Modded Mustang Forums banner

Projectors headlamp assembly w/HIDs

2K views 37 replies 12 participants last post by  R3dFyre02 
#1 ·
I want to get these projector headlights below. Is there a problem with putting My HIDs into these projector lights? I have HID 4500k 55watt setup hi/lo

See less See more
#9 ·
hids in projectors that are meant for halogens, dont work well. believe me. i have projectors with 55w hids and the light output it horrible. im probably switching back to the stock reflector housings. if you really want projectors, then look online for projectors made for hid bulbs. but it will be very expensive to retrofit them in.

#11 ·
Yes you can use HID on them but you will have trouble fitting
the HID bulb because those headlights have a plastic cover
in back of them. here are a few things to consider
*the projector shakes a lot
*they are very difficult to Aim to even level
*they have condensation issues (fishtanks)
*the lenses fade and turn yellow very quickly
*they don't fit perfectly
*55w will burn the projector.
*the high beam sucks ass.
*they are simply gay

#19 ·
Heres an old thread of mine about HID's and projectors to help you a bit
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/v6-mustangs/188983-hids-halo-projectors.html
I know alot of people dont like them but if you want them then go for it! I do however not recommend HID's in them, the headlights are meant to run halogens, like stated before retorfit in a housing like you have now is alot safe, better looking, etc. Hope i helped:D

#22 ·
Waiting on redfire to get back to me on how much a retrofit would cost me, i already have the HID's but they are on my car so i dont want to take them down to send them to him, ill just aim them myself, that leaves the new headlights, the projector, the white cap and black paint to get him. crossing my fingers and waiting.

#23 ·
You'll need different bulbs and connectors anyways.

Most real Bi-xenon projectors use D2S bulbs with entirely different connectors.

#25 ·
Wait what..?

If he's making you headlight housings what projectors is he using for them?

Also, what is your current HID and headlight housing set up?

#26 ·
Depo headlight replacements from AmericanMuscle.com $129.00
Morimoto Mini D2S projectors from TheRetrofitSource.com $120.00
3” domed pipe cap from Lowes $4.00
Satin black krylon $3.00??
Morimoto 5Five 5000k D2s Bulbs $50.00
DDM tuning 55w ballasts $60.00
D2s to amp converters from TRS.com $25.00

That is his construction list, everything needed for him to do his conversion. my current setup is listed in my sig.

#27 ·
Yeah, then like I said you'll need new D2S bulbs and D2S HID adapters for the electrical connectors. These are already listed in your build list though.

#29 ·
He sold me the headlights he first built.
Here is what i currently have
vvvvv
Clear corner black housing headlights
FX-R bi-xenon projectors
6k DDM Bulbs
35w ballast from DDM.
D2S connectors for the HID bulbs
Hi/Lo relay to open the projector and activate hi beams
Switchback white/amber 3157 LED turn signal bulbs from ebay.

If you think about it the 05-11 projector headlights run about $300
If you are going for projectors do it right the first time because
Those dual halo ones are low quality and the condensation is unstoppable. I guarantee
You will want to sell them within 3 maybe 2 months of having them on your car.

#31 ·
Does anyone on here or an aftermarket company offer retrofited clear housings? I'm really not comfortable with opening the headlight assembly and following the guide in the visual section.

#35 ·
oops... sorry guys. work has been a bit busy these last few weeks or so. not a whole lot of time to Email while at work. DGT and Lumoon. I have both your Emails and will respond to them in a bit. I normally dont float in the v6 section as there is virtually no info in here for my 86 v6... But email always gets to me. you will both have responses soon. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.