Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a dual exhaust with a Pypes catted x-pipe on my '99 V6 this week, but I have leaks at the headers. Turns out I didn't put in the sleeves that are supposed to go there. I bought it used from a guy on 3.8 forums but that was about a year ago and he never included them. I've e-mailed Pypes for the past week with no response from either Tech or Sales Dept.

I was just wondering if there's anywhere else I can buy similar sleeves? If not, I guess calling Pypes on Monday would be my only chance IF they sell them separately?

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Idk what to tell you to be honest. I can't get my Mac O/R h to stop leaking at the headers.
From what it seems, aftermarket midpipes do NOT actually bolt up to stock manifolds, atleast without leaking.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
sorry you got an xpipe....now that i've said that

since you bought it used the flanges could be warped...pull the midpipe and run it to an exhuast shop...they put a rubber cone in the end and repound it to a tight circle...at least on my GT that's a good way to fix that issue :yes

also a little exhuast gasket maker does wonders to seal up the flanges when reinstalled

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts

since you bought it used the flanges could be warped...pull the midpipe and run it to an exhuast shop...they put a rubber cone in the end and repound it to a tight circle...at least on my GT that's a good way to fix that issue :yes

also a little exhuast gasket maker does wonders to seal up the flanges when reinstalled
seems to be my problem. Warped flanges.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have the same kit here are a few pictures of what it looked like out of the box.

I think you need the top picture, it also came with TWO gaskets which were cheap in quality and I purchased better from the box auto part store down the road. had a problem with my after market header and egr tubes but not with the mid pipe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually pulled off the midpipe this morning. Turns out the sleeves were welded in by the previous owner and they look like they seal good. From what I saw, though, it seems the two arms that attach to the headers are actually placed wider than where they should meet the headers. Not sure if I should get it bent to fit or what?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And I might actually do that. Any way to tell visually if they're warped?

Oh and that Jayden James in your avatar is distracting :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the same kit here are a few pictures of what it looked like out of the box.

I think you need the top picture, it also came with TWO gaskets which were cheap in quality and I purchased better from the box auto part store down the road. had a problem with my after market header and egr tubes but not with the mid pipe.
I have a pair of these PYPES pipes left over from my exhaust install. My car is still california smog legal which means the stock cats could not be removed. I could not use the Pypes cats or the flanged pipes, only the X itself.

If you want a brand new set of flanged pipes, PM me. They are just taking up space in our apartment and I'd love to see them find a use. I still have the Pypes Cats as well if anybody's interested.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a pair of these PYPES pipes left over from my exhaust install. My car is still california smog legal which means the stock cats could not be removed. I could not use the Pypes cats or the flanged pipes, only the X itself.

If you want a brand new set of flanged pipes, PM me. They are just taking up space in our apartment and I'd love to see them find a use. I still have the Pypes Cats as well if anybody's interested.

Thanks
I'll let you know, Jetflo. I'm gonna take the pipe to an exhaust shop tomorrow so let's hope they find the problem :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: Got it fixed today! Turns out the bolts that they had put in, were too weak. They re-aligned everything today and it fits perfectly! Thanks, MM for the suggestions, though! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts