Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question I am sure but I can't find the answer..

What is the difference between progressive rate springs and fixed rate springs?

for a DD should I get progressive rate? I recently bought some fixed rate but haven't put them on because I saw that in the fine print.. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Registered
811 Posts
progresive means the spring gets harder as it gets compresed. fixed or specific rate means that it is one set rate. im not sure which would be good for a DD.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahhh, so does that mean that the fixed rates will be too loose or too stiff? I have them setting in my room.. I dont wanna use them unless they are gonna work.. grr I guess I'll just return them and get some H&R Super Sport Springs and some Tokico Blues.. =[

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
I dont know why, and I maybe mistaken also, but I recall Progressive rate bein better all around.

Btw, Props on the new sig Riddlee, looks sweet :cool:

·
Registered
811 Posts
thanks man i love it. 98musclestang (i think that is his name) did great on it. um can't help you on which is better. i just know my dad told me the dif cause i am looking at springs also.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Progressive Rate = Exactly what it sounds like... the spring rate gets PROGRESSIVELY higher as the spring compresses. For instance, at .5" compression, the spring rate may be 400 lb/in. Then, at 1" compression, it may be 500 lb/in. The "advantage" is that the spring rate is "softer" on small bumps and such.

Specific Rate = 500lb/in... all the time, for instance.

There's no inherently "best" one for a daily driver, really. It's just personal preference.

If you've got specific rate springs that fit the bill for drop and rate, then I wouldn't be afraid to use them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot! That was the answer I was looking for. So overall its probably gonna be better for me if I have shocks struts and progressive rate springs

·
Registered
452 Posts
Thanks a lot! That was the answer I was looking for. So overall its probably gonna be better for me if I have shocks struts and progressive rate springs
You're welcome... and like I said, it's a matter of personal preference or whatever setup is most like what you want. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to return the linear springs and get a different set of progressive, especially if the linear ones have the drop and rate that you want. The difference really isn't that significant. But, again, it's up to you.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're welcome... and like I said, it's a matter of personal preference or whatever setup is most like what you want. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to return the linear springs and get a different set of progressive, especially if the linear ones have the drop and rate that you want. The difference really isn't that significant. But, again, it's up to you.
I am not technically enclined enough to know if the rate works for my car sadly =[

1 - 10 of 10 Posts