Modded Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1329 Posts

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thats cool man. I can dig it i guess. Cool build but to me i wouldnt waste time with an eaton either. Why do you want a t-56? And if your planing on keeping it, then atleast get rid of those headlights! All that work for a crummy eaton is shitty. I still to this day dont know why people spend 2900+ on eaton swaps.
First off wow, overwhelmed by the responses.

And the Eaton swap is a starting point. I can easily replace it with a KB or Whipple on a whim. I'm going to focus on this as a start though. I could also sell it off later and go turbo, it's just the start.

As far as the T56, I like the extra gear. And as much as I hate to admit it, I hated the shaved doorhandles and headlights when I bought it, but they've grown on me, and I'm going to keep them. Just one of the many very unique aspects of it.

At least I don't have euro taillights.:eek:

Also regarding insurance, I may not get the coverage but I do pay less than half the premium because the VIN is GT.

But in the end it's just a project. If I end up over budget so be it, it's my work of art, and hopefully others can learn from it.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ah I saw that in the classifieds and I was tempted. But then I'd still need to get all the heads and hardware.

Plus I've got nowhere to store it and no way to transport it right now. Tough to stuff a shortblock in a Neon you know? (Though putting 2 quarterpanels, a deck lid and a fender is possible. Ask me how I know.) And as is I've got all the supercharger parts sitting in my living room. Smells like a nice mix of gas, oil, and coolant in that corner.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Good luck with your build man. I was not.tryimg to put down your build just some people have wishfull build thoughts at wishfull prices, you can ask me how I know :)

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good luck with your build man. I was not.tryimg to put down your build just some people have wishfull build thoughts at wishfull prices, you can ask me how I know :)
I don't mind what others say, I know in the end it's my build. Quite honestly even if this cost me an arm and a leg I'd still go through with it. It's more the fun of building it than anything else.

And wishful build thoughts? Dude, I'm horribly jealous of you and that steal you got on your Cobra. If I could have gotten one that cheap you can bet mine would be on the front lawn with a for sale sign. You should list one of your mods as a horseshoe up your ass, because I can't explain that kind of luck otherwise.:p

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Good progress man, looks good. Keep us updated

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well I'm back from a trip to SoCal to run fuel system tests for work. First some anecdotes. I found the other engineers in the group loved their fast cars, and would buy and sell them on a whim. These guys drove everything from brand new GTO's to BMW's to Porsches. At the same time, none of them wrenched on them or upgraded them. Such a terrible shame. I'm extremely glad I'm embarking on this road.

Regarding cost-
I could technically have this Eaton swap done for another $200 or so. That'd put the grand total under $7000 for a 500hp car. Granted the components may not last that long at that level. That really isn't too shabby. But since this is a project, a work of art, I'm going all out. This isn't meant to be a clone but rather an extremely gratifying one of a kind build. Something that fits you like a glove when you're done. Also putting this in perspective, even if I go over budget and end up with close to $15k sunk into it, it's not at the level of a $15k termi vert, it's going to be with the likes of a $25k modded termi coupe. And to those that advocate a cheaper powerplant than the Eaton swap...I do admit that is partially true. In this month's Hot Rod magazine a budget LS put down 600hp for about $3500. But to get myself an LS vehicle would be close to $10k, so I'll count myself lucky.

Alright. Rant over. Back to the build.

Additional parts I forgot to mention: Wideband, poly engine mounts, custom gauges.

Engine build:
I'm electing to go with a rotating assembly from MMR. I'm opting for the 11cc dish, which should put me at a rather comfortable 9.1:1 or so CR. I'm also stepping up to the Manley 4340 pistons and H beam rods. Any reccommendations on alternate hardware brands/sources? I know the MMR hardware is only good up to around 550hp, and I'd rather have the extra room to grow for when I slap on a KB or Whipple. The Manley upgrades should put me in the neighborhood of 800hp.

And as always I'm sure there's some deals going on with MMR for forum members. If I'm not mistaken I've talked with a dealer for them who's on here about this before. I guess now he knows I'm serious. :D

For cams I can't quite remember the model number/manufacturer I was looking at. I vaguely remember "262" in the title, and they were stage II blower cams. I recall seeing them mentioned numerous times and highly reccommended. If anyone can help on that end it'd be greatly appreciated. Otherwise it's back to digging through threads. Also will there be any PTV clearance issues with this?

I'm also going to pick up a book on building Mod motors since this will be my first. I've built a number of pushrod motors in the past, but this will be my first DOHC.

Transmission build:
Still going with a T-56. Any suggestions for sourcing? I'd prefer to go used to keep with the theme of the build. I know Jazzer picked one up for his swap awhile ago, not sure if he'll chime in.

Tuning:
I might opt to just get an SCT tuner from AM with free tunes. This would save me a lot of headaches and time. And who isn't impatient? Plus hopefully this can turn my PATS off so I can pop that Cobra dash cluster in ASAP.

Whew. Never a dull moment.

·
Resident Diabetic...
1,827 Posts
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Where and How much for the supercharger? Thats going to be a smokin ass fast car! Nice!

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I bought the supercharger kit for $2500 from a guy in southern Indiana off of SVTPerformance forums. Keep in mind the supercharger itself is a very small part of that kit, and it includes the timing cover, intake manifold, harness, PS pump, Alternator, pulleys and probably close to 100 parts. It's a huge kit. You might be able to snag one over there, but I doubt you'd get such a complete kit. I lucked out on this one. I had made the decision to go turbo a couple of weeks prior, and I'm glad I didn't order any parts for it when this popped up.

And fast? Eh, I guess I'd call 550hp ish pretty quick. There's a guy back home with a 97 Cobra vert running a 76mm turbo and putting down 780rwhp. Now that I'd call fast.

·
RIP Dennis
76,390 Posts
I bought the supercharger kit for $2500 from a guy in southern Indiana off of SVTPerformance forums. Keep in mind the supercharger itself is a very small part of that kit, and it includes the timing cover, intake manifold, harness, PS pump, Alternator, pulleys and probably close to 100 parts. It's a huge kit. You might be able to snag one over there, but I doubt you'd get such a complete kit. I lucked out on this one. I had made the decision to go turbo a couple of weeks prior, and I'm glad I didn't order any parts for it when this popped up.

And fast? Eh, I guess I'd call 550hp ish pretty quick. There's a guy back home with a 97 Cobra vert running a 76mm turbo and putting down 780rwhp. Now that I'd call fast.
Yea its someone we know named Jacob...

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yes indeedy! He showed me the good size windows he put in his block. I feel bad for him but his loss, my gain I suppose.

I'm tempted to post up some of the videos of his car in action he had linked on SVTP, including footage of the motor blowing.

And as a note I do not intend succumbing to the same fate.

White, any tips on rotating assembly?

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Yeah i seen that video it was awesome atleast he went down racing a TA. My tips on rotating assmemblys are to buy shortblocks. You wont save alot of dough buy just buying the rods, pistons, bearings etc. Its like 1599.99 for the rotating assembly then add 300 or so for your block honing machine work etc. Its really not saving the 300-500, especially if your not a confident engine builder. I like mmr as they have great prices and are very well known. Buy a mmr shortblock, order the head studs, head gaskets, oil pan gasket and have your heads checked. Bolt the heads and oil pan on, then the intake and accessories and your done. Easy as that.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Not to be a dick but do you think its worth putting 10 plus grand in a car you bought for 3500?
If you count all the money I have tied up in my car and add the price of my car on top of it I too could've boughten a termi, but it just wouldn't be the same

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you count all the money I have tied up in my car and add the price of my car on top of it I too could've boughten a termi, but it just wouldn't be the same
Amen to that! How many guys out there have $30k sunk into their customized classic Impalas? Do you think any of them ever contemplated just buying one already done? Hell no. When I pull into a car show I want the reaction of "Wow, I've never seen one like that before."
[Sorry, on 4 hours sleep and several energy drinks. A bit wound up.]

White- I'm tempted to get a short block, I think it's like a $700 difference at this point. If I can find a cheap set of 03+ DOHC heads and accessories I'd do it in a heartbeat. The problem is for some odd reason it's usually cheaper to get a fully dressed 03+ DOHC motor than getting just the heads. I could just rob the parts off a Continental like I originally outlined in my franken-fourvalve thread, but I want the 03+ C heads since they flow better. I may be keeping this a used part build, but no sense in compromising for a couple extra bucks.

As usual nothing's easy, I'll have to make some phone calls and see what I can do. If I can find a Mach 1 5-spd liftout I wouldn't even need a new crank. I have a feeling this part of the build will depend largely upon what I can find.

Note: I'd like to keep the engine a stand alone build if possible, so I can sell my P71 as a liftout to maximize the return. Unless of course you think the price difference between selling a fully dressed and longblock is negligible.

More parts I forgot to include: New CC plates, possible coalescing oil filter, valve springs with the new cam

Fuel System:
Planning on a 03/04 Cobra tank setup with twin GT pumps, BAP down the line if I push it that hard.
42 lb/hr injectors. Might be able to get away with 39 lb/hr.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Or you can buy a shortblock off corral or wherever i just pulled the trigger on a brand new 4.6L Windsor cast iron block standard bore, Cobra forged steel crank, Manley H-beam rods, Mahle 17cc forged dish pistons (03-04 Cobra) with thick wall pins, annodized top ring lands and dry film coated skirts, Federal Mogul HP bearings, balanced rotating assembly to the gram, with damper, Ford Racing aluminum flywheel, oil pan gasket, head gaskets, and oil filter gasket for 2100.

21 - 40 of 1329 Posts