb pulley and 42lb injectors. The entire kit was built from Lethal performance/procharger. I'm not a big track guy by any means i just cruise around i'm real easy on my car just like to have the power there if i step on it a little bit every now and then, so its not a heavy abused application like a weekend track car. I have 35K on the car. Now heres my question, when i bought the kit they gave me a diablo chip pre-tuned, no tuning required according to them. They also said i can run a bone stock fuel pump(still boggles my mind) well i wasn't satisfied with that so after i bolted the kit on, i went to a local tuner here in new jersey who said my fuel pump is dropping out at 5300rpm. He tuned the car the best he could for what i have. So...I recently got a great deal on a kennebelle boost a pump setup brand new. My question is, if i hook that up to the stock pump and set the dial to the max i read i can wire it so cpu handles the voltage to regulate the fuel? or use the vacumm switch? I'm open and listening to all suggestions or maybe a complete change in setup and not even run the boost a pump??? Kinda broad question so any help would be awesome!

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I would swap fuel pumps to something that puts out a little more fuel and maybe add the BAP later or in unison. I personally used the aviator pump which is good for 425rwhp my tuner said. Alternatively you could look for a cobra tank setup, and throw in 2 SVT focus pumps - your choice. I personally wouldn't just use a KB BAP. I wouldn't cheap out on fuel or go with the quickest nor easiest solution.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I can't answer your question as to whether a stock fuel pump and BAP would be enough. I've heard of the combination but I don't know if its enough for your application. I'm running a 255 lph SVT Focus pump (no BAP). The SVT Focus pump is hit and miss. Even with it many have had to add a BAP. If I had it to do all over again I'd get a 340 lph pump from Kurgan Motorsports. Then you know you're getting enough fuel.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Get the division x off lethal performance for 150. It will more than satisfy your needs. I love mine!

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
I'd have to agree with Eagle2000GT. Go with the Kurgan fuel pump and hat. Should keep you satisfied.

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Hey Bob, whats the price on the 340 lph? Im looking at making 600 rwhp preferably on e85 for its cooling and safety compared to 91 octane so i will need at least two pumps im sure. And OP, a 340 lph should be well more then enough to support your fuel needs, id go for it!

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I didn't realize u had one, BOB lol

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
If Bob kurgan makes one, which it is a apparent he does. Then go with that. I was just speaking from experience.

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Ive never heard nothing bad from division x either though, i think its a win win! For me, it will come down to price, whichever setup will be the most bang for the buck is where i will go being that both are well proven

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
If I would have known if bobs sooner I'd have went with it. It flows way better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everybody for the replies, so pretty much everybody here is against the boost a pump.....and opting for the division x or swapping the pump. That's kinda where I am, but until I read this article,

I know this is a long shot, but if any of you guys get bored check out this huge write up on the boost a pump and let me know if any of your opinions change. After reading it I fee like it doesn't sound to bad!

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/BAPtheory_kens.pdf

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Common/pdfs/BAPtheory_kens.pdf

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I glanced at the article. It didn't have anything I didn't already know. Yes, boost-a-pumps are reliable. They provide more voltage to the pump. The reason I said before that I didn't know if it would work with your application is that you can only squeeze so much fuel out of a stock fuel pump even with increased voltage.

It's no big deal. You can try it. If your stock pump with a BAP peaks you can always get another fuel pump later.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
BAP with the stock pump will handle 400rwhp. If you want to go that route you will be perfectly fine. Wire it pre-fpdm and turn the dial to max. The computer will regulate how much voltage it needs. A 340lph pump will require modification to the basket and wiring. It is probably the cheapest route, but may require the most work. An SVT Focus pump is drop in and seems to be good to around 400rwhp with some making more than that, but it costs over $200. If you are looking to make over 400 in the future go with a bigger pump like the 340lph. I'm using an svt focus pump and kb 40amp bap. This setup is good to mid-upper 400's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I glanced at the article. It didn't have anything I didn't already know. Yes, boost-a-pumps are reliable. They provide more voltage to the pump. The reason I said before that I didn't know if it would work with your application is that you can only squeeze so much fuel out of a stock fuel pump even with increased voltage.

It's no big deal. You can try it. If your stock pump with a BAP peaks you can always get another fuel pump later.
Well thanks for checking it out, believe it or not with my procharger setup i'm only seeing 380WHP with the fuel dropping at 5300. Thats why i figured to go for the BAP, i really don't plan on doing much more performance wise i'm satisfied hard to believe i know we always want more haha but i'm working on a 63 Ford fairlane right now so i been dropping some cash into that.. I appreciate your help!!

BAP with the stock pump will handle 400rwhp. If you want to go that route you will be perfectly fine. Wire it pre-fpdm and turn the dial to max. The computer will regulate how much voltage it needs. A 340lph pump will require modification to the basket and wiring. It is probably the cheapest route, but may require the most work. An SVT Focus pump is drop in and seems to be good to around 400rwhp with some making more than that, but it costs over $200. If you are looking to make over 400 in the future go with a bigger pump like the 340lph. I'm using an svt focus pump and kb 40amp bap. This setup is good to mid-upper 400's.
Thanks! Are you familar with how to wire it pre-pfdm?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts