Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what the difference between the 2 head units are? I'm pretty sure the D1 can run more boost and produce more power, but does it have more Lag? Is one louder than the other? Are they both acceptable for a daily driver? I'm not planning on ever taking my car above 450 RWHP and I would still like all the power to be streetable.

I'm having a real hard time deciding between Procharger or Whipple so I would like to at least make up my mind on which procharger I would choose when the time comes so that I can compare the proper model to the whipple.

Also I was wondering what gauges I need to get installed? I know boost and a/f ratio are a must have, any other important ones I need?

Last question, How much did you supercharged guys pay for installation?

Thanks

Adam

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I had a Procharger P1SC until recently. It was an excellent unit and upgradeable to the D series but not the F. The D series is more efficient and will provide more boost but if your rwhp goal is 450 and you intend on keeping the stock motor, unless the price difference is small, the P1SC will more than suffice.

The P1SC was very loud. You would definitely lose the sleeper status. There was no lag but it's a centri and is hungry for rpms. Needs 3500 rpms to really get going. I sold my unit and the new owner made a 12.2 quarter pass on street tires. Alas, he also blew his tranny recently (fairly easy fix). I think he had about 450 rear wheel. Unless you're planning on doing major mods (block, tranny, rearend, fuel etc), I would keep it in the 420-450 rwhp range. Still no guarantees at that level.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Forensic gave you sound advice. The D-1 is just a bit more efficient, making a tad more boost at lower RPM and can be spun a bit higher without extreme heat.

I also second his mention of the P1SC being a perfect candidate for the power you want to make. I'm running my P1 at 11 lbs and getting 480 to the pavement on a mustang dyno. Tune is not at all very hot either.

·
Registered
644 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Thing would be smoldering hot as well swinging AIT temps tremendously at that kinda poundage..
No kidding. lol

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
VA, by any chance have you ever asked them what they tested maxes on? I always forget to ask, because I know how hot my IAT get at the track on 11lbs, can't imagine how hot, and how much power loss occurs running all out at 32 on a P-1..

·
Registered
644 Posts
I have not since 32psi is not even possible for me at this time. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
oh damn this is an old thread I found this in a google search sorry for the revival.

You will never see 32psi with a P1sc. A prime example I have a 96 v6 mustang running a P1sc spinning at 60,000 rpm (max impeller speed is 62,000rpm) and I only make 15psi. I went from a 3.60 pulley making 13psi to 3.20 pulley and only picked up 2psi so yes the P1sc is very inefficient at high impeller speeds. I even lost power because of the extra heat made by it, I went from 12.1X to 12.3x with the smaller pulley (and no there is no belt slip). I will be upgrading to a D1sc and Highly recomend it to any one that wants a procharger unit smaller than a F series.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
2 totally different applications. At 6300 rpm I am now pushing 13 and half pounds with a 3.85 pulley off a calibrated mechanical gauge. The way boost has increased for me incrementally over each pulley swap, I would see an easy 18-19lbs with a 3.2 like you did.

No one will ever run a P1sc at 32 PSI on the street, the thing would be boiling oil. ATI did it to prove a point, and that is that it could be done on a cog set up if one were to only require single passes in track use, not street driveability.

The key here is we are maxing our stock motors with reliable cool boost without going to a D-1..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts