Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have prjector headlights with halogen high beams and im still not satisfied with the light output. i have been contemplating getting HID's for a little while and was wondering if anyone knew how to do it?

since i have projector headlights already can i use them? how would having projector low's with halogen high's work out?

·
Registered
384 Posts
well you really dont want to run HIDs in projectors because the HIDS get really hot and will melt the housing. But if you really want to just buy the HIDs for the same bulb type as the bulbs in your projectors

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HID's run cooler than halogen bulbs. what about the fact that the high beams and low beams are seperate?

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
from what ive heard, both of you are somewhat correct, hids use less power so they would run cooler but projectors focus the light making them hotter, ive heard it works if you have real and good quality projectors but cheap ones will melt

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It is possible to run HID's with projectors, but after some time the housing will get little white vertical cracks for the heat. It doesnt effect the performance of the lights but it isnt the prettiest thing to look at.
:2cents

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what would you suggest then?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used to have the projector headlights with the halo rings and the light output and projector beam pattern sucked with the halogen bulb but even when I put in HID's it just made the terrible narrow projector beam pattern a little brighter but the beam was still really narrow so i got rid of the projectors headlights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have never installed HID lights into a mustang or any car for that matter, but from what I have read you should use a projector that is designed for a HID lamp. Reflector housings like those in our mustang headlights can produce stray beams of light when paired with HIDs that can be unsafe for oncoming drivers. Like I said I have never installed or seen what HIDs look like in a stang but in order to do it "correctly" you should retrofit a projector that is made for HID's into the housing. Otherwise you can always adjust them so they aim lower and don't blind other drivers. My buddy has them installed in a 05 chevy truck and the cut off isn't crisp at all but they look sweet at night and hes never been pulled over for them. Another friend has them in a sierra denali that came with projectors and regular halogens... his cutoff is way better and he hasn't had any probs with cracking. Cheaper projectors may crack, so you may just have to try them and see how they look.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
My HID high beams from DDM suck ass...
lol....that's why i don't buy hi/lo HID kits...it's not just DDM...it's VVME, and ebay kits alike (been there done that)...you do know that when you change to hi beam the bulb just shifts a little higher right? i mean sure it gives a bit more distance but in reality it's not worth the difference...that being said...to me to low's are more then enough for a DD

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well then i guess that solves that problem. i guess i will just get low beam HID's for the projectors then

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
yeah if I could go back I'd get just low beams...but o well, live n learn.
did they fit ok in your headlights? i remember you asking me about them

i actually just got the low beams from ddm, as said before, the high beams suck, i couldnt tell the diff between the 2 honestly

·
MM's Ginger
3,250 Posts
Man your cobra is teh secks

lol i had 6k 35w from ddm then went to 8k 35w and cant tell the diff, a lil blown but oh well

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so i got a question since i have a seperate bulb for the high beams how would i retain the use of those? because when you order the lo beam kit it doesnt have the plug for the high beams. does this make sense?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts