Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Procharger the other day and the install wasn't that hard. I have a full service shop with a frame lift which helped a lot. As expected there was quite a bit of test fitting and tweaking with only a couple minor details to sort out but nothing that was a big issue it just takes time. After a couple belt adjustments I installed a made in China boost gauge which would not go past 6 lbs. This had me calling Procharger and re-torquing all the clamps looking for a leak. I had not tightened the clamps and adjusted the belt as far as needed because I didn't want to strip any thing or over tighten the belt putting unnecessary pressure on the head unit. Procharger techs were great and advised that these had to be really tight. Problem solved, new gauge ordered today.

The car pulls hard all the way to the 7000 rev limiter. Even at lower RPM the car snaps up quicker. At this point It is just starting to build boost and I guess the tune is probably what makes a different feel. It's fast but needs gears to make it quick. I ordered the 373's which I think we will install on the 16th so that should make a huge difference. My Shelby GT500 (400lbs heavier) It was probably a 11 or low 12 second car and had tons of torque with Justins pulley, cold air and tune. We dyno'ed 551 RWHP. The V6 car will never feel like that one but should be fun and be about 4-5 MPG on average better on gas. Glen's car was the one Procharger designed the kit after and I think he put Bassanni headers and exhaust on and a 4.0 Pulley and built 460 RWHP at 9 lbs. No more money left for exhaust for a while so this will have to do for now. After the gears I will take it to Justin and re tune and dyno it. It makes power all the way to the rev limiter. I will do some research as to weather or not we can bump up the limiter safely a few hundred more RPMs with out exceeding the cushion of the injectors. This depends on where the AF ratio is. I think the engine is up to it with the forged and Steele internals or they wouldn't have had it twisting to 7000 in the first place. I don't want to blow it but at least it's not a $15,000 engine!!

BTW- FYI, I put on a adjustable upper control arm, Lower control arms, heavier rear springs and a Fays 2 watts link on my GT500 and the PP v6 car still handles and drives better. I saved the Watts link and LCA'S to put on the V6 car so that may make it even better. Most importantly the V6 car has a Power passenger seat that the wife likes. Lord knows you gotta keep her happy, what ever it takes!!!

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Nice write up sir!

So your running 2.73's or 3.31's with boost right now?

I went from 2.73 to 3.55s and my car went from slow and steady to awake and beast mode. Literally. With the 2.73s the car would pull your head back through 2nd/3rd gear, now the car not only pulls your head back, but between shifts the car literally snaps your head back.

I just spent half of my FI money on new rims and tires, but the rims are larger, and they are lighter providing better acceleration and greater traction, and so far I am happy with my purchase...I can't wait to go FI in about a year. lol

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
So the gears made that big of a difference? Would you go 3.37? Or does 3.55 do the trick?

·
The Aviator
6,305 Posts
Yeah, gears made a huge difference. Its basically a different car now. Now with these tires, I get way better launches with almost no spin.

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
Well. See if that shop can hook me up man.

·
Registered
109 Posts
thats awesome! and with that gear talk it makes me want to get some lol :D

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I think the engine is up to it with the forged and Steele internals or they wouldn't have had it twisting to 7000 in the first place. I don't want to blow it but at least it's not a $15,000 engine!!
This is the second time i've heard our engines have forged internal... Still cant find anything on it. If the 3.7 really has forged internals the running 6psi is WAY under the power it can handle. You would be able to go 12-15 with no problem. I would like to see something clarifying this.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
This is the second time i've heard our engines have forged internal... Still cant find anything on it. If the 3.7 really has forged internals the running 6psi is WAY under the power it can handle. You would be able to go 12-15 with no problem. I would like to see something clarifying this.
x2 I've heard info saying yes and no, all from internats talkers so IDK.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I really wanna see that sexy Grabber blue with the s/c

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Talked to my mechanic buddy at work, and asked about the 5.0 AND the v6, and he said both were NOT forged...so idk where that came from? if they were then 6psi is WAY underrated!! lol i'd like to say it came from the 3.5 motor ecoboost thing? but i have no idea

And you guys just can't wait can you :p honestly, i feel like procharger jumped the gun JUST to get a f/i out, but i feel like other companies are taking their time and will get WAY better numbers with the same boost! but that's just imo and i have no date to back that up! just looking at how history went with the s197 and the new edges!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Talked to my mechanic buddy at work, and asked about the 5.0 AND the v6, and he said both were NOT forged...so idk where that came from? if they were then 6psi is WAY underrated!! lol i'd like to say it came from the 3.5 motor ecoboost thing? but i have no idea

And you guys just can't wait can you :p honestly, i feel like procharger jumped the gun JUST to get a f/i out, but i feel like other companies are taking their time and will get WAY better numbers with the same boost! but that's just imo and i have no date to back that up! just looking at how history went with the s197 and the new edges!
The engine is the Cyclone 37 which is a Cyclone 35 with a bigger bore. I dont feel procharger jumped the gun, still think they took WAY TOO LONG. I mean almost a year before F/I is out for the 3.7 and there is about 6 different kits for the 5.0. Such a small aftermarket is another reason pushing me to get out of the 6. I love it and love working on it, there just isnt alot to do.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The engine is the Cyclone 37 which is a Cyclone 35 with a bigger bore. I dont feel procharger jumped the gun, still think they took WAY TOO LONG. I mean almost a year before F/I is out for the 3.7 and there is about 6 different kits for the 5.0. Such a small aftermarket is another reason pushing me to get out of the 6. I love it and love working on it, there just isnt alot to do.
The 5.0 though is a better power source though! you can see why, one of my car mags, they 5.0 makes more power with the same boost as the 11' gt500!

just enjoy your ride!!! no reason to hop out unless you get your hangs on a 5.0 for cheap!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
The 5.0 though is a better power source though! you can see why, one of my car mags, they 5.0 makes more power with the same boost as the 11' gt500!

just enjoy your ride!!! no reason to hop out unless you get your hangs on a 5.0 for cheap!
Or a cheap 03-04 Termi :D

There is one in my town, Black Vert, like 30k miles, 475rwhp/480rwtq and a price tag that rings in @ 22k.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
5.0 makes more power on 15psi than the gt500 makes on 18 but I will definitely wait for turbo or a different s/c if I go that route.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Or a cheap 03-04 Termi :D

There is one in my town, Black Vert, like 30k miles, 475rwhp/480rwtq and a price tag that rings in @ 22k.
22k seems to high! and i'm not a fan of verts! but hell if you wanted to upgrade to an 03/04 cobra that'd be sweet!!!

but ill tell you know, youll miss your nice interior :p

·
Stew
1,560 Posts
There will always be a mustang faster than mine, so I'm just going to enjoy working on mine and enjoy it.

·
Absens haeres non erit
2,807 Posts
There will always be a mustang faster than mine, so I'm just going to enjoy working on mine and enjoy it.
Exactly. If you guys want to go fast get a track car... I've got a couple. One S13, one S14, and a German '85 325e w/ a S52 and a Garrett.

No point in taking the negative equity and dumping that much money into something just to say that you did. In the end no one cares.

That is the problem with the VW community everyone is always trying to one-up each other in the mean time their credit cards are going sky high.

Hey you own the things so do what you want, but buying a 2011 V6 and then selling it because the 5.0 has more F/I kits is absurd.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
22k seems to high! and i'm not a fan of verts! but hell if you wanted to upgrade to an 03/04 cobra that'd be sweet!!!

but ill tell you know, youll miss your nice interior :p
Im in the southeast and work for a Credit Union, so i checked the Black Book value, and the price is fair. A little over the Loan Value but just straight value is right. What nice interior? I have cloth seats, Cobras have leather, and forged bottom ends stock, so the sky is pretty much the limit.

@Alex, the only reason i would dump my neg equity, Not that i got alot b/c of what i paid for this car, is if the 2013 Model dawns the rebirth of the SVT Cobra!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow that post took off fast. I will answer a couple questions. First I currently have 331 gears. Next I am currently using the tune from Procharger until I put the gears in and go to Justin at VMP tuning and have him dyno and adjust the tune to fit my car. knowing Justin he will most likely find more power so that should be interesting. And yes the 5.0 is a great platform and those who have done it have built some stupid power out of that thing. But I am not looking for the fastest car on the block like some people are. If that was the case I would have kept my GT500. I wanted something that first handled better and second handled and drove better and third handled and drove better and last had some balls so that I could have a little fun now and then and get some fuel economy compared to the GT500. This car is a DD with a 30 mile commute for the next 3-5 years so long term some savings will be nice. Also this has a $2500 to $3000 engine so if I blow the guts on the pavement it wont be sitting for a year while I try to figure out how to come up with $15,000 to replace the engine.
Below is a link that describes the 3.7 in the best detail I have seen to date. I also spoke with Jon Lund before I bought the car and he said it was a SHO motor stroked a bit and from what he had learned about it He thought it would be no problem pushing it with the boost. Other wards it should be pretty tough.
2011 Ford Mustang 3.7L V6 Engine - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

1 - 20 of 79 Posts