Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my mustang about three months ago and it came with a P-1SC Procharger on it. The only thing I really know about it is that it eats the **** out of your belt haha but i was looking on another thread here and a guy was talking about changing the oil in his mustang AND in his Procharger? So my question is how often should I be changing the oil in my Procharger? What oil does it take? How do I change the oil in it? and is there any other maintenance I need to worry about?

I would appreciate the responses guys!
Thanks!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
You need to use ProCharger specific oil. You can order it directly from them by calling 913-338-2886. They recommend that you change oil in the head unit every 6,000 miles. I change mine every 5,000 miles at the same time I'm changing engine oil. When you call them to order the oil ask them for a manual. There is a drain bolt directly on the bottom of the head unit and a fill screw on the top. It takes a screw driver to remove the fill screw and it is actually a dipstick. When you get the oil, it will tell you to use the entire bottle. Don't. That will overfill the head unit and cause it to seep oil. Leave about 1 ounce in the bottle and use the dipstick to make sure its full. Some people use a cup to catch the oil when they drain the head unit. I can't seem to get my hands in there to hold the cup so I drain it into an oil pan on the floor. I first cover all the pulleys with paper towels so that oil splatter won't get on them causing the belt to slip.

If your head unit is eating belts then the pulleys are most likely not alligned correctly. A belt should last about one year (12,000-15,000 miles). I do not recommend running it any longer. And what ever you do don't run frayed belts seriously frayed belts. I did and one of the ribs came completely off. It wrapped around the supercharger pulley and damaged the front seal (pulley seal that faces to the rear on our cars) causing a serious oil leak. I had to send the head unit to ProCharger for repairs.

To change the belt you have to take the head unit completely off. The first time I did this I lost a spacer on the idler pulley. It caused my pulleys to be misaligned actually wearing a groove in my altenator. If you're eating belts someone may have not gotten the spacers (washers) back on correctly. To me the worst thing about changing the belt is getting the new one back on. It's tight and I haven't found a way to do it by myself. I get my wife to hold the belt on the two bottom pulleys while I slip the belt over the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i have noticed the screw on the top but didnt know what it was so i didnt mess with it haha

so you have to take the head unit completely off to change the belt? what a pain!!

and what size belt to you recommend that works the best? i believe its a gatorback off the top of my head but i have no clue what size it is

·
Sex Panther, by Odeon
633 Posts
I'm going to hump the leg of my vortech and comment that you don't need to pull the head unit off the change the belt.

You need to check the alignment of your pulleys and make sure that none of your pullies are warped, loose, or excessively worn.

Gatorback belts are good, as well as gates. Whatever you do, don't buy a shitty belt, if you bust one it's really bad for the bearings on the head unit as well as whatever the broken belt violently strikes as it's cock smacking your engine.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I'm going to hump the leg of my vortech and comment that you don't need to pull the head unit off the change the belt.

You need to check the alignment of your pulleys and make sure that none of your pullies are warped, loose, or excessively worn.

Gatorback belts are good, as well as gates. Whatever you do, don't buy a shitty belt, if you bust one it's really bad for the bearings on the head unit as well as whatever the broken belt violently strikes as it's cock smacking your engine.
amen to that brotha'

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts

I'm going to hump my Vortech, too.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
[
I've changed several belts on my car. My mounting bracket sits on top of one of the motors idler pulleys. I have no idea how to replace the belt without taking it off since the mounting bracket bolt goes through the middle of that idler pulley. Actually there isn't any way to do it. But if you Vortech drivers know how to change a ProCharger belt then I would appreciate pictures so that I don't have to take the head unit off anymore.

·
Banned from AFM member!
783 Posts
The vortech has a mount on the bracket that has an aluminum spacer about two inches long that slides out between the bracket and the alternator. To make it simple, I just pull the alternator out. Which is much less asspain than pulling the head unit.

I guess ProCharger owners are kinda ****ed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The vortech has a mount on the bracket that has an aluminum spacer about two inches long that slides out between the bracket and the alternator. To make it simple, I just pull the alternator out. Which is much less asspain than pulling the head unit.

I guess ProCharger owners are kinda ****ed.
All I have to do on my Vortech YSI, is take that spacer out like you said, loosing a few mounting bolts on the braket, to give it a little room to take and put back the spacer. I don't have to remove the alt. I also have a foxlake p51 intake, which give you alot less room to work around.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
With my ProCharger I've never had to take the altenator off. It really isn't that hard take the head unit off. You loosen the hose clamp and take off the intake. You loosen the hose clamp on the hose that goes to the intercooler. You then remove the allen head bolt that goes through the ProCharger idler pulley (that was the spacer I lost) and remove one bolt and one nut holding the bottom of the bracket. The head unit and bracket then pulls right off. If you watch where all the spacers and washers go it goes back on pretty easy as well.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
yeah i have noticed the screw on the top but didnt know what it was so i didnt mess with it haha

so you have to take the head unit completely off to change the belt? what a pain!!

and what size belt to you recommend that works the best? i believe its a gatorback off the top of my head but i have no clue what size it is
Belt size depends upon which pulley you are running. I'm running a 3.7" pulley and use a 108" belt. Advanced Auto part # 5061080. I ran a Duralost belt once, part #1080K6. It fits very tight and I have no belt slipage problems. I'm not at all sure I could even get that belt on if the ProCharger pulley was 3.85".

If you call ProCharger and give them your serial number they can tell you which pulley the unit shipped with and which belt you would need.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts