Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I continue on the quest for tires, I'm trying to find out the pros of cons of auto cross tires like the nitto NT01 and toyo R888, I keep hearing about heat cycling tires and how that can attribute to the performance of the tire, also what I'm worried about is what could happen to these tires if I don't drive my car for a couple of months during the winter are the tires more likely to deform? So please just list pros and cons of these types of tires or any extra care that needs to be taken compared to max performance summer tires.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
ive run mt et street drag radials and have never had any issues and my car is parked all winter aswell they wont deform from sitting over the winter

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
oh the pros you will hookup like a mofo.... the cons your dad hates those type of tires lol i remember that from another thread.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I don't get it! But I'm not gonna complain since he's buying them but i wanna try to get as much life out of them as possible

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
take a look at the toyo proxy tq thats what i have coming with the forge stars a little more streetable than the mt et streets and in a 315:naughty:

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's so hard to find a 315 18

·
Too broke
787 Posts
i keep my ET Drags in the house when I'm not racing or lending them out. i cover them up and store them in a closet. keep them away from air compressors and/or furnaces, they give out atmosphere, that will dry them out

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Besides wet surface traction and mileage, there are no disadvantages to running DR's or any other DOT slicks, only advantages. There really shouldn't be any issues hard parking with radials. I would if they were bias ply.

As far as heat cycling, I am a firm believer. They will help your tires last longer and perform better. Been racing different forms of autos and motorcycles for 30 years. We always scrubbed/heat cycled our tires for competition. Discount Tire actually has a heat cycling service on some kinda burnout machine that is supposed to be much better than doing it yourself. I had a set of triple 5 DR's that I had them heat cycle for me and they lasted about 18K miles with no track time.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
i keep my ET Drags in the house when I'm not racing or lending them out. i cover them up and store them in a closet. keep them away from air compressors and/or furnaces, they give out atmosphere, that will dry them out

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Give out atmosphere?

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
He's not talking about drag radials or drag tires here boys and girls, he is looking at autocross tires. Neither the R888 or NT01 are DOT SLICKS though...

The Hoosier A6/R6, Khumo V710, Hankook Z214, and the BFG R1S are all DOT slicks. They literally have zero tread pattern and the DOT minimum 2 circumferential grooves. The R888 and NT01 are treaded R-Compound summer tires.

All R Compound tires will heat cycle with use. The more you heat them up and cool them down the less grip they will have. The Hoosier A6 for example, will get about 40 competitive runs before it heat cycles enough to start to lose grip, the R6 tends to last about 4-5 track days before heat cycling out. Treaded R-Compounds tend to last a little longer before falling off and the falling off isn't nearly as drastic as a true DOT slick does.

Good luck on your quest... the good autocross street tires do not come in 315's. The DOT R-Comps do, but you can't DD them. Well, you CAN but they are downright dangerous in the wet and will wear out REALLY fast.

If you want to run 315's, your best bet may be two sets of tires, one for the street and one for competition. Buy Hoosier A6's in the size you want on a second set of wheels and mount some Continental ExtremeContact DW tires in whatever size you are comfortable with on your current set of wheels.

·
Insomniac
5,912 Posts
I actually have a set of kumho v710 that I drag race on, I left them on the car for about a week one time, drove through the rain and everything with no ill effects. Are they ideal for dd'ing? Prolly not but they aren't suicidal in inclimate weather so if that's what you want, do it

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Give out atmosphere?

He's referring to dry air. Air compressors will pull moisture out of air and it ends up in the bottom of the tank.

Like 07 Boss stated. Drag radials are terrible in wet conditions. Could be compared to being on ice.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
You are right that the OP is not really talking about DOT slicks but we got the jest of what he was asking. Though I still rock my DR's all year round, and that was when she was a my DD also, I have done damage to my car due to my tire selection.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010/186462-danger-running-drs.html

I don't care now because my Mustang won't see any rain. But for those couple of times a year that she used to, it was still pretty nerve racking because now I was driving 45 in the slow lane with the hazards on, constantly checking my rear view for the guy coming up to rear end me. She only comes out once or twice a week now, so I can pick and choose when she does.

So, just that bit of caution is my only advice to you. Been racing cars 30 years (crashed a few) and think I'm an exceptional well rounded experienced driver, BUT that **** can sneak up on you and bite you in the ass real quick.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I make sure if I do bring the car out I make sure it's not gonna rain that day, my car hasn't seen rain since 2010, but what I'm worried about is heat cycling on the highway, I'm sure faym can attest to the area we live we need to get on the highway to get to alot of places, like the beach which is a 45 min drive or if I didn't take the highway prob around double that, it just seems like in my area or where I like to go I can either take highway to go to the mall which is a 15 min drive or take all back roads and it takes me 30- 45 mins, and I'm not really that worried about tire life because its maybe driven 3 times a week for 15-20 around town

1 - 15 of 15 Posts