Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright sportsfans. I took on a big project this 3-day weekend to make my engine look pretty. I spent the past few weekends painting a set of valve covers and most of you have prolly already seen them but I also painted my fuel rails and my throttle body. I stripped them down with brake cleaner, sanded, primered, painted AND put on a liberal amount of clear coat.

I used DupliColor Engine Enamel that is good for high temps. Now no flaming, but I went with "Chrysler Hemi Orange" because it was the closest to "Burnt Orange" (Hook 'em Horns!) Here's a plethera of pics so ENJOY!!! (As it turns out, you can only put 15 pics in a single posting. This was far fewer than my 58 pics I tried to share. LOL!)

·
Registered
191 Posts
God, if it wasnt that GOD AWFUL COLOR IT WOULD BE AWSOME...

SPEK!~

(ugh i hate saying that to a horn)

·
Registered
191 Posts
LOL...

of course I did. I chimed in in the last thread about the valve covers too!!! I think its the sweetest mod I've seen on this forum, sans EMAY's car. I think I am going to do it in a nice FORD blue.

HEY TEXAN... Got any more of those decals?

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seriously considered doing it in blue metal flake, but I wanted it to be a little more flashy. I think you can still special order the decals through xenon, but he just can't advertise it anymore. If you put them on the valve covers, you might want some a little bigger. Just seem a tad too small....

Hey, and next weekend I'm putting in a hurst...so I'm gonna need a crew member number! YEEESSSSS!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Not sure the hurst number... but welcome to the club! I'm only a member because of the 70, for the 07 its on the wish list. (she agreed to springs since i need an alignment)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Nice job looks great! U use a high temp paint?

·
Registered
818 Posts
That came out amazing...+1 on ford blue though. Nice work!!

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everybody and the kudos. I probably spent about 20 hours on this project. I also painted a thermostat housing pipe (not sure if that's what it's called but it's the pipe that curves around behind the alternator) I'm going to replace it whenever I get in there to install a set of CMCV's. You think someone would trade a set of CMCV's for a painted set of valve covers? Maybe I can get a trade if I paint to order...we'll see...

·
Doctor of Jurisprudence
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like I'm gonna try something like that next weekend...
I'd recommend painting one weekend, and installing the next. At minimum, give the paint 24 hours to dry so that the enamel is hard enough to withstand the bumping around that happens while installing.

Oh and a little tip I learned, when you're installing your painted pieces, put a few strips of the painters tape on for protection.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
I'd recommend painting one weekend, and installing the next. At minimum, give the paint 24 hours to dry so that the enamel is hard enough to withstand the bumping around that happens while installing.

Oh and a little tip I learned, when you're installing your painted pieces, put a few strips of the painters tape on for protection.

I'd have to wait till summer for that... I'll just do it friday and install it sunday.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts