Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my name is alfred and i'm new to the forums. I hope to get some pics of my stang up soon. I am in the process of changing my pan and am pulling the motor. I have aluminum heads and usually would pull the motor with a plate but I don't want to hurt the heads. What do you guys suggest as attachment points for attaching the engine hoist? I just want to see what you guys have done so I don't cause any problems. Thanks..

·
Registered
170 Posts
I stuck screws in where the carberator holes are in the intake and pulled it out with a chain........worked fine.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I would never pull a motor buy puttin screws in the intake manifold!! You are lucky it did not rip the threads out!! They are aluminum and are not made to handle that kind of weight. Put some grade 8 bolts in the heads and use some large washers on the head side so the chain does not marr the heads. I have never scratched or marred a head pullin a motor.. just take your time and be careful...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hahah...of course i filled all 4 holes, but why do you think they sell the plate that goes over the intake with the rings....of course they are strong enough

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I myself would not do it that way.. Thats just me i guess

·
Registered
170 Posts
nah i'm not saying your wrong i was actually just asking.....maybe your right, they do come out with alot of after market **** that doesn't work. I personally did not use the plate though haha. I hooked the ghetto rig up lol.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I just dont feel comfortable lifting a heavy motor with aluminum threads...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Take a long enough chain to stretch from back of heads to front of heads. Put bolt through chain and tighten down, then stretch chain to opposite head front and put a bolt in it and tighten it down then u can lift the motor out easy, make sure u got a tough chain. I would take the intake off to do this to keep from damaging intake.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Stangzilla said:
I would never pull a motor buy puttin screws in the intake manifold!! You are lucky it did not rip the threads out!! They are aluminum and are not made to handle that kind of weight. Put some grade 8 bolts in the heads and use some large washers on the head side so the chain does not marr the heads. I have never scratched or marred a head pullin a motor.. just take your time and be careful...

Said that but thanks though... :spank

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome guys sounds like the bolts in the heads is the way to go. I just though that if I put bolts in the heads it would be bad cause they are aluminum but I guys they are bolted down tight so it should be ok. I appreciate all the replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts