Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently ran some SeaFoam through my car, 1/3 in the vac lines, 1/3 in the crankcase, 1/3 in the gas tank, and there was virtually no smoke. I think if I do it again I'll increase the volume I add, or maybe the car wasn't very dirty to begin with. Who knows.

Anyway, I'm getting side-tracked. I talked to a gearhead a know and he said to not use any sort of engine flush (SeaFoam, etc) ever again because they can eat at the seals and such and cause some big issues later. I searched the wonderful internet and found nothing negative about SeaFoam which led me to believe he was being overly cautious. True? I'm curious...

While searching for SeaFoam info, however, I ran across several forums about people using WATER to clean out their motor, similar to the vac line step of the SeaFoam treatment. This is counter to what I've always believed about water in my motor, and I am very curious if it is actually as good as what people say.

In short, can SeaFoam damage my car? Is it actually good to clean my motor using water in the vacuum line?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
seafoum and water can damage ur engine if done wrong, water is an old school trick lol my auto teacher showed us how to use water, but it was on a carb moor

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
I wouldnt put seafoam in the gas tank, and with the oil, dont let it sit very long. When I put seafoam in my oil I put it in after work and then drive home and then do an oil change.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
just do the 1/3 1/3 1/3 like everyone does, do it how the write ups say,seafoam can cause damage, really only if you left it in your oil or intake and never blew it out, and didn't change your oil.

if you follow the guidelines you'll be fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I did it the correct way, changed my oil the same day. I was curious mostly about the water trick. They were saying a mist of hot water going into the vacuum line before the TB cleans the top end better than most, if not all, products out there and can be done on carb or EFI motors. I don't think I'd try anything like that until after tech school but I was curious.

On a side note, I filled my tank today and did the math, I'm getting about 1.5mpg better fuel economy now! So I'm guessing the SeaFoam worked.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Yes, water will work just like Seafoam does when it comes to cleaning the combustion chambers/piston tops. Either one can hydrolock the engine if you let it ingest it too quickly.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hydrolock from ingesting 5 oz of seafoam?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
The thread title reminded me of the idiot who ran water through his engine to "clean out" the oil to do an oil change on his I think SN95 Cobra.

·
Registered
428 Posts
^^ I read that thread! He literally poured water into the top, as the oil plug was removed with the car running! Then bitched how bad his car sucked!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Haha, good times. I read that a long time ago. He looks just a bit on the stupid side.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
The thread title reminded me of the idiot who ran water through his engine to "clean out" the oil to do an oil change on his I think SN95 Cobra.
I was thinking it was gonna be one of those too.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll be reading that thread now, you've piqued my curiosity!

And that picture makes the thread...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Seafoam was first produced in the early 50's the clean out marine engines (that's the "sea" part), that were routinely run cold, and/or improperly stored for extended periods.

So unless your car is a boat, being run cold regularly and/or improperly stored for long periods, there is no reason to EVER use Seafoam...

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
In the old days, a mechanic showed me the trick of pouring water into the carburator to clean the motor. He did it to my Dodge and I've never seen it done again. You need to use Seaform or water when you start getting carbon build up on the valves. You get carbon build up from low rpm operation or idling in heavy traffic. I use an even more basic technique to prevent carbon build up. I prevent it almost every day my reving my motor above 5000 rpms.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Okay so I changed my oil 4800 miles ago and about 1800 miles after that i used seafoam, 1/3 in each and left it in my oil because it said on the bottle it was good for long term cleaning.. I have 200 miles left till i change my oil, should I go ahead and change it now? Was that bad for my engine leaving the sea foam in?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I do seafoam once a year and never had an issue. Like they said u follow the directions u will have no problems.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Okay so I changed my oil 4800 miles ago and about 1800 miles after that i used seafoam, 1/3 in each and left it in my oil because it said on the bottle it was good for long term cleaning.. I have 200 miles left till i change my oil, should I go ahead and change it now? Was that bad for my engine leaving the sea foam in?
All the crap its cleaning off will clog ur oil filter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts