Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everytime i go to pump gas i put the nozzle in the tank hole and i pull up the handle and i can never pull it up all the way because it'll pop and wont pump so i have to gently pull the handle and it wont pop but it'll take forever... and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem????​

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
I ahve this problem everytime I got this certian gas station ( the closest 93 to my house ). I just go to a different gas station and it doesnt do it. Try that, if it doesnt work, someone a long time ago went to ford about this and they put a new tank in his car... Also there might be a TSB...

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had that problem in the past with different cars at different times and stations, but not enough for me to think it was anything other than a pump malfunction. Haven't had it happen with my Mustang.

·
Banned
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always go to this shell the closest gas station to my house and cheapest i thought it might be the pump i was at but i went to all of the other ones their and it does the same but i guess next time ill try a different station and see what happens and if it does the same ill prolly go to ford and see whats up..

·
Registered
644 Posts
Known issue. I just had to find a place where the pressure delivery was slow or had to go half-throttle (sucks in cold weather)..

Ford TSB and Ford Recalls

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay everytime i go to pump gas i put the nozzle in the tank hole and i pull up the handle and i can never pull it up all the way because it'll pop and wont pump so i have to gently pull the handle and it wont pop but it'll take forever... and i was wondering if anyone else has this problem????​
This is a problem with our cars. I have an 05 also. Some gas stations are easier than others but here is the fix.There is a TSB on this and the dealer will take care of it by either replacing the hose or the entire tank in some cases.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I had that problem with my 06 V6... I havent had it many times with my 06 Gt once or twice...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
My 06 GT was having the same problem when I pump gas on base, but someone showed my a little secret. After inserting the nozzel, turn the handle towards the rear of the car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seems like I read on another site that you could turn the pump handle upside down. But yeah It IS a known issue though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There is a TSB, and in the end the dealer can't really do anything. It's a very bad saddle tank design that straddles the drive shaft. I took mine in, they changed the tank, but told me ahead of time to not expect success. They were staggeringly correct, a total waste of my day.

On the bright side, you quickly get used to doing the tricks to fill your tank. I've gotten so used to it that I can't remember the last time the pump kicked off prematurely.

For me, personally, I put the pump in, deliberately make sure it's well seated, squeeze the pump gradually until it's all the way down. I than slowly let go of the pump, back away from the car quietly, and wait for the click. If, for some reason, the pump shuts off prematurely I just call it quits and come back another day. That used to be the norm, but now a complete fill is usually the norm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
has it been popping since u bought the car? do u know if a new gas tank was installed at some point? my 1st mustang was a 94 v6. the gas tank had been replaced b4 i got it and i had the same problem. i could only put in about 10 cents b4 it would pop and it sucked so bad. ur problem is either a kink in the air release hose which is relatively easy to fix on ur own if u can locate it and/or cheap to do if u bring it to a mechanic, or if there is a new gas tank on there and it was put on by a retard(which was my case) and they simply didnt install the air release line, which im not sure how much would cost to fix or wat has to be done to fix it, i just dealed wit the problem until i got rid of the car. i no it sucks tho believe me especially in the winter, i had that thing 2 years i only filled it up twice and took about a 1/2 hr both times lol. i would usually just put 5 bucks in which would get me far enough in a v6. good luck tho.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with roadrunner and the others. The TSB seems like more of a gesture to acknowledge the problem but the fix isn't much a fix. I went through the same thing with my dealer with the same results......

·
Registered
26 Posts
i mean it could be the same problem i had im not saying it definatley is, i didnt read the whole post i just saw the title and figured id tell my story lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a TSB, and in the end the dealer can't really do anything. It's a very bad saddle tank design that straddles the drive shaft. I took mine in, they changed the tank, but told me ahead of time to not expect success. They were staggeringly correct, a total waste of my day.

On the bright side, you quickly get used to doing the tricks to fill your tank. I've gotten so used to it that I can't remember the last time the pump kicked off prematurely.

For me, personally, I put the pump in, deliberately make sure it's well seated, squeeze the pump gradually until it's all the way down. I than slowly let go of the pump, back away from the car quietly, and wait for the click. If, for some reason, the pump shuts off prematurely I just call it quits and come back another day. That used to be the norm, but now a complete fill is usually the norm.
Been there!:lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
The only problem I have is paying for the gas. Over $3. today, **** I'm gonna have to slow down.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts