Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are people buying misc Procharger parts? Superchargersonline.com has very little selection for Procharger parts.

I will be getting a used kit soon that needs some misc parts (intake tube, misc hardware for the bracket, tubing from intercooler to TB, idler pulley, etc...). Prochargers website does not seem to list individual parts unless I'm missing something.

Thanks for any info.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Call ProCharger. I haven't called them in several years but back then they had excellent service.

Reactions: GBPackerFan

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on it. I need them to answer some other questions but from looking at their site it seems to be full kits or headunits. Wasn't sure if there was another site I'm not finding...

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Pro charger will sell any part of their kit separately. However, it will be expensive and shipping is not cheap from them for some reason. As for the intake tube, either do an Anderson power pipe or a filter directly on to the head unit. I went the route of the OEM intake tube and it wasn’t worth it. Ended up going with a filter directly to the head unit and no problems so far. You can also order a cx racing piping kit from eBay and it will be cheaper than buying the pipes from them. Just my .02

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Corral for sale section is still pretty active. Id check there. FB groups.

Sorry man I don't know a lot about FI. I do know I hate overpaying for things but calling procharger will at least give you part numbers you need. Then you can hunt. eBay. Hell even these for sale apps like letgo. Look all over.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I don't mind paying extra for a quality product with excellent service. I realize a lot of people save money by buying used. I have had some success doing that and some failure. I hate buying others people's problems. I also don't mind paying a extra to get the right part instead of trying to make things fit. I remember a post where a guy had purchased the 99 idler pully instead of the 00-04 idler pulley (they are different) and couldn't get the belt on the car because it nearly rubbed the waterpump pulley. I hate fighting problems like that only to find out I have to buy another part.

When I was shredding belts (totally my fault) I damaged my P1SC's front seal (behind the pulley) causing it to leak. I didn't realize how easy it is to replace so I sent the head unit to ProCharger for repair because it still had a few weeks left on its 3-year warranty. I ended up paying $140 because they found fibers from the fan belt embedded in the seal. But they also found another seal leaking and replaced it for free. A year before that when I was having problems with the BOV they offered to replace it for free even though it wasn't under warranty. They walked me through troubleshooting it and I discovered a loose adjustment nut that was causing the BOV to leak. I tightened the nut and I've had no other problems in eight years. ProCharger has excellent technical support.

I later damaged at least a half dozen front seals and replaced them myself because I was too darn stubborn to align the pulleys properly. The shredded belts also cracked the timing chain cover which I had replaced. Now when I take the head unit off I am very, very careful of where the spacers go.

What I'm trying to say is that there are risks going cheap. I personally do not like dealing with those risks. I have seen posts from people who say they have found a cheaper supercharger oil. I still buy my oil from Procharger.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Yes I bought my ProCharger new and no I wouldn't have gone Vortech. ProCharger was self-contained. It came with an air-to-air intercooler and a blow-through BOV. Vortech didn't have an intercooler and had a draw-through BPV. I don't remember if Vortech offered its aftercooler back then. I don't remember anyone running it. If a Vortech driver wanted an intercooler they had to fabricate it themselves. Complete aftermarket kits were not yet available. I do remember that Vortech did not have a self-contained unit at the time. You had to run engine oil to lubricate the supercharger. Pretty much no one ran turbochargers. The On3 kit was not yet offered.

If I had to do it all over I'd still buy a ProCharger P1SC but I'm not shooting for 600 rwhp. I'm not planning on building my engine and a P1SC can make more horsepower than the stock rods and pistons can stand. If I ever decide to build my motor I'll send my head unit back to ProCharger and have them upgrade it to a D1SC.

There is nothing wrong with a Vortech build. Vortech makes a good head unit and you can get one that is self-contained if you wish. You can run it with or without an intercooler. Instead of fabricating your own, you can buy air-to-air intercooler kits or you can get Vortech's air-to-water aftercooler. I think an intercooler is better for the street and aftercooler is better for the dragstrip. But that is just my opinion.

I still have problems with Vortech's naming system. If I recall correctly, the gear box is V-1, V-2, and V-3. The compressors are S-trim and T-trim. I think I find some of it confusion is that people want to compare their V-1 to a P1SC. I think an accurate comparison would be an S-trim to a P1SC and a T-trim to a D1SC but I could be wrong.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
Thanks for the input eagle. From what I read vortech seems to be more reliable I'm talking newer offerings. Now vortech offers a self contained kit for cheaper. They also don't seem to leak like the procharger does. It just seems more of a bolt up and go solution without headaches. Again this is newer offerings and I could be wrong. I'm still trying to learn.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mind paying extra for a quality product with excellent service. I realize a lot of people save money by buying used. I have had some success doing that and some failure. I hate buying others people's problems. I also don't mind paying a extra to get the right part instead of trying to make things fit. I remember a post where a guy had purchased the 99 idler pully instead of the 00-04 idler pulley (they are different) and couldn't get the belt on the car because it nearly rubbed the waterpump pulley. I hate fighting problems like that only to find out I have to buy another part.

When I was shredding belts (totally my fault) I damaged my P1SC's front seal (behind the pulley) causing it to leak. I didn't realize how easy it is to replace so I sent the head unit to ProCharger for repair because it still had a few weeks left on its 3-year warranty. I ended up paying $140 because they found fibers from the fan belt embedded in the seal. But they also found another seal leaking and replaced it for free. A year before that when I was having problems with the BOV they offered to replace it for free even though it wasn't under warranty. They walked me through troubleshooting it and I discovered a loose adjustment nut that was causing the BOV to leak. I tightened the nut and I've had no other problems in eight years. ProCharger has excellent technical support.

I later damaged at least a half dozen front seals and replaced them myself because I was too darn stubborn to align the pulleys properly. The shredded belts also cracked the timing chain cover which I had replaced. Now when I take the head unit off I am very, very careful of where the spacers go.

What I'm trying to say is that there are risks going cheap. I personally do not like dealing with those risks. I have seen posts from people who say they have found a cheaper supercharger oil. I still buy my oil from Procharger.
I'm with you here although this kit I have is a used kit. He actually ended up including the idler pulley and intake so that helps. Now I need the tube going to the TB and the couplers associated with it. I might need the MAF adapter, depends if I go Lightning 90mm or a slot style. Most likely a slot style.

Corral for sale section is still pretty active. Id check there. FB groups.

Sorry man I don't know a lot about FI. I do know I hate overpaying for things but calling procharger will at least give you part numbers you need. Then you can hunt. eBay. Hell even these for sale apps like letgo. Look all over.
Yeah, FB groups and corral will be a source I use for sure.

Pro charger will sell any part of their kit separately. However, it will be expensive and shipping is not cheap from them for some reason. As for the intake tube, either do an Anderson power pipe or a filter directly on to the head unit. I went the route of the OEM intake tube and it wasn’t worth it. Ended up going with a filter directly to the head unit and no problems so far. You can also order a cx racing piping kit from eBay and it will be cheaper than buying the pipes from them. Just my .02
CX Racing tubing isn't a bad idea. Good point. I don't need much, just the tube to the TB and whatever else I mentioned above. I *might* end up getting a procharger intake but he is including the intake he used. It's basically a 90 degree tube with a filter on it.

Thanks guys! I will be calling Procharger tomorrow to talk to them.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
There are 2 things that I bought from procharger for my system. the first was the oil. As eagle said, there are cheaper oils, but theirs isn't too expensive.

The other was the 99 bracket. It's super hard to find them used and it was holding me back so I paid the 270 bucks.

Check out my build in my signature. I tried to outline everything possible for my build.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
If you are doing a ProCharger build then this is a part that I highly recommend. The ProCharger drain plug is on the bottom of the head unit. I did at least a dozen or so oil changes without it wrapping belts and pulleys with paper towels to protect them and then spraying down everything with brake cleaner afterwards. This ProCharger drain line made everything so much easier.
https://www.procharger.ca/products/...ardware/selfcontained-oil-drain-line-kit.html

It is available from a number of vendors just search ProCharger Drain Line.
http://www.houseofboost.com/store/s...harger-self-contained-oil-drain-line-kit.html
http://www.herbertcams.com/procharger-24-oil-drain-line-kit/

Just glancing at the advertisements, House of Boost seem to be the least expensive.

Reactions: GBPackerFan

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are 2 things that I bought from procharger for my system. the first was the oil. As eagle said, there are cheaper oils, but theirs isn't too expensive.

The other was the 99 bracket. It's super hard to find them used and it was holding me back so I paid the 270 bucks.

Check out my build in my signature. I tried to outline everything possible for my build.
Great build thread man. Cleared up where I’ll be putting my MAF (going slot style). Did you just buy a stock MAF for a 2005-2010 GT and then get the tubing with the welded bung on it? Seems easy enough...I’ll splice the connector also.

Edit - I saw you ended up using an SCT BA5000. That is the same MAF my tuner is telling me to buy. I’ll probabkt do that and have a bung welded into the piping. The pigtail to splice is cheap.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Thanks for the input eagle. From what I read vortech seems to be more reliable I'm talking newer offerings. Now vortech offers a self contained kit for cheaper. They also don't seem to leak like the procharger does. It just seems more of a bolt up and go solution without headaches. Again this is newer offerings and I could be wrong. I'm still trying to learn.
That surprises me. I'm had no problems other than what were caused by losing a spacer in over 120,000 miles. Vortech's are good blowers. The one thing that I have noticed is that because of their gear ratio they have to run a much smaller pulley to get the same level of boost and many have experienced belt slippages because of it. For example, I run a 3.7" pulley and get 8.9 psi through an intercooler. I don't remember exactly but Vortech's run a 3.4" or 3.3" pulley.

I'm not here to sell ProChargers. When I first joined the forum brand loyalty and misinformation was rampant. I will correct misinformation.

I haven't price checked for a long time but ProCharger's cost used to be comparable to a Vortech plus the intercooler kit. Whether its ProCharger or Vortech don't just look on-line at internet prices. Installers often sell kits a lot cheaper than the advertised price. At one time ProCharger did not allow installers/resellers to advertise different prices. But if you called one you could get a good deal. I got mine for substantially less than internet pricing. Also make sure you are comparing the cost of a full-kit to a tuner kit. I bought a full-kit that included everything including the serpentine belt. Tuner kits do not have everything.

Good luck with your build.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Great build thread man. Cleared up where I’ll be putting my MAF (going slot style). Did you just buy a stock MAF for a 2005-2010 GT and then get the tubing with the welded bung on it? Seems easy enough...I’ll splice the connector also.

Edit - I saw you ended up using an SCT BA5000. That is the same MAF my tuner is telling me to buy. I’ll probabkt do that and have a bung welded into the piping. The pigtail to splice is cheap.
I bought a tube for the maf. I was young and stupid (now just stupid) and did not understand how the MAF worked. The 2005-2009 OEM maf will work, but has to be reprogrammed for the injectors. I haven't had any issues with my BA5000.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought a tube for the maf. I was young and stupid (now just stupid) and did not understand how the MAF worked. The 2005-2009 OEM maf will work, but has to be reprogrammed for the injectors. I haven't had any issues with my BA5000.
I just bought a used ba5000 and 60lb injectors. What tube did you use? I see VMP makes a nice piece obviously. Spectre makes one but I’m scared of their quality...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Procharger sells a much more comprehensive kit for the 99-04 mustangs than Vortech. Head units are really similar in quality but finish goes to Procharger. I think prochargers can make better boost with the internal gear ratios without as much belt slip issues, but they are a bit more pricy.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Everything has to be reprogrammed. I could be wrong but I think I've read that MAFs are not programmed anymore. The programming is done in the ECU.

As I understand it our stock MAF is capable of 0-9 volts output. The ECU can only accept 0-5 volts input. Our stock MAF works fine up to around 360-370 rwhp at which point its output is 5 volts. That is why it appears to max out. It has plenty of room left but the ECU stops adding fuel at 5 volts.

If the output of the MAF is re-scaled using a Diablosport MAFia then the combo is capable of 800 rwhp. I have even read a post from a tuner who said he made 1000 rwhp using the stock MAF/MAFia combination but I think that was on an 05 GT. What re-scaling does is to proportionally reduce the voltage output of the MAF. For example, a 3 volt output might become 5 volts. A 9 volt output might become 5 volts. The important thing is that the output of any MAF needs to stay below 5 volts.

When my supercharger was first installed it made the power in my signature. It was a little more than expected. The MAF's output was slightly more than 5 volts. ProCharger had supplied a Diablosport tuning chip with the kit but the installer I picked could only tune SCT so I had to buy an SCT chip. Tuning chips do not change the MAF's output so he did some things that I later learned wasn't ideal. He made the air/fuel mixture rich mid-range which minimized leaning out at the top but it was still leaning out. I didn't like that so I went to a shop a little closer to home and had a MAFia installed. That smoothed everything out.

I am not selling the MAF/MAFia combination. I think the combination works great and have been running it for 10 years. But if I'm giving advice I think it is best to use the MAF your tuner suggests. All tuners are not the same. Some can adjust to your configuration and some only do a great job as long as you use the components they normally work with. Deviate from that and they have to start the learning curve all over again.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
I agree Eagle, I think that my tuner wasn't comfortable with the 05-09 MAF so I went ahead and upgraded. You build is definitely a testament to ProCharger and the 4.6 2v that everyone seems to hate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts