Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this whole project on my new motor i haven't taken any shortcuts. i figured since i'm spending all this money i want to do it right the first time and not have to re-do everything again. this is the reason why i decided to buy an 8 rib spacer kit from procharger. i called a technician and spent over 20 minutes on the phone discussing what i need.

water pump pulley spacer, spacers to space out my bracket, the right length bolts for everything, and all my idler pulley spacers/shafts.

well, $132 later we figured we had everything i should need.

my kit came today. sweet, they even through in a manual!

as i started in on getting this done, i realized the manual sucks. it tells you how to remove/install your factory pulleys and swap them with the 8 rib ones. DUH. then it started in on spacing things. it gives very little detail as to where i should use which spacers on what pulleys, and has NO step on which spacers to use on the procharger idler (the one that goes between the alt and blower.

so, i said **** the manual and started doing it the best i could. i found the correct spacers for my procharger idler pulley. THATS IT. the bolt that goes through the procharger idler from the bracket and into the offset steel spacer on the alt (he sent me a steel offset spacer. i didn't ask for one, it costed me $30 when the aluminum one is just fine) was way too short, the water pump pulley bolts he gave me (2 washers were missing) were at least an inch too long. he gave me two spacers that were 7 dollars each that go to nothing. the spacer for the lower ribbed fixed idler is definitely the wrong size.

there are pieces missing and plenty of parts i paid WAY too much for that are worthless. its like he saw a bag of parts with a water pump spacer and an offset steel spacer mixed in with a bunch of other **** and said "thats the one" and sent it to me. i'm VERY disappointed.

i could have gone to a hardware store and bought some washers, 2 longer studs, a couple longer hex bolts, and had it spaced PROPERLY for under $20.

the water pump pulley spacer was the only thing that helped me.

:cliffs

if you are looking into an 8 rib setup for a procharger, buy the pulleys from ford, a water pump pulley spacer from procharger, and space the bracket out .84" and get longer bolts and studs to work accordingly.

Reactions: GidEup

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I'I'd call procharger and tell them what happened. Most of the techs are great but some are really bad. Tell em what you are trying to do and what they sent you and what doesnt work. Hopefully they try to remedy the situation. BTW when/if you get this done, you should do a BIG, IN DEPTH write up of how you got it done correctly. There isn't **** out there for how-to's on this subject. That's probably why you're currently being screwed ;)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Damn the blows man..^+1 yea deff call them, tell um whats up

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll see if i can call them today.. i might not have time do deal with it until monday cause i work till 6 today and tomorrow. i plan on doing an extensive write-up. i should have been taking pictures this entire build but i haven't, i'll at least get a write up done for spacing the blower though. and i hope those guys help me out, i know they are reputable but i'm pissed its like throwing money away if they don't try to fix this

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
i'll see if i can call them today.. i might not have time do deal with it until monday cause i work till 6 today and tomorrow. i plan on doing an extensive write-up. i should have been taking pictures this entire build but i haven't, i'll at least get a write up done for spacing the blower though. and i hope those guys help me out, i know they are reputable but i'm pissed its like throwing money away if they don't try to fix this
Idk, if you explain to someone EXACTLY what was going on and what they sent you, I bet they'll let you return the stuff you didn't need and you'll get your money back. They'll probably pay for shipping both ways too if it's truely a problem on their end, they should anyway. Procharger's a great company, just seems like you get a bad tech guy on the line 1 out of 10 calls. If you do a write up and get pictures from here on out, I'll get pictures of mine from the start of the project when I switch mine over. I have a 3.3" 8 rib pulley just screaming to go on the car...

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
that sucks man

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
How did this ever turn out?

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got it done.

if anyone needs to convert to 8 rib do this:

call up procharger. you will need the following parts from them if you have a romeo motor. windsors may be slightly different.

Procharger idler pulley spacers. you need the correct spacers for each side, they will know which ones to send you. you need to get these, theres really not a good way to do it right unless you get these spacers.

Water pump pulley spacer (on romeos)

spacer for lower fixed ribbed idler pulley
spacer for upper fixed smooth idler

the rest you can get locally. pulleys can be found from ford. for my fixed ribbed idler that goes above the AC compressor i got one from ford that is slightly oversized but works fine. you will need a longer bolt for the procharger idler pulley, longer stud for the grooved idler (above the ac compressor) and a few other nuts, bolts, and washers (like bolts and washers for the water pump). i just used trial and error putting the blower on, tightening it, measuring and adding washers as needed and i got it done so its nearly perfect.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Do you know the cost if i was to just call procharger and say "send me what i need for an 8 rib setup on my 2000 4.6 windsor"? WTF, why did i have to get a windsor. It makes things so difficult due to being so different! :(

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
8 rib pulleys have more surface area for the belt to grip, so there is less belt slip.

Bob, how much did you end up spending on the whole setup?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Yeah ive got a 6 rib 3.00 pulley and i WISH i could make it grip. I think ima try some **** before going 8 rib. I was wondering ... What about pine tar like on baseball bats? and cutting the grooves in the pulley to make it grip. Pine tar + heat = STICKY! :dunno:dunno

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Sorry about your luck

I just bought a complete kit from vortech with pulleys and all spacers bolts etc even one spacer for the tensioner. Cost more that way but no headaches. Since I have an overdrive crank pulley I sold the stock 03 cobra crank pulley for 100 and I had 400 in it when i was done. Price has went up since.

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you have an 18% OD crank pulley right? how much boost are you running right now? i think the D1SC should make 20 with the 10% crank and 2.8 blower pulley.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
you have an 18% OD crank pulley right? how much boost are you running right now? i think the D1SC should make 20 with the 10% crank and 2.8 blower pulley.
20psi right at peak where I shift I average a lot less. 3" pulley and a restrictive ebay IC, but it cools well.

Procharger uses a steeper internal step up ratio so it requires a bigger pully to make the same boost as a similar sized Vortech. So maybe more that 20.

20 psi with ported heads, cams, and after market intake takes a lot more impeller RPM, than a car with less volume to flow so it all depends on the set up. On a stock motor maybe 26 lol.

I'm still not convinved that ported heads and aftermarket intakes make a huge diference( not that I'm saying it's worthless). I think I could have easily broke 600 with stock porting and intake. Just shortblock, cams, Full exhaust, plenum TB, @ 20 psi and support mods

1 - 19 of 19 Posts