Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am preping to take the valve covers off to paint them I took the intake off and moved the throttle body plates while the battery was still connected :banghead. So I immediately realized what I had done and now the car WILL NOT run.

Did I completely screw up the car or will a simple battery disconnect for 20 minutes cure the issue? I am in full fledged panic mode right about now so hopefully she will be OK.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it now looks like I have a $600 FRPP TB paperweight. After 20 minutes of the battery being disconnected it still will not start and immediately goes into failesafe mode.

Freaking perfect. Now looks like the stock TB is going back on. So pissed right now.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
Well it now looks like I have a $600 FRPP TB paperweight. After 20 minutes of the battery being disconnected it still will not start and immediately goes into failesafe mode.

Freaking perfect. Now looks like the stock TB is going back on. So pissed right now.
Who told you that? I'm not sure I would jump to that conclusion just yet. You may be able to use your stock TPS and motor with the FRPP throttle body?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have to agree on this one. Pull off the old TPS and put it on the FRPP piece. Should take maybe 10 minutes and doesnt cost you a cent. A;ways take a deep breath before panicking

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The thing that I don't understand is that, how could moving the blades with the battery still attached kill the TPS?

Oh also, I took the TB off the car and the blades do not snap back closed if I move them. Is there something else wrong with the TB?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, another weird thing is that the blades were open about 45 degrees when I took the intake off. I thought for sure that disconnecting the battery would fix the issue.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
i remove my throttle body with the battery connected every couple months...no issues. Sounds like something else is the culprit...keeping it from closing all the way sounds mechanical to me.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sounds like a problem unrelated to the battery remaining connected. Back track every step, get a close look at everything. Are all connections hooked up??? It's more than likely something stupid like that. This **** happens all the time, even to experienced techs.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
I've opened my TB up with the batt still connected to clean it with seafoam. I can't imagine you ****ed anything up that can't be reversed.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've opened my TB up with the batt still connected to clean it with seafoam. I can't imagine you ****ed anything up that can't be reversed.
Do you still have the stock TB? if not did the blades spring back shut? cause for some reason the blades on the FRPP one that I have they will not spring back. Almost seems like the spring or something is broken.

Thats what I was thinking, but I hooked up the old TB and re-tuned for it and everything runs perfect. So, I am going to try and bring it back to Ford (where I bought it) and see if they can do anything. I sure hope FRPP has some sort of warranty (I bought it in January of this year).

·
Registered
77 Posts
have u tried the reset button below steering column?? my car would do the same thing and i would have to reset the fuel pump....good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why would moving the throttle body while it is connected mess things up? I used to clean my scion tc, also throttle by wire, with the battery still connected, never an issue.

Anywho, here is a video from Brenspeed on how to clean your Throttle body, maybe it will help?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think there is a mechanical issue as the plates are suppose to close shut when you open them and let them go. When I bought the throttle body the butterflies would close shut quickly when I opened them and let them go, now nothing they just stay wide open when you let the go. the car went into failsafe mode and giving it gas did absolutely nothing. I think either the butterfly motor is done or that spring that is suppose to close them is broken or out of place.

·
Eat Springs, **** Valves
9,332 Posts
I think there is a mechanical issue as the plates are suppose to close shut when you open them and let them go. When I bought the throttle body the butterflies would close shut quickly when I opened them and let them go, now nothing they just stay wide open when you let the go. the car went into failsafe mode and giving it gas did absolutely nothing. I think either the butterfly motor is done or that spring that is suppose to close them is broken or out of place.
If they won't do anything for you at Ford, try putting your stock motor on it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If they won't do anything for you at Ford, try putting your stock motor on it.
I can do that, but I am not sure if I want to risk the stock TB no longer working if the FRPP one still doesn't work. I would rather have one working TB then 2 broken ones. It sucks but I guess it comes with the territory. I'm not sure how much extra HP the TB was giving me either, maybe I didn't gain anything from the TB and I am better off with the stocker. I'm pretty good in there with the Ford Racing manager at the local dealer so maybe he can do something for me, too bad I have to wait until Monday.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I feel retarded, all of that just to paint the damn valve covers.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
have you pulled it apart to see if reclocking it will help. also, why were you removing the intake to pull the valve covers

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Sounds like a problem unrelated to the battery remaining connected. Back track every step, get a close look at everything. Are all connections hooked up??? It's more than likely something stupid like that. This **** happens all the time, even to experienced techs.
I agree. I've opened the blades on mine before with the battery connected and never ran into this.

have you pulled it apart to see if reclocking it will help. also, why were you removing the intake to pull the valve covers
I can see how that would give more room.

·
Your Mom's Favorite
2,452 Posts
I would also check this. There is a spring under a plastic cap on the motor side, if that cap rotated or the spring came undone, your car may fail the pre-start throttle body sweep test and not allow the engine to start. You should have a wrench light if that was the case, though. Might be worth a look. You can find instructions on the BBK website for their 62mm TB install that details the removal and installation of the parts in question (they should be the same as yours, since they all work the same way).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts