Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be swapping my motor soon, along with an aftermarket k-member.

For Removal, would you:

1. pull the motor out the top, then unbolt and remove the k-member?

or

2. Drop the k-member and motor out the bottom as one unit?

For option 2, about how high does my car need to be from the ground? Is this even possible on jackstands?

If option 2 is the preferred method, should I keep the tranny attached to motor and drop it out as one unit?

For installation, would you:

1. Install the K-member, then drop the motor in from the top?

or

2. Mount the motor on the k-member and lift the entire assembly from beneath the car into place?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have always just pulled mustang engines from the top. I then dropped the K-member and all. Every one will always have a better ide so do it the way you feel the most confortable.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Drop the motor out the bottom with the k-member as one unit, and include the transmission. Put the new motor in the new k-member and have that ready to go in. Drop the engine/k-member combo out and slide it out of the way and slide the new in place and then drop the car down on top of it.

All this has to be done with a lift. If you dont have access to one, you'll have to pull the motor from the top and then take the k-member out the bottom. then put the new k in and drop the motor in onto it.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Drop the motor out the bottom with the k-member as one unit, and include the transmission. Put the new motor in the new k-member and have that ready to go in. Drop the engine/k-member combo out and slide it out of the way and slide the new in place and then drop the car down on top of it.

All this has to be done with a lift. If you dont have access to one, you'll have to pull the motor from the top and then take the k-member out the bottom. then put the new k in and drop the motor in onto it.
Not true about the lift. Didn't someone have a thread where they did this without a lift? Just a giant wood A-frame the size of a swingset and a block and tackle. Lifted up the nose of the car with it and rolled the assembly out.

But if you're doing a K-member too that would suggest doing it all together would be easiest if possible. I'm not speaking from experience though.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why I posted this. I was curious to see if it's possible to drop the whole thing out the bottom with the car only on jackstands. The guys on horsepower dropped the k-member, motor and trans out of a camero with it only on jackstands, so I didn't know if it could be done on a stang.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
That's why I posted this. I was curious to see if it's possible to drop the whole thing out the bottom with the car only on jackstands. The guys on horsepower dropped the k-member, motor and trans out of a camero with it only on jackstands, so I didn't know if it could be done on a stang.
Keep in mind anything is possible, but it can be a huge pain. If you do take it out the bottom you'll have to somehow get the car pretty high up.

And don't pay attention to horsepower. They make everything look so easy. Like no bolts ever get stripped, or seized... You never see them cussing and hitting things with a hammer. :eek:

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I havent pulled a motor, but I would assume the easiest way is get the front of the car high up on jack stands (duh) remove the drive shaft, midpipe, shifter, etc... support the motor, unbolt the motor from the k member, pull the motor with the tranny, drop the K. I would think? Just seems to easiest in writing.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
I've done it both ways and I prefer taking it out the top of the car.

If you have the engine on the k it becomes hard to line up with the bolt holes. Took me 3 hours of small adjustments just to get the k centered again on a lift.

Also it's darn near impossible on jack stands to go out the bottom.

·
Registered
994 Posts
is it possible to pull the motor while leaving the tranny in place? it just seems really hard to reach those tranny bolts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
From experience, its easiest to drop it out of the bottom. Had to do it with my car, although it was on a lift. It took us a little over 4 hours with 2 of us working on it to swap the motor and transmission in my car.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i pulled my motor out the top with the trans hooked up. only took me a couple of hours to get it out. i used a engine leveler to help out with the angle.

·
Cone Killer
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have the engine on the k it becomes hard to line up with the bolt holes. Took me 3 hours of small adjustments just to get the k centered again on a lift.
This is something I was worried about. I had a feeling that aligning the k-member correclty with the motor attached could be difficult. This makes me think I'll install the k-member first, then drop the new motor in. With the extra clearance, it should be easier to install it.

For removal, I might try to drop in out the bottom. The worst thing that happens is I don't have enough clearance to slide it out, unbolt the motor from the k-member, jack it back up and hank it out the top.

Is a leveler pretty much required to pull one of these motors?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts