Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a procharged v6 like in the pic below (that one isn't mine)

Wondering if there is a heat shield sold that will fit? I figure in its current setup it isn't reallllly cold air? The intake temps are usually just 10 degrees or so above ambient (F not C), but I haven't checked under prolonged stressful operation.

Perhaps something like this would be nice?

Also what I have now is the oiled K&N cone filter... I understand the dry filters by amsoil and airaid will flow less? Does that mean less torque and HP? I just worry everytime I oil the filter some will get sucked in and screw up the supercharger.

Also unsure how to go about getting a air raid prefilter for a non-air raid filter..

Just want to know if I can further optimize things.

·
Registered
682 Posts
My opinion is that unless the intake is going into the fender than its not a CAI system. I also think the shield is probably doing minimal work. Maybe a few degrees difference. Nothing more than that. Wouldn't know where to get ones though.

And K&N filters flow so well because they don't filter much. I mean I never see a dirty K&N filter unless its an off-road vehicle. No why? Because they don't filter anything. I think that pretty much anything does better than a K&N. BBK, Airraid, heck even Spectra.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My opinion is that unless the intake is going into the fender than its not a CAI system. I also think the shield is probably doing minimal work. Maybe a few degrees difference. Nothing more than that. Wouldn't know where to get ones though.

And K&N filters flow so well because they don't filter much. I mean I never see a dirty K&N filter unless its an off-road vehicle. No why? Because they don't filter anything. I think that pretty much anything does better than a K&N. BBK, Airraid, heck even Spectra.
I may just go ahead and call up air raid and ask about what comparable filter size they have, and get their pre filter mesh too.

One thing I forgot to mention is part of my concern is I was considering getting these & water entering the engine bay and getting sucked in:

MMD Mustang Hood Vent Louvers - Matte Black 71334 (05-12 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

MMD Mustang Fender Vents - Matte Black 384822-99 (10-14 All) - Free Shipping
(may not do this since it interferes with the club on america decal, and most cooling would be from the hood top).

I don't know how much a shop would charge to do a good install since cutting is involved...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
props to u on the pro charger
thank you sir, when I rolled up to the dealer for some routine stuff, he was like wait a minute.. somethings different here.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do you not have an intercooler?

_

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you not have an intercooler?

_
Oh it does, it runs very cool (though the coolant reservoir sometimes pukes a lil fluid.. I am going to try higher PSI cap because the car never overheats).

My main concern is just oil from reoiling, and water if I decide to get heat extractors put in. The fans on the radiator are fairly loud, and it takes away from the SC and exhaust note. So I'm thinking if I get heat extractors, it will help minimize the times those fans need to kick in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I may just go ahead and call up air raid and ask about what comparable filter size they have, and get their pre filter mesh too.

One thing I forgot to mention is part of my concern is I was considering getting these & water entering the engine bay and getting sucked in:

I don't know how much a shop would charge to do a good install since cutting is involved...
Well I was going to suggest a pre-filter if you want to keep the K&N filter. Outerwears makes a good pre-filter as well and ofcourse they block a degree of water from getting to the filter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I was going to suggest a pre-filter if you want to keep the K&N filter. Outerwears makes a good pre-filter as well and ofcourse they block a degree of water from getting to the filter.
I just ordered a K&N prefilter, did not know they made one but apparently they now do.

Also ordered a heat shield, I hope it fits, I'll know Tuesday or Wednesday for sure.

Shop said the under hood temps seem OK but I drove all highway on the way to the shop, thats best case scenario, lots of city, traffic, idling, or the heat soaking after turning off the car it gets reallllll damn hot. Even plastic things are so hot under the car you wouldn't want to touch them at times. Engine never overheats but I figure all this extra heat cannot be good for the longevity of anything under the hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts