Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the two are better quality? I beleive the Vortech setup you have to tap the oil pan for return line and the Procharger is self contained. Of the two which would I get better preformance? My mods are listed in my garage if needed.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
procharger ftw (although i would consider a turbo)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Turbinator FTMFW hahahaha. but seriously.

+1 to baine. procharger is damn good, but theres also some really nice turbos out there.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
depends on what you want.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have an older Vortech V-1 S trim (the annoying noisy one). It has worked fine and has been reliable. My opinion on the oil lines with the Vortech? For all of the work that is required for installing any SC, the oil line is just one small part of it and not a big deal. I have NO opinion on which is better or why, just providing my experience.

An odd note that may or may not apply to you...
Vortech suggests not starting your car under ~30F unless you have an oil heater because of the "tolerances" inside the compressor. No idea if other superchargers have such a limit.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
depends on what you want.
Exactly what variables do you need to make an educated suggestion. You can see much of what I have in my garage, but as far as where I want the car to be I'd like it to have 425-450 rwhp (now at 285 rwhp) more of a streetable/strip car. Any advise is welcome.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Well, the procharger D1 has oil lines, the D1-SC, P1-SC, and F models are self-contained.

All vortech superchargers use oil lines. Advantages of oil lines are you are much less likely to have any oil leakage issues. Disadvantages are you are using whatever engine oil you have in your engine on your supercharger. So if your engine oil is dirty or hot or contaminated with gas or coolant, that is what you are putting in your supercharger. Blow a head gasket and you might have to replace the bearings in your supercharger at the same time.

Self contained units from procharger are not subjected to engine oil, so they tend to run cooler, they use a purpose designed light weight synthetic oil that works well at all temps. But, you have other issues, like spending an extra $10 every oil change on procharger oil and the very common seal leakage issues.

Prochargers are nice since they incorporate an intercooler, but they are more expensive and better suited for high horsepower applications, 10 PSI an up. The smaller vortechs and even NOVI-1000 superchargers are a little better at making down low streetable power with out overdoing it up top.

The fit and finish of a vortech is hard to beat. the power capability of a procharger is better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The fit and finish of a vortech is hard to beat. the power capability of a procharger is better.
Agreed.

We opted for the procharger because of the self contained oil setup and liked the intercooler setup. The intercooler is going to allow you to run a higher timing w/o detonation. Vortech offers an aftercooler, or you could get into alc. injection, but by the time you get into that you could have purchased the procharger setup.

Either choice should get you into the 400+ range. The vortech should be an easier setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts