Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics of how my procharger build is going on my 89.

I moved my battery and solenoid over to the passenger side. Shortened my alternator wiring to about 6 inches long.

I touched up the paint in the engine bay and painted the brake master cylinder.

I removed the 10 pin extension and widened the male plug ends.

Mounted the MSD-6-BTM on the passenger side along with an accel super stock chrome plated coil. I moved all the wiring down along the frame rail and connected all the positive leads with a 2 gauge starter cable from the passenger mounted battery.

I cut the hole for the power pipe. My head unit is currently being serviced by procharger, $360 for new seals and a rebuild.

I painted the bracket for the BAP sensor.

Moved my nitrous relay down below the pinch weld on the fire wall and cleaned up the wiring.

I am just about done with the wiring, still got a little to finish up and then it'll be time to start the procharger install.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also got rid of my coolant transfer tube for the HVAC (since it is removed) and moved the ECT sender up to the transfer tube port. Plugged off the port in the water pump. I removed all of the smog and EGR vacuum hoses and solenoids, sensors, etc... and cut all the wiring out and shrink wrapped anything I couldn't remove completely.

I removed my vacuum tree since I was only using the tube going to the brake booster.

I also put the 12-rib blower pulley on today.

I started mocking up the intercooler and it looks like I am going to have to trim some of the original LX bumper to get everything to fit comfortably.

I need inner wheel well plastic if anybody has any laying around.:D:D

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is this another mustang that you have?...its not your red one right?
yeah, I have my 88 that is currently no color cause it is still in the body shop (used to be and will be red and black again).

This is my 89 that I am going to keep efi for awhile.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More updates....

I included a before picture so you can see the differences.

Finished the wiring and put the wire loom back on. Still need to tape it up, but it looks a lot better.

I did a quick polish of the tensioner and valve covers

And I repainted the cutout for the power pipe.

Ran the BTM adjustment nob to where the HVAC controls normally are.

Also if you notice by where the wiper motor normally is I mounted a mini PCV oil catch can.

I got my procharger head unit back today...they put a new serial number on the head unit, which I thought was kinda weird, but it is still obviously the same head unit, but now with new seals and fresh oil, ready to rock and roll.

I mocked up the intercooler piping and everything at first glance looks like it will fit.

Next on my list is to put the intake back on there, clean the piping for the intercooler, and start assembling the supercharger kit.

I STILL NEED THE PLASTIC INNER FENDERS for this car. If anyone has any laying around or a parts car, let me know.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
your puttin that tubular gt 40 intake on there when your done right

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, should be on there tomorrow for good.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, got the intake on there finally. Started mocking up the intercooler piping. Taped up all the wiring.

Next will be mounting the intercooler, cleaning and mounting the piping, head unit and bracket.

Then comes the fuel system and rear end.

enjoy the pics.

·
Registered
334 Posts
looking good

Looks like we're going to be stealing your belt route. Just pulled our power steering off last night and was wondering how to keep the water pump spinning the right direction without a delete pulley on the driver's side.

Do you bolt the alt up last to add tension to the belt? Thinking about something similar to the way you have it run, but using one of the march adjustable alternator bars.

What mounting bracket setup did you get for the charger?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
looking good

Looks like we're going to be stealing your belt route. Just pulled our power steering off last night and was wondering how to keep the water pump spinning the right direction without a delete pulley on the driver's side.

Do you bolt the alt up last to add tension to the belt? Thinking about something similar to the way you have it run, but using one of the march adjustable alternator bars.

What mounting bracket setup did you get for the charger?
yep, goblin is right, I have the renegade bracket set up with 12-rib pulleys.

As for the accessories I have a tensioner that puts tension on the belt in the opposite direction (it wants to go counter clockwise). I do have to loosen the alternator to get the belt on there though, because i have to use the smallest belt I can fit to get enough tension.

On my other mustang I have the same belt routing with the standard tensioner, but I have a forward rotation water pump and pulley for the older style 302 on it. Also works well.

·
Registered
334 Posts
yep, goblin is right, I have the renegade bracket set up with 12-rib pulleys.

As for the accessories I have a tensioner that puts tension on the belt in the opposite direction (it wants to go counter clockwise). I do have to loosen the alternator to get the belt on there though, because i have to use the smallest belt I can fit to get enough tension.

On my other mustang I have the same belt routing with the standard tensioner, but I have a forward rotation water pump and pulley for the older style 302 on it. Also works well.

mind if i ask where you picked up that tensioner from?

we just put a new weiand pump on, rather not buy another water pump

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I honestly don't know where the tensioner came from. It was on the car when I bought it. Try autozone?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Hey, this is a little off topic, but was that the GT-40 plake kit I saw in those pics? I have the same one and havent used it yet, does it work well?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, it is a NX kit. I used upto 200 hp, but I was blowing the spark out with the stock coil.

Worked really well at 100 shot...ran a 11.9 the only time I sprayed it at the track and that was with some wheel spin. Probably see mid 11s with a little work, but its not my track car. That was when it had a cobra upper and it was really hard to change the jets with the cobra upper, looks to be a lot easier with the GT-40 upper.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
New update.

Put the renegade bracket on. Also put on the head unit and belt/tensioner to get an idea of how everything is going to fit. So far my only major issue is how I am going to get a fan to fit. Going to need a very slim fan or I am going to have to get a smaller radiator.

Next up is fabbing some brackets for intercooler.

Not too far away from getting her started. I need to find a home for the FMU (7:1). Install a 255 lph inline pump. Rebuild the rear end (this may wait until later).

·
Registered
301 Posts
They have a replacement for the fan drive, its alot shorter, i forgot where i saw it. if you have an electric fan, just get a thinner radiator. also, i noticed your headers, heat wrap them bitches! its like 50% less under-hood heat!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts