Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just installed some new headlights on the stang. I want to keep them from getting fogged like the last ones, any tips?

Thanks

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
^Yep.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Keep it garaged whenever possible, if not possible park it so it faces North to minimise exposure to UV from direct sunlight...

Plastic is a terrible material from which to make headlight lenses, but it's cheaper and gives the design team more freedom...

·
Registered
499 Posts
in my experience, sealing them up wont fix his problem, the problem occurs on the outside. there is nothing to prevent this except black out covers or put a coat of clear on them to protect them. to fix the headlight that has turned white, wet sand it down with some fine sand paper such as 1200grit, dont go no gritier than 800,dont worry about them looking all scratched up and not getting them clear again, it comes out with the next step,put a coat of clear on them, they will look brand new, just dont scratch them after the clear, treat like the paint,the plus side is you still have the tint on there because its on the inside. 3m makes a kit that is for this exact problem, that is a waste of money b/c what i said above is all it does exept they use something other than clear.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
if you're planning on protecting a new set just keep a good coat of wax on them. that should help with some of the haziness, and it helps get bug guts off of them easier.

·
Registered
900 Posts
oh. I thought he was just trying to keep the moisture out. I keep a good coat of wax on mine too, like mustanginky said.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
if you're planning on protecting a new set just keep a good coat of wax on them. that should help with some of the haziness, and it helps get bug guts off of them easier.
+ ****ing 1

I need to wetsand mine so bad. When I can afford it, I plan on it. 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 then compound it with my buffer and decrease in that then follow up with a sealer. UV Sealer-Helmsman Spar Urethane(Indoor/Outdoor)Clear Gloss mixed with Mineral Spirits (1part urethane to 1 part mineral spirits.

·
Registered
978 Posts
i feel ya, i just got new smoked out headlights on mine. sealed them with RTV and made sure there were no leaks and right after installing them and getting them lined up....i put 2 coats of wax on them. everytime i wax my car i make sure to put a good wax on them so they wont get so much road grime/bug guts and crap on them. i tried sanding my OEM ones with 1200 and putting a coat of clear on it and it didnt look right so i just put down 200 bones and got some new ones anyways.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I'm gonna put a coat of wax on them after class tonight.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
i feel ya, i just got new smoked out headlights on mine. sealed them with RTV and made sure there were no leaks and right after installing them and getting them lined up....i put 2 coats of wax on them. everytime i wax my car i make sure to put a good wax on them so they wont get so much road grime/bug guts and crap on them. i tried sanding my OEM ones with 1200 and putting a coat of clear on it and it didnt look right so i just put down 200 bones and got some new ones anyways.
Did you follow it up with 1500 then 2000? After that you need to buff it out prefereably with a compound. It works and saves ALOT of money.

·
Registered
343 Posts
3m swirl mark remover with a buffer makes them look like new, and then i use nu-finish wax to keep them looking nice, works great

·
Registered
499 Posts
buffing the mother ****er dont work, its not paint dumbass, what material is there, that will buff hard plastic, not gonna happen all it does is melt the plastic, sand it with some fine sand paper and clear and problem solved for life!!!!!! or go waste your money on some new ones

·
Registered
343 Posts
You're kidding right? They even have kits to do it, this way's just cheaper, the only difference is they give you a thing for your drill. You just use a buffer at low speed and it does the exact same thing, i will take a picture and show you

·
Registered
499 Posts
i know theres a kit for it, read above post by me, i said there was, but it is cheaper to sand a clear it, maybe 20 to 30$ in it compared to the price of the kit

·
Registered
343 Posts
right, sanding with 1200... that'll probably work, i figured ppl would have swirl mark remover laying around from polishing their cars, and it's 2400 grit

1 - 20 of 22 Posts