Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any possible way to swap in a 408 stroker and make it fuel injected to pass inspection in ny. I found a great deal on a 408 but still want to pass inspection. Is this possible?

·
Registered
808 Posts
If it wasn't offered by the factory as an option I don't think it will pass inspection. If they don't look at the engine (do a visual) and just do a emissions test and it passes I guess you could pass the inspection. This is one good reason to live in a non emissions state.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Using a 408 pushrod engine in the 2000? Careful with that one. I like the idea, but check your DMV first.

Generally, for a daily driven street car, the engine being used must be of the same year as the vehicle in which it will be used, and/or have been a factory option for that particular model. The last year for a pushrod powered Mustang was 95. That is quite a few years older than your 2000 so based on that alone, you will not pass a visual. The only model to have a pushrod 302 for 2000 was the Explorer, and it was never an option in the Mustang. As soon as they pop the hood...FAIL.

I like the idea of a 408 in a NE, but check with the DMV first. It would suck big time doing the swap, taking it in to get inspected, and being told it wont pass with the 408. All that time and money wasted.

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Even if you get a shop that's friendly enough to look the other way about what engine is under the hood, you're going to need to somehow have an ECM capable of running OBDII diagnostics. That's no easy feat. I can't think of any stand-alones that would be capable of that.

I don't think the computer you have now could run a 408 without a lot of manipulation. Ignition could be resolved with the 96-98 coil packs. If you run a 96-98 ECM you could run a return fuel system which would simplify that.

But you'd still need to somehow get the crank trigger and cam sensor to work, not to mention your EGR and O2 sensors, not to mention tune it to that displacement.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If they dont pop the hood or scan the computer then your good to go. just get a different K member, convert to carb or get a standalone EFI system ( big stuff 3 or megaquirt)

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
In NY if the CEL light isnt on and it has cats it will pass. They dont pop the hood at all. Where in NY do you live? Im from rochester.
They have to run a computer using the year appropriate protocol (in this case, OBDII) which is done through Albany. This means you have to have all the monitors such as O2 Sensors, EGR, etc... and they all have to be set.

It's not as simple as no CEL = inspection sticker.

You also can't run a standalone since they don't have those diagnostics which are federally mandated. That's why my one friend running an AEM standalone went with a pre-OBDI chassis, so it is visual inspection only.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I'm gonna go with don't bother on this one

Just because you found a good deal on an engine doesn't mean you should spend 10 grand trying to make it work with your car and still pass inspection

It would be one thing if you were going to strip your car out and run the engine carbed for the track only, but come on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts