Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys I actually went and got a set of pypes Violators for my 08 GT and when I turned the car on, Boy they sounded good but....................

I noticed that on the freeway, If I let off the gas a bit, and slowed a bit down AND accelerated normally to gain speed, it made a super loud base sound, I am assuming it is drone, cause it sounds deep, and super loud, I have to pretty much feather the throttle. I noticed some acceleration gains but the drone kill it :mad:

What should I do, I threw the stockers back on, after like 5 days of use.

Should I throw them back on? Do they sound better with time?

I have the Stock Cats and H-pipe

Ill post up a vid of it at idle

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Pretty much any muffler that is chambered is going to drone, (Flowmaster, Magnaflow etc.) That's just nature of the beast. If you get *I think they're called resonator type mufflers* like SLP Loudmouth, or Pype Bombs, they will not drone, but they get raspy. Just have to find one that suits you. I have Flowmaster 44s, they drone quite a bit, but at WOT they sound sick. They will always do it, and will not go away. Use youtube, and watch some peoples videos, and find one that you like, and can live with.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Yeah they drone a little bit. I got mine used and at part throttle they drone. I usually just adjust my rpms and run a little higher than normal and the drone is gone. Well now I have an offroad H-pipe so I cant hear anything but the roar of the engine or rumble at idle.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love how muscle cars sounds and loud is good, but the tone is like deep and sometimes deafning, could Ihave done something wrong? I'm going to try them out again for a week or two if i'm not convinced ill probable sell them.

The thing is that I looked over youtube and our sounds sticky forum, and the violators sound grerat on those cars, Idk if it is because im running the stock hpipe and cats. I dont want to mess with the emission stuff since im here in CA, but I even thought about stock mufflers with an Xpipe

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I love the drone IMO. The louder the better for me, it's like music to me.

I would put them back on.
Did the drone or sound get better with use? Just wondering cause ive seen people post that they need to be broken in

·
Registered
91 Posts
the pypes mid muffler setup doesnt drone at all. its going to sound a little louder than your violaters though.

im out in brentwood and have the mm system lemme know if you wanna hear it in person or somethin. youtube vids dont do any exhaust justice

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sounds Good, Might just keep them till I save up for a mid muffler system, I dont mind it being loud, just not obnouxiously loud, Especially when going out with the lady, wanna be able to hear her ha

·
Registered
91 Posts
yeah i hear you. i have an off road H paired with the mid mufflers and i think it sounds great, you dont hear it too much in the cabin at all. (if i had a camera id post a vid of the inside)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sry if it's a stupid question but, what goes where the H-Pipe part is at? It looks detatched, Has to be welded?

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
When you get an O/R H-or-X pipe, that replaces everything from the manifold to the axle backs. If you're in CA, I'd leave it alone. Or, maybe find a way around it, I don't know how it works over there. (I've just heard it's pretty anal) Ad no, mufflers don't need a break in period.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When you get an O/R H-or-X pipe, that replaces everything from the manifold to the axle backs. If you're in CA, I'd leave it alone. Or, maybe find a way around it, I don't know how it works over there. (I've just heard it's pretty anal) Ad no, mufflers don't need a break in period.
Thanks, Makes sense, Yea they are pretty anal here with emissions and crap

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My pypes H-pipe was 4 separate pieces. Just clamped together. As long as you have the clamps nice and tight and straight it shouldnt leak too bad if at all. You can weld it if you'd like. The H part clamps together as well.

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
i have violators with the pypes long tubes and pypes catted x. It drones at almost exactly 2600 rpm, and not above or below that. I can vary the throttle and it will go away. Really only a problem at 70 mph or so, so I just go a little faster/slower (faster). It's hilly in central TX, so sometimes it will drone going up and not going down...
Mufflers with fiberglass packing (or others, like stainless steel packing) will settle in after a while. I wouldn't call it "break in" but the packing gets compressed or something. I like the violators, but I'd like to add a prochamber...

·
Registered
91 Posts
unfortunately it is illegal to run the off road h pipe but if you were to get it the pipes all clamp together and it would definitely be a good idea to weld the connections unless you can tighten the clamps hard enough.

this is a vid of the same setup i have, its not really as loud as the vid shows

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Almost all mufflers have some kind of drone.

Corsa's are one of the few mufflers that dont, If you dont wanna have drone and wanna be really loud than Corsa extremes are up your alley.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I have a nice little drone on my car and you will learn when it kicks in and what rpm's to drive at, also can just down shift to raise the rpm's and it will go away! just dont want to get caught driving at that speed for a long period of time!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts