Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its only a few more months until I have to store my mustang for winter. So im wondering if you guys have any suggestions as to how I should do it?

Ive heard its best to put the car on jack stands rather than leave it sit on the wheels. True or false?

Should I fill the gas tank full? Or does it matter?

Ive heard of some people filling their motors right full of oil (i mean full to the top of the valve cover). Im not so sure on this..

Some say to just do a simple oil change before parking so its clean.

Should I be starting the car every so often? Or just let it sit without running until its ready to be driven again?

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,592 Posts
I've left my trucks stored for months while I deployed. I'd always keep the tank full and add Sta-bil. That keeps moisture out of the tank. Put fresh oil in it, once again get any trapped moisture out of the oil. No need to fill it like you mentioned. If you put it on stands put the stands under the suspension and not the body. The purpose of stands is to prevent flat spots on the tires. Un hook the battery and wait for summer. If it's going to be outside cover it. Starting it won't hurt just be sure to keep the gas tank full.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
if you park it full you dont need sta-bil from what i've been tought, theres no room for condensation in a full tank. but yea, you've got it right pretty much, just dont over fill the oil, never a good idea, if you happen to forget, you've got problems after haha.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
That would suck to have to own a car but not be able to drive it but half the year. Whats the problem with driving it? What else are you going to drive? Sorry for the questions but im in louisiana so i would know anything about that. Is it because the snow/salt rust the car up too much or dangerous to do or what?

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would suck to have to own a car but not be able to drive it but half the year. Whats the problem with driving it? What else are you going to drive? Sorry for the questions but im in louisiana so i would know anything about that. Is it because the snow/salt rust the car up too much or dangerous to do or what?

I dont want to drive it because I will surely get stuck fairly often(we get a lot of snow here). And I dont want the car to rust as it is pretty much rust free right now. I also dont want to chance getting into an accident and have mis matched paint or any other possible issues. Yeah it sucks having to park it, but id rather drive a mustang half of the year than not at all

I have a 98 saturn sc2 i drive in winter as it has winter tires and a command start..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Pain in the ass to drive it in the winter, atleast if you get caught when it starts snowing and yea Salt and stuff is the main reason I think people up here worry about, and yes it sucks not driving the pony in the winter :(

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
gotcha! 1 up for living in the south! LOL.

1 down for it being over a 100 ALL THE TIME!

0-0

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
lol Baker, i only drive my car less than 1000 miles a year. I probably drive it a total of 4 days a month if that. (not counting track days)

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
SMS.... you need to drive that thing man! LOL. People put more miles on their "track ONLY car" 1/4 at a time than you do. LOL.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
lol, yeah i know. less i drive it the longer i can enjoy it lol. My truck is almost as fun to drive with the stroker

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Its only a few more months until I have to store my mustang for winter.
That is so sad. :( I've had my Mustang rust proofed, I put all season tires on it, and I drive it all year long. It only gets parked during the worst snow storms.

lol Baker, i only drive my car less than 1000 miles a year. I probably drive it a total of 4 days a month if that. (not counting track days)
1000 miles per year! :eek: I drive mine 20,000+ miles per year. It is definitely not a garage queen. If I wear this one out I'll just get a low mileage New Edge for two or three thousand and transfer the go fast parts to it.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Every time I store my car I throw stabil in the tank and fill it up and also change the oil. Then I run it for a little while to make sure it gets worked through the system. Park it in the garage and let it sit. I'll usually start it up every couple months and let it run until it's up to temp.

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Last time I stored my car for a deployment, I changed the oil, added stabil, checked the coolant, and let it ride. Funny how a car in storage for a year ends up getting stored with 55,000 and gets out of storage with 72,000, bald rear tires, and needing new brakes all around. How does that happen? Damn roommates.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Last time I stored my car for a deployment, I changed the oil, added stabil, checked the coolant, and let it ride. Funny how a car in storage for a year ends up getting stored with 55,000 and gets out of storage with 72,000, bald rear tires, and needing new brakes all around. How does that happen? Damn roommates.
oh man!! i would def have some roommates shelling out some money on that one!! i would have been pissed!! :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I tried driving mine up until the very last moment I could and was surprised by a snowstorm one day the first year I bought mine. Needless to say, you get stuck in PLOWED parking lots using 555rs........ I also got stuck in my plowed flat driveway last year when I just backed it out to start it up in the middle of winter.... embarrassing. Moral of story, 10.5 555r = bad winter tire.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
stabil for sure and run it through your system for a few mins then store it i really like that inflatable car cover where did you get that thats the **** Ryguy33 and how much also is it durable

·
Registered
997 Posts
I dont want to drive it because I will surely get stuck fairly often(we get a lot of snow here). And I dont want the car to rust as it is pretty much rust free right now. I also dont want to chance getting into an accident and have mis matched paint or any other possible issues. Yeah it sucks having to park it, but id rather drive a mustang half of the year than not at all

I have a 98 saturn sc2 i drive in winter as it has winter tires and a command start..
+1 man. im in washington state we get a lot of snow.. i have had to drive my stang in the snow for the past two winters. it sucks balls. im tryin to get a little hoopty truck to drive for the winter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts