Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Anyone here using the Promotion 3650 transmission in their car? It's about time to replace mine I think and am considering that one. Any comments on it pro or con? I make about 500rwhp.

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have one. Works great, shifts very smooth. Get the carbon fiber syncros, and 26 spline input shaft (you will need a 26 spline clutch disk).

DON'T use synthetic fluid in it. I forget what they recommend for fluid.
You will have to ask Walt.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Definitely getting the 750hp rated tranny - it has the carbon fiber synchros I think.

lol, yeah, I learned all about synthetic ATF in the 3650. I put Mobil 1 in mine 6 weeks ago. Went to the track and couldn't do a WOT shift from 1st to 2nd. Thought my synchros were shot. I drained that out, put regular Mercon back in and it works fine.

I have one. Works great, shifts very smooth. Get the carbon fiber syncros, and 26 spline input shaft (you will need a 26 spline clutch disk).

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
what's so hot about their 3650's? i looked on their website and they didn't have the best description of their products?

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
they have awesome customer service. i run there tr6060, nice products

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im also using one. Im running their clutch too. Very good products, they've always answered my questions directly and quickly. Its a little clunkier but they warned me that would happen and its normal. Shifts very smooth and try as I may, I can't break it. Im also in the area of 500rwhp.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts

What will synthetic fluid do you your tranny?

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
What will synthetic fluid do you your tranny?
Synthetic fluid is too slippery for the friction lining and doesnt allow the blocker rings to slow down the next gear properly for a gear change

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amen on that! It's probably fine if you don't race but it's no good for racing conditions. I could actually complete the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts at WOT but the 1-2 shift was impossible. I assume because 1-2 have the greatest gearing differential and like F8LGT said it just couldn't slow down quick enough.

Synthetic fluid is too slippery for the friction lining and doesnt allow the blocker rings to slow down the next gear properly for a gear change

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
So what fluid should I use? I plan to change mine soon and was gonna go synthetic until now.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
regular motorcraft mercon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts